Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

Don't know why people hate on Rafa.

Benitez is a poisoned chalice because he comes from Inter Milan and Liverpool where he is looked at as a 'failure'. I think Benitez is a manager who improves teams. There is a figure that most teams with (total wages) determine who finishes where (in regards most wages at club = most league position). Benitez has finished above this figure every single season with Liverpool (total wages in comparison to others wages) and every season bar his final one.

Did they get an improvement on points total every single season as it went by bar the last season he was there? Did they win the European Cup? Did they get to Two European Cup Finals (1 to win in the best final ever from 3-0 down)?, Did they get to three european cup semi finals? (three best ever european cup semi finals mainly against chelsea), four European cup quarter finals (Barca losing 2-1 at Anfield and they won on away goals at Anfield)?, FA Cup final winner (from 2-0 down)?, One 2nd Place finish on a points total that would win the league in 2011 (2009)?, statistically and totally top 1 in Europe by stats for the entire of 2004-2009?. Signing the likes of Alonso, Torres, Maschereno, Garcia.

Rafas our man !!!!

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone I know in the Betting Marketplace has just e mialed me to say that a client has just placed £365k on Owen Coyle as the New Villa manager !

No ITK knowledge just a word from a friend in the betting industry !

We would be VERY lucky to get Benitez - he's won the lot. It's amazing what a bit of negative press can do for you. In teh same way positive press does for MON.

Can anyone seriously argue that MON is a better manager than Benitez?

Benitez was not my cup of tea I admit - but he is succesful this is backed up by trophies - where has he failed? Inter? Poisoned Chalice after Mourinho. He was abysmal the last season at liverpool - but look at what he had to deal with - rather like DO'Ls last season at Villa under Doug.

Benitez would love to work with a decent guy like Randy and i'm sure that would be evident.

We need to look at the big picture - Benitez has a greta track record - far better than shitty also-rans that we're linekd with.

Everyone slated Houllier but I bet a fair few people would prefer him over some of the names mentioned here. Remember MON had 4 seasons, Houllier had 1 transfer window. Houllier was disappointing but you could see that once he got rid of teh crap (teh new manager will have to do the same) things were IMO on the up.

McClaren might be a great choice, but the vast majority of the fans dont want him. That means if he is hired season tickets will go down, revenues will dip, we wont have as much money to buy players and there will be tons of pressure on him to win from day one. That is why RL should not hire him. It might not be fair to McClaren, but that's all part of the equation.

Who's to say that before coming to Birmingham RL didn't stop in London for a chat with his true targets. The General has also been missing. Could it be he's in on the clandestine interview(s). Lord knows I'm not in the know but Don't rule out CA or DM. RL will not do Villa business in the press. Remember he flew to Houllier for the real interview.

Where's theTrees to give us the scoop on RL's flight plans the last two days? :lol:

talkSPORT saying we are being stupid not wanting the Wally. "I don't understand why Aston Villa fans think they are bigger than SM who do they think they are?"

Who was in charge of Wigan when Spurs whooped them 9-0? Was that Martinez?

that was martinez, i really hope we don't go for him

I thought it might have been. I don't want him as manager either. I think he would be way out of his depth. He seems like too much of a nice guy to succeed in this game.

Benitez was not my cup of tea I admit - but he is succesful this is backed up by trophies - where has he failed? Inter?

He still managed 2 trophies in that season in which he failed!

Let me get this right... Houllier leaves villa (or is told it's best to call it a day) no real surprise, it was on the cards. The next day Hughes leaves Fulham, a definate surprise to everyone at Fulham.

A week goes by & Jol is appointed manager of Fulham.

A week goes by & villa appoint nobody

My point here is Fulham had no idea they were going to be in the market for a new manager & land a bloody good one too. Villa have had the possiblity of needing to appoint a new manager for several weeks & yet we are still without one.

If Sparky does come to Villa & now it's offical Jol is Fulham manager then I think that's madness, a real side step. We should have just goon after Jol to start with as i belive he is by far a better manager than Sparky.

Hopefully i'm wrong & we'll appoint a superior manager than Jol, here's hoping anyway

I don't actually think McClaren would be an awful choice, he did well at Middlesbrough, learned a lot under Fergie during the treble winning season, and did a sensational job winning the Dutch league with FC Twente. The main thing holding him back is his shattered reputation in this country after the England fiasco, his appointment would no doubt see shirt and season ticket sales decline, which I think means he definitely won't be appointed.

Of the managers we're currently linked to I think Benitez is without a doubt the best option, that is unless there's a manager Lerner has in mind that none of us have thought of.

Someone I know in the Betting Marketplace has just e mialed me to say that a client has just placed £365k on Owen Coyle as the New Villa manager !

which bookies ?

We should be busting our balls to get Rafa to Villa.

I think he would bankrupt the club.

Our last set of accounts showed we were losing approx £100k per day, that is not sustainable and Rafa likes to spend

Liverpool are a big club with lots of income, he spent what he was given and won them trophies. I'm sure he'd discuss with Randy what sort of budget he'd be working in and then decide whether he thinks he can do anything with it.

The manager's job is to win games and trophies, its the responsibility of others at the club to make money (if that is what the owner wants?).

Benitez has also gone on record as saying he is keen to work with a club that is developing its own talent and integrating young players with the first team squad.

I think he knows that any job he is going to get - whether it be in the Premier League or elsewhere - is going to come with limitations possibly different to the situation he enjoyed at Liverpool (until they turned the money off that is). His comments certainly suggest he is prepared to work within the boundaries of the brief he is given - which could mean we see him spending what money he does have at his disposal with a little more care than the many average Spaniards that came and went at such a rate at Liverpool.

You know how one popular opinion is that Martin O'Neil is a good manager who took you into some kind of contention? And that Randy **** up in a big way by not backing him? And then basically admitted that **** up by panic-buying a striker to save you from relegation?

Do you find that point-of-view exasperating?

If you do, that's what it's like for me reading some of the unadultered, ill-informed bullshit about Rafa Benitez.

The only thing that troubles me with Rafa is his transfer record. It went downhill quite rapidly didn't it?

Here's an interesting piece. Do the maths and it shows Rafa was a shrewd investor:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/8113372/Sorry-Robbie-Savage-success-in-football-is-all-about-money-and-I-can-prove-it.html#disqus_thread

I don't know if you saw in the Ashley Young thread my post breaking down the story of how the Gareth Barry transfer failed. In summary, it broke down because nobody was pulling in the same direction.

And it was a similar story every transfer window (except the Torres one to be fair). He never truly built the team he wanted - not because he couldn't afford to but for all sorts of reasons like not moving for targets quickly enough, having funds withdrawn, CEO interference, you name it.

Rafa is highly resourceful but in the end, his resources ran dry. He started to lose his best players, the ones that stayed felt deceived and there was no way forward.

which bookies ?

:shock: