Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

15 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

But didn't Wales have a whole industry dedicated to digging up fossils and then burning the evidence? :)

I've kept a small number, and we've donated one stunning example to the museum (no, really).

There used to be coal piled high as far as the eye could see around here and as kids we realised that the big stuff did often contain incredible preserved pieces. I've got a couple of large fern leaves wrapped up and tucked in a cupboard somewhere. From memory the one we gave to the museum was a piece about 300 / 400mm long that looked like somebody had simply pressed a perfectly preserved flowering fern type thing.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I've kept a small number, and we've donated one stunning example to the museum (no, really).

There used to be coal piled high as far as the eye could see around here and as kids we realised that the big stuff did often contain incredible preserved pieces. I've got a couple of large fern leaves wrapped up and tucked in a cupboard somewhere. From memory the one we gave to the museum was a piece about 300 / 400mm long that looked like somebody had simply pressed a perfectly preserved flowering fern type thing.

Things of wonder!

The good news is that ferns suggest that it was still raining a lot in Wales back in the carboniferous period. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Dinosaurs didn't have feathers because they didn't exist, their fossils are man made and planted by the disciples of Lucifer to try and make people question the word of God!

Silly boy 

(I once had this said to me by an actual real person in all seriousness who until that point I thought was fairly normal. Funny and a little worrying)

A former member of this very site used to come out with stuff like that.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Would love to see something like that, any chance you could post a picture when you have a moment?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Risso said:

Would love to see something like that, any chance you could post a picture when you have a moment?

Strange thing is, I haven't touched them in years but I know exactly where they are: the old man's garage, back of cupboard number 1, wrapped in newspaper and behind the axle stands. Photographic memory for random shit, but absolutely no idea where my car keys are or where the house insurance might be.

Coal spill has all gone now, but we're lucky around here with the geology, we've got dinosaur footprints just out on the rocks along the coast and rock fall keeping a constant supply of new finds, small things like devil's toenail and various shell fossils you can pick up off the floor.

stock photo's but all local and walking distance from here (in fact, they're actually just outside the local municipal dump):

the puddles are footprints, various sizes of same shape suggesting a family group:

JRC_2539.jpg

TrackScale.jpg

next couple are my photos, you can see how that coast is going to reveal new stuff after every storm..

20348377455_6820f04a28_c.jpg

8940972613_16416bb915.jpg

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, BOF said:

Do they by any chance know exactly what made that?

clicky link

I don't know the guy who's put this together, or whether he knows what he's talking about, just a random web find.

On the lighthouse photo (second in the series), one of those houses is my parents'. Gets a tad windy some days.

And it's pretty obvious man was around at the time of the dinosaur, because he's always in the photographs standing right beside them.  Duh.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Risso said:

A former member of this very site used to come out with stuff like that.

That reminds me of the justification, given here once upon a time, of the Bible not saying the world is a sphere was actually because it did say it was a sphere because in the original Hebrew the word used can be translated to mean ball. As opposed to just using a word which means sphere. Or ball. Unless the Jewish faith doesn't understand what a ball is. Or never made anything spherical.

Nuts.

4 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Dinosaurs didn't have feathers because they didn't exist, their fossils are man made and planted by the disciples of Lucifer to try and make people question the word of God!

Silly boy 

(I once had this said to me by an actual real person in all seriousness who until that point I thought was fairly normal. Funny and a little worrying)

i once saw something saying dinosaurs were on noah's arc...

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i once saw something saying dinosaurs were on noah's arc...

Along with 2 suspiciously gay looking lions.  What would the sky fairy say about that I wonder!  Still, it probably resulted in the first ever ligers too.  Giggedy.

ad_170581836.jpg

• Like 1

You guys need to get real and understand the dangers of dinosaurs.

If you've never seen it, check the mumsnet thread on the subject. The starting point was this post:

I'm really concerned about dinosaurs, and I think something needs to be done. The science behind them is pretty flimsy, and I for one do not want my children being taught lies. Did you know that nobody had even heard of dinosaurs before the 1800s, when they were invented by curio-hungry Victorians?

Charles Darwin's later theory of evolution entirely disproved dinosaurs, yet the dinosaur lie was twisted and adapted to try to make it fit. Any proper look at the facts will reveal that dinosaurs simply never existed.

Aside from the educational aspect, dinosaurs are a very bad example for children. At my children's school, several children were left in tears after one of their classmates (who had evidently been exposed to dinosaurs), became bestially-minded and ran around the classroom roaring and pretending to be a dinosaur. Then he bit three children on the face. One poor girl has been left with a severely dented nose and the whole class was left traumatised by this horrible display.

Nothing about dinosaurs is suitable for children, from their total lack of family values through to their non-existence from any serious scientific point of view.

Recently my sister foolishly gave my two youngest some dinosaurs toys for Christmas. After telling her to get out of my house I burnt the dinosaurs. My children were delighted because they know that dinosaurs are evil. I am fortunate that my family has been very supportive, and has disowned my children's former aunt.

Please, do what you can to get dinosaurs taken off the curriculum. Our school has been recently presented with a 214-signature petition, and following that and our recent protest the headmaster has said that he will take it the governors. We are lucky that he is so sympathetic to our cause, but I fear that others may not be.

If you would like to lend your support to our campaign, we have a Facebook group where we spread facts and research about the dinosaur myth. Hope to see you there! :-)

Edited by choffer

That has got to be a piss-take.  It starts off believable enough to be coming from a creationist imbecile but it gets a bit too silly at the "Recently my sister foolishly ...".  A family disowning an Aunt for buying kids dinosaurs :crylaugh:

34 minutes ago, BOF said:

That has got to be a piss-take.  It starts off believable enough to be coming from a creationist imbecile but it gets a bit too silly at the "Recently my sister foolishly ...".  A family disowning an Aunt for buying kids dinosaurs :crylaugh:

Oh, I don't know. In my life I'm surrounded by them and whilst the ones in my family aren't quite at this level, I've met plenty who are (although most of them are Mer'cans). Even when it goes off the scale further down the thread, it's still entirely believable* to me.

*Believable that there are people who hold such beliefs, rather than their belief is believable to me.

2 minutes ago, choffer said:

*Believable that there are people who hold such beliefs, rather than their belief is believable to me.

Oh I understand the caveat, absolutely.  And it's within that that I still thought it became silly, but I may very well be wrong.  I may (happily) just not get exposure to that level of utter daft-bintery.

Â