Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

Why when its someone's birthday do they jokingly say that they are really turning a younger age? 

Girl at work was 30 the other day but said about ten times that she was really turning 23. I dont get it. Is it just a long running joke that you say it each time that its your birthday, or do people actually really want to be a younger age?

I think it is mainly a female thing and they perhaps subconsciously feel that hitting 30 means they are less desirable. Let's face it, men aren't judged nowhere near as much as women are when they get older. 

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think it is mainly a female thing and they perhaps subconsciously feel that hitting 30 means they are less desirable. Let's face it, men aren't judged nowhere near as much as women are when they get older. 

What he says. Also it depends on if they've had kids too because it's not just the advent of the big three oh, it's the ticking body clock, me and you bud were sort of same age and well if Hugh Heffner and Mick Jagger father kids in their 70s there's hope for us, so long as we have nads anyway. Women though, different matter. 

So if that women there is clocking herself back like a Y reg Mondeo there's a little bit of insecurity in there for sure. 

Or on the other hand she's like me. I'm 38 going on 18 but that's not some cosmetic ageing / inferiority complex. No, simply because I am immature, no-good f_cko but at least I know that. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

My scenario at the moment is I'm too young to die and too old to rock n roll. 

work in Cardiff, Bristol, Swindon, Barnstaple and London through the week

gig Thursday night

gig Friday night with me mixing it with the best of them for a good spot in a lively crowd strangely full of hells angels

celebrating a 6:0 win local footy on Saturday, proper drinking session 

ibuprofen gel on my knees today, Sunday

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

work in Cardiff, Bristol, Swindon, Barnstaple and London through the week

gig Thursday night

gig Friday night with me mixing it with the best of them for a good spot in a lively crowd strangely full of hells angels

celebrating a 6:0 win local footy on Saturday, proper drinking session 

ibuprofen gel on my knees today, Sunday

You must still have it :)

1 hour ago, Xela said:

You're right, now i think about it, its only ever women that say it. But the ones turning 50 will say that its their 30th. The conviction and regularity with which they say it is what troubles me, like they genuinly want to change their age. Its just strange to me cus ive always been fairly content at each age that Ive got to (like you have any other choice anyway).

One final thing, without meaning to overdo this but if they are able to go back ten years as they wish, are they going back and simply reliving their lives, knowing all along whats about to happen. Or are they going back to completely live those ten years again say. So in otherwords, completely deleting the last ten years of their life?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, turvontour said:

You're right, now i think about it, its only ever women that say it. But the ones turning 50 will say that its their 30th. The conviction and regularity with which they say it is what troubles me, like they genuinly want to change their age. Its just strange to me cus ive always been fairly content at each age that Ive got to (like you have any other choice anyway).

One final thing, without meaning to overdo this but if they are able to go back ten years as they wish, are they going back and simply reliving their lives, knowing all along whats about to happen. Or are they going back to completely live those ten years again say. So in otherwords, completely deleting the last ten years of their life?

No it's entirely what Xela says, a subconscious thing, a hardwiring that doesn't exist so much for men. You, yourself, in a room,of dudes, you don't size yourself up amongst them. With a lot of women , regardless of their pursuit of vanity or aesthetics, there in this case is a furthering away, consciously and subconsciously away from their "prime" (as they age) and so jokingly / seriously referring tomth,selves as younger age harps on to the past when they were...... Who they still want to be and miss being. 

Its primal, it's natural. Women are more aesthetic beings than men. I don't give two hoots myself as do not 90% of men but as you say there, not deleting the years but more so missing them. What I said there about you don't size yourself up , competitively in a room full of men... A lot of women do. I don't know what your workplace is but imagine an office, and a 21 year old tall, slim, perfect skin, perfect hair, walks in in heels and a body con dress.... Watch the reactions of the other women in the room. It's not even about being the alpha female , not the dominant one... Women just don't like to be reminded of their age nor what the societal norms are of being X age... Further more they don't want to be upstaged and the furthest they deter, past their socially suggested "prime" the more inherently defensive they become, again accelerated on how vain they are. 

My point is, and sorry as I've had few and clearly talking shit, but, ah sod it never mid sorry

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Don't know about anyone else and I don't want to wish my life away but I'm looking forward to being 64.

I'll be 64 next January. I'll let you know what it's like. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I'll be 64 next January. I'll let you know what it's like. 

When I get older losing my hair, 
Many years from now. 
Will you still be sending me a Valentine 
Birthday greetings bottle of wine. 

If I'd been out till quarter to three 
Would you lock the door, 
Will you still need me, will you still feed me, 
When I'm sixty-four 

You'll be older too, 
And if you say the word, 
I could stay with you. 

I could be handy, mending a fuse 
When your lights have gone. 
You can knit a sweater by the fireside 
Sunday morning go for a ride, 
Doing the garden, digging the weeds, 
Who could ask for more?

When I'm sixty-four 

Every summer we can rent a cottage, 
In the Isle of Wight, if it's not too dear 
We shall scrimp and save 
Grandchildren on your knee 
Vera, Chuck and Dave 

Send me a postcard, drop me a line 
Stating point of view 
Indicate precisely what you mean to say 
Yours sincerely, wasting away 

Give me your answer, fill in a form 
Mine for evermore 
Will you still need me, will you still feed me. 
When I'm sixty-four

12 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

When I get older losing my hair, 
Many years from now. 
Will you still be sending me a Valentine 
Birthday greetings bottle of wine. 

If I'd been out till quarter to three 
Would you lock the door, 
When I'm sixty-four 

You'll be older too, 
And if you say the word, 
I could stay with you. 

I could be handy, mending a fuse 
When your lights have gone. 
You can knit a sweater by the fireside 
Sunday morning go for a ride, 
Doing the garden, digging the weeds, 
Who could ask for more?

When I'm sixty-four 

Every summer we can rent a cottage, 
In the Isle of Wight, if it's not too dear 
We shall scrimp and save 
Grandchildren on your knee 
Vera, Chuck and Dave 

Send me a postcard, drop me a line 
Stating point of view 
Indicate precisely what you mean to say 
Yours sincerely, wasting away 

Give me your answer, fill in a form 
Mine for evermore 
Will you still need me, will you still feed me. 
When I'm sixty-four

When ever I listen to Sgt Pepper, I get to this song, tut, and think ffs Paul.

27 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I never play Sgt. Pepper. My least favourite Beatles album, by some distance. 

Really.... I mean I hardly play the Beatles anyway but that's one of my favourite albums by them. I think some albums get overhyped and this one might suffer that problem.

Â