Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

Beliefs. I often wonder ... 

1 - so there's religion, whichever of the God worshipping ones...

2 - that evolution is the explanation as to why we are here 

3 - or, alternate beliefs of well, extraterrestrial sort of origins 

4- a belief in nothing or being agnostic or an atheist 

I'm not exactly having an existential crisis right here on VT right now but in my ageing years, as someone not aligned with any belief above or I guess somewhere between many but without any definition, I often wonder....

shoukd I have made my mind up by now? Not with any pressure but I see holes in all "theories", even evolution itself is a theory and whilst has more credibility, I do actually have some "beef" with, but not to shoot it down. 

The intricacy and anatomy of the eye for example, the concept of sight. That a real dumbass single cell Protozoa even with millions of years genetic pass-through, will see an evolution over time of a need to see and the design via nature of organs to enable that? 

Is Mother Nature that able? What if there was a driving force? Ah well fk it. Not meaning to be balls deep here but yeah I genuinely often think , what's the answer? See things on a daily basis at work that I guess many don't but after a while, the thoughts come but can't find the answers. Ah well. 

Then take things to a micro level, right now I believe in Baileys and the cigars I ordered off the Internet that came today. I'll get me coat. 

Edited by Midfielder
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Midfielder said:

I'm not exactly having an existential crisis right here on VT right now but in my ageing years, as someone not aligned with any belief above or I guess somewhere between many but without any definition, I often wonder....

shoukd I have made my mind up by now? Not with any pressure but I see holes in all "theories", even evolution itself is a theory and whilst has more credibility, I do actually have some "beef" with, but not to shoot it down. 

The intricacy and anatomy of the eye for example, the concept of sight. That a real dumbass single cell Protozoa even with millions of years genetic pass-through, will see an evolution over time of a need to see and the design via nature of organs to enable that? 

Is Mother Nature that able? What if there was a driving force? Ah well fk it. Not meaning to be balls deep here but yeah I genuinely often think , what's the answer? See things on a daily basis at work that I guess many don't but after a while, the thoughts come but can't find the answers. Ah well. 

Then take things to a micro level, right now I believe in Baileys and the cigars I ordered off the Internet that came today. I'll get me coat. 

Have you ever read The Selfish Gene?

11 hours ago, Midfielder said:

Building on this... I do wonder why for a creature of its actual size, why the secrets of evolution have not been unlocked by snails to enhance their relative velocity. I pondered this upon stepping outside the communal entrance to my apartments... a snail, leaving it's silvery trail across the slab outside the door, in close juxtaposition to its brethren, so severely squashed underfoot by persons unseen. <_<

What more can be done to speed up (no pun) the evolutionary advance for snails and reduce the risk of their crushing underfoot?

• Like 1

even evolution itself is a theory and whilst has more credibility, I do actually have some "beef" with, but not to shoot it down.

Don't confuse the scientific term 'theory' with the common day to day definition though.  Gravity is also a scientific 'theory'.  One that I always, for example, implore religiously-minded science skeptics to try out for themselves :P

• Like 3

... but I see holes in all "theories", even evolution itself is a theory and whilst has more credibility, I do actually have some "beef" with, but not to shoot it down. 

Oh heck you don't know its only a theory because it's impossible to prove. It's also the ONLY credible explanation. Yes nature is that able

10 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Why do I still care about football?

You know it's a funny thing. I've very little interest in any football beyond Villa these days. I've hardly watched a PL match this yr and about one or two CL games. But there is still something about watching Villa that I love. Even though we're awful to watch there is still something there I care deeply about and the whole ritual of going to the games with family etc. 

Dont get me wrong that was definitely tested last year when we got relegated. Seeing us get battered 4-0 constantly and not even try was tough to take. But now we're occasionally winning and scoring the odd goal I'm back to loving it. Even if we're as bad as ever. 

Plenty to wonder about there. Human capacity for irrationality can be a lovely thing but also a dangerous one. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Dunno, but I can say that I stopped caring about it a couple of years ago well 3 actually).

What I found was, after a period of about 2 years  or so - so basically by the start of the last season, just gone, that I could "not care about it" but sometimes go to a game as a spectator to see what happened, to have a few beers with mates, to have a day out, not really be bothered what the result was, or whta league position ensued and al lthe rest of it.

Sort of like, I dunno, going to the flicks - film might be good or bad, but it's just a day out.

I used to be a fan, now I'm a sometime "customer". Which is what football treats fans as anyway.

15 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I don't. I genuinely really couldn't give a shite about it anymore. Completely uninterested. I doubt I could even name more than 2 players in the Villa team these days

56 minutes ago, V01 said:

Why did I start typing out word removed instead letting the swear filter do it's job?

I like how the word 'clearing' is now a shorthand VT insult.

... even thought it's actually longer than the original word :ph34r:

• Like 3

I think I'd be a bit scared to bump into another VTer at a match.

"Oh, you're so and so from Villa Talk?"

"Yeah, that's me. And you're so and so? Haha crazy!"

"...yes it's a good forum isn't it?"

"Oh yes, yes, very good"

"So...what are some things that cheer you up?"

• Like 4

Â