dudevillaisnice

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'm not sure Ancelotti will stick around to be honest.

Aging squad with very little resell value on most of the players.

He hasnt exactly improved them 

49 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Can anyone confirm if Everton have an ageing squad with little resale value?

It's mix and match tbh. Digne at 27 isn't that old and Ben Godfrey is pretty young, Mina and Keane at the back are mid 20s so not bunch of walking OAPs at the back, just not very good.

Calvert Lewin and Richarlison also both under 25 upfront so Everton could sell one of those on for 50m + if they really needed to.

Just the midfield that has loads of ageing players coasting on big money.

They're pretty much following the MON model for us the more I look at it.

Edited by VillaChris

Only Leeds (unsurprisingly) and Leicester (more surprisingly) have a worse defensive record than them in the top 11 and no-one has a worse attacking record.

Most over-hyped team of the season - probably purely because Ancelotti is manager.

2 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

... but there is a lot of overpayed overrated dross in that squad. 

The mistake a lot of teams trying to break into the fabled top 4 make, like us, under Martin O'Neill. We seem to have actually learned from our past mistakes. Can't help but think of all the teams that finished above us the Everton fans will be the most disgruntled.

Doesn't matter who the owner is and how much money he has, doesn't matter who the manager is, to an extent it doesn't matter who the academy manager is... Their biggest problem is still their chief scout

They have deadwood in central midfield and defence that I wouldn't want for free and you're talking £200m worth of players and no doubt £100k a week in wages 

The biggest problem with Ancelotti going is they need stability, another new guy, another new group of players, another new bomb squad 

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Everton have spent massively over the last few years, can they keep doing it?

Ancellotti never seems to stay for more than a couple of seasons, I can see him going too.

If Moshiri is investing Usmanov's money in them then they have a lot more to spend as he is worth over £20 billion.

Only 4 points ahead of us with an inferior GD. I know we've spent a fair bit but when you consider they've spent even more and had a massive head start, not a great season for them at all. They should be in and around where West Ham are really.

41 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Only 4 points ahead of us with an inferior GD. I know we've spent a fair bit but when you consider they've spent even more and had a massive head start, not a great season for them at all. They should be in and around where West Ham are really.

Big transfer fees and high wages doesn't automatically mean great players.

We should know all about this from our time under MON.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Big transfer fees and high wages doesn't automatically mean great players.

We should know all about this from our time under MON.

Wow, I really didn't know this...

You missed my point. Generally, the more you spend the better you do. A team spending a lot of money would expect to do better than a team spending little, especially over a few seasons.

Edited by Mantis

3 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

If James Rodriguez was able to stay fit they probably would have qualified for Europe but that was never likely to happen. 

His last good game for them was in early October. Predictably disappeared as soon as winter hit. They need to send him off to MLS.

2 hours ago, Mantis said:

I'm actually disappointed we didn't finish above them. Seems whenever we'd get a point or two off them in the table (which was most of the season) they'd pull off a rare away win at a Liverpool or Arsenal and pull clear.

That early March period really killed top 10 hopes for us.

Â