dudevillaisnice

So I've joined The Grand Old Team forum, purely because someone on there asked what we'd done since 1981.

I think I've been fairly respectful. We've always given them a fair amount of respect on here but ic it was reciprocated that's seemingly gone out of the window with Slippy as our manager. 

Anyway they've become completely fixated with our signings.  They're totally convinced we've signed nothing but expensive overpaid over the hill players.  They seem to a man convinced that that is literally ALL we have bought. 

It's a little weird. 

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

So I've joined The Grand Old Team forum, purely because someone on there asked what we'd done since 1981.

I think I've been fairly respectful. We've always given them a fair amount of respect on here but ic it was reciprocated that's seemingly gone out of the window with Slippy as our manager. 

Anyway they've become completely fixated with our signings.  They're totally convinced we've signed nothing but expensive overpaid over the hill players.  They seem to a man convinced that that is literally ALL we have bought. 

It's a little weird. 

I’ve noticed a bit of hatred from them towards us since SG became manager. 

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's a little weird. 

Thing is, it’s 50/50 where we go from here in my view.

We either emulate Spurs and kick on to become one of the top 6-8 teams or we end up like Everton with overpaid and overrated players weighing us down.

I don’t think there’ll be much middle ground on this, I think we either succeed or fail so they could yet be right and they have experience of doing it themselves.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's a little weird. 

I once joined the Sunderland message board during their decline. They lashed out a lot too 

Everton fans are deluded nobs. No idea why anyone has a soft spot for them.

15 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

We either emulate Spurs and kick on to become one of the top 6-8 teams or we end up like Everton with overpaid and overrated players weighing us down.

I don’t think there’ll be much middle ground on this, I think we either succeed or fail so they could yet be right and they have experience of doing it themselves.

But who are all these players? 

Coutinho hardly cost us much, admittedly his wages are probably high.  Plus he's 30, will easily go 4 more years. 

Same for Diego Carlos at 29.

Lucas Digne is 28 

Ings is 29.

Those aside Callum Chambers 27, Bailey 23, Buendia 24, Kamara 22

So we've basically got 3 played 29 plus we've signed recently, and none signed in their 30s, l It's hardly panic stations, even if we did bring in e.g Suarez he average age would still be low. 

I think because they **** up on this they're desperate to see the same issues elsewhere. 

I'm ignoring keepers in this.

Edited by sidcow

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

But who are all these players? 

Coutinho hardly cost us much, admittedly his wages are probably high.  Plus he's 30, will easily go 4 more years. 

Same for Diego Carlos at 29.

Lucas Digne is 28 

Ings is 29.

Those aside Callum Chambers 27, Bailey 23, Buendia 24, Kamara 22

So we've basically got 3 played 29 plus we've signed recently, and none signed in their 30s, l It's hardly panic stations, even if we did bring in e.g Suarez he average age would still be low. 

I think because they **** up on this they're desperate to see the same issues elsewhere. 

I'm ignoring keepers in this.

But if we do not kick on as a club now having invested in these players it might set us back years, as it seems to have done to Everton. 

At this stage it’s as likely to happen as it is that we’ll become one of the top 8 sides.

26 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

That is a simplistic and lazy view of our business and strategy. We will emulate neither, we will do it the Villa way. I have been hearing and reading we will follow Forest/Wednesday (when we first got relegated)- Leeds (when our financial troubles hit) - Fulham (when we spent some money after promotion).  Now it is we will follow Everton because we signed a few players who are close to 30, neglecting the fact we have invested a lot in our academy and the other young players in our first team squad. With all due respect, it is nonsense.

As for Everton. Kenwright & Moshiri are like a duo of Lerner and Ellis. 🤣😨 I think It is a good sign when other clubs are upset and bitter about your club - a very good sign.

Edited by Villa_Vids
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

But if we do not kick on as a club now having invested in these players it might set us back years, as it seems to have done to Everton. 

At this stage it’s as likely to happen as it is that we’ll become one of the top 8 sides.

3 players who actually aren't all that old are not going to set us back years. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Exactly. Players in their prime to move us up the ladder and then allow the young crop to develop and then eventually replace those players.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sidcow said:

But that’s assuming we stop our spending now which I think seems unlikely dependent on who we can shift out.

Under Smith it looked like (and was publicly confirmed) that our strategy was to buy players we could develop, now it seems we’ve shifted to putting together a team that can be competitive immediately - which is fine, if it works. If it doesn’t, it could prove difficult for us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

And also, I genuinely trust our owners to make sure we get the right players and they are on the right contracts that suit both parties. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

But that’s assuming we stop our spending now which I think seems unlikely dependent on who we can shift out.

Under Smith it looked like (and was publicly confirmed) that our strategy was to buy players we could develop, now it seems we’ve shifted to putting together a team that can be competitive immediately - which is fine, if it works. If it doesn’t, it could prove difficult for us.

We are still developing players for the future, but are now supporting them with established and successful players which will help us move up the table. We have invested heavily in the youth set up, have already started playing some of them, have signed a young DM and are linked with other young players who will fill out the squad. We're (hopefully) finally going to have a balanced squad. 

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

It's a little weird. 

I was browsing that forum yesterday, and the main impression it made on me was a few posts (not a lot in number to be fair) that contained a degree of casual racism that I don't think the mods on here would tolerate at all (and rightly so).

• Like 1

Â