Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

talkSPORT saying we are being stupid not wanting the Wally. "I don't understand why Aston Villa fans think they are bigger than SM who do they think they are?"

:shock:

Are they actually saying that McClaren is bigger than Aston Villa? I know they talk a load of rubbish but they aren't seriously saying that are they?

Adrian Durham is saying it.

He thinks we can't do better than McClaren.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me get this right... Houllier leaves villa (or is told it's best to call it a day) no real surprise, it was on the cards. The next day Hughes leaves Fulham, a definate surprise to everyone at Fulham.

A week goes by & Jol is appointed manager of Fulham.

A week goes by & villa appoint nobody

My point here is Fulham had no idea they were going to be in the market for a new manager & land a bloody good one too. Villa have had the possiblity of needing to appoint a new manager for several weeks & yet we are still without one.

Fulham's season starts at the end of this month with the europa league. We can afford to wait, Fulham couldn't.

Granted Fulham's season starts early, But it's not like we don't have much to do either, whoever cames into villa needs to sort out Young & Downing (i'd like to sort Downing out), shift out some shite players, buy a shedload of good players so we don't end up in the same mess this season

Gadzooks, can i just say i thought Moyes was a cert to be a manager and then Ancellotti and now a bet has been placed on Coyle.

I posted what I'd heard in good faith at the time ... and whilst I'm not privvy to whether we are actually interested in Owen Coyle or not there IS movement in the marketplace ! Bets of this nature require authorisation at the very top level before being accepted ! and news is filtering out about it now !

Recent comment .....

karenfaz Karen Fazackerley

Silly season indeed - Owen Coyle down from 75/1 to 2/1 for the #Villa job in the past hour??!! http://bit.ly/dz58Yd #Bolton

Randy Lerner places a great deal of faith in the actual face to face interview of a management candidate. When he appointed Eric Mangini as Brown's coach in 2009 it was after a "compelling" interview in which EM was said to have fascinated RL.

The slight problem with trying to identify a candidate who totally shares your vision in an interview, is that less talented candidates may be better at bullsh*tting than their better qualified competitors.

I agree with this.. Was Mangenius a popular choice with the fans at the time? or was it against popular opinion?

I believe Mangini was third favorite on RL's list of three behind Cowher and Pioli. Fan's were split between those who thought that he was too young and inexperienced and also would not be liked by the squad, and those that thought that his time with Bob Belichick might stand him in good stead. Fans turned against him almost immediately after a bad start to the season.

The recent appointment of Pat Shurmur as Mangini's successor was handled by the vastly experienced Mike Holmgren rather than RL and was a surprisingly quick process. Brown's fans seem considerably more upbeat about the coming season.

I get the impression that Randy would love to implement the Browns system at Villa, with an experienced veteran DOF overseeing the signings and strategic planning, while a younger quality coach would be in charge of the day to day stuff. However that doesn't seem to be popular this side of the pond.

Thanks for the response. I remember Mangini upseting alot of the playing staff a little like Houlier.

What you're saying he's done over there is have Houlier overall in charge of running the club and then getting a Martinez type to coach the team.

Adrian Durham is an absolute tosser. He talks about Tottenham like they're in the same bracket as Barca, Real Madrid and Man Utd, completely deluded. The guy hasnt got a clue and a lot of the stuff he says is just to provoke a reaction and to get calls.

No way can someone place a bet of £365k. No company would take it.

Seems unlikely to me, but look what's just happened to Coyle's odds. Madness. Reckon the bookies have put out a stinger to raise more cash from "ITK's" that aren't in the loop

Agreed. The Villa manager market is extremely thin.

I went in to place a £25 bet last summer when O'Neill resigned and they had to phone the central office to confirm that they would take it.

Take a look at Betfair - the entire matched market so far is under £250k, and most of that went on Hughes immediately after he quit Fulham.

OK what with whats happened today here's my new list

1. Hughes

2. Martinez

3. Moyes

126. Benitez

678. McClaren

So you'd prefer a man who's kept Wigan up by the skin of his teeth, to a man who took Boro to 7th, won the League Cup, got to a European final and won a Dutch club their first ever title? Can I ask why?

Cause I dont like the bloke and think he is a tosser.

He spent a lot of money at Boro and never was higher than Villa from what I remember.

Agreed, crazy claim, i cant believe he believed his mate who text him!

Yes they would. Admittedly he'd have only got x amount at the advertised price for the bet say £10,000 at 10/1 for instance then they'd only offer probably very short odds on for the remainder of the stake.

It was probably shortened text speak. His mate probably meant he'd put a bet of £1 on bet365

:winkold:

If I was Randy, I'd be sticking £50K on somebody shit like McLeish to get the odds down and the fans worried, then when we announce Mark Hughes, everybody is more pleased than they otherwise would have been. Best £50K he'd ever spend!

A mate, who quite frankly couldn't give a toss who Villa get as manager sent me this message ... I would imagine an enquiry was lodged at a bookies to see if they would accept this level of money and what the odds were should he have his bet accepted !

Owen Coyle .. 24 hours ago was rated on some sites at 75/1 and goes to 3/1 (5/2) very quickly .... somebody either has some knowledge or has too much money !

It was probably shortened text speak. His mate probably meant he'd put a bet of £1 on bet365

£3 6/5

arrr...thats it, im just not down with da lingo innit!