dudevillaisnice

Hope he recovers soon. I think it's great this can be spoken about and he's getting the support he needs.

Hopefully there's none of that, "what's he got to be sad about, he's rich" nonsense.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Hope he recovers soon. I think it's great this can be spoken about and he's getting the support he needs.

Hopefully there's none of that, "what's he got to be sad about, he's rich" nonsense.

Yeah I agree, money can cause unhappiness as well. I think fame can cause all kinds of problems, none of us will understand that unless in same position 

6 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

There does seem to be a growing issue with mental health in sport.

I think it's a more talked about and accepted issue now so we're seeing it more.  In my unscientific opinion I'd say the issues have always been there, either hidden from view or dealt with the old stiff upper lip way.  This way is better.

• Like 1

Just now, BOF said:

I think it's a more talked about and accepted issue now so we're seeing it more.  In my unscientific opinion I'd say the issues have always been there, either hidden from view or dealt with the old stiff upper lip way.  This way is better.

I think this plus players have more fame, more money and, also, more connectivity with fans via social media.

What the latter in particular means is that players can receive abuse from "fans" 24/7.  They're not 'protected' from Joe Bloggs anymore.

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

I think this plus players have more fame, more money and, also, more connectivity with fans via social media.

What the latter in particular means is that players can receive abuse from "fans" 24/7.  They're not 'protected' from Joe Bloggs anymore.

I doubt any footballer gives two shits or is affected by anything a football troll has to say online. I wouldn't be, they haven't got a brain cell to rub together between them.

Hope Lennon gets the help he deserves. Sounds like he was found by the side of a busy road in Salford by Police concerned for his safety :(

One thing something like this does is highlights issues faced by many to the wider public (much in the same way Joey Barton's gambling addiction has) 

A positive being that others in a similar position may be able to seek help after seeing it highlighted. 

Get well soon Aaron. 

4 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I doubt any footballer gives two shits or is affected by anything a football troll has to say online. I wouldn't be, they haven't got a brain cell to rub together between them.

It's more that they can't escape.  The attention they get is constant (and, granted, mainly negative).

7 hours ago, BOF said:

I thought that after posting. I wonder if such issues in the past were handled in the 'have a pint' mentality of football in previous generations? I can think of quite a few footballers in the 80's and 90's who had drink problems but in a lot of instances I think they were the result of other problems managed through the drink.

These days drinking is far less prevalent within the game, issues find other routes and releases.

I also think the fall from grace to normality is far bigger for todays footballers than those in previous decades. I mean how do you go from earning £50k a week to nothing, I'm not talking specifically about Lennon here as obviously he is still earning but he is approaching that phase of his career where it will soon end. Then comes for many a void in their lives after the professional game.

I think this is something we will see more of regardless of the ever increasing wealth of players. I think clubs need to do far more on education and mental health with both youth and senior players.

• Like 1

verton midfielder Ross Barkley has until the end of the Premier League season next weekend to sign a new contract or he will be sold, says manager Ronald Koeman.

Koeman last month warned the England international, 23, that with a year left on his deal he could be sold.

Everton face Watford on Friday before finishing their Premier League campaign at Arsenal on Sunday, 21 May.

"Either he accepts the contract or we sell the player," said Koeman.

"But if you need so much time then you have doubts - I like to work with players who like to stay."

Hasn't really progressed has he? I think he has got two choices, stay at Everton on a decent salary and continue to play regularily in a semi decent team, or go to a team like City who will double his wages, but you won't play and in two years you will be back where you started...if you are lucky. Or Sunderland.

Can't see him moving to the next level anymore in his play, he is what he is.

• Like 1

Spurs want him apparently. Also the obligatory Man. City link.

I think Barkley takes up some good positions in the pitch, particularly in the final third but his shooting and decision making remain very poor at key moments. Just look at how few goals he scores compared to Dele Ali. 

9 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Barkley is a lower top half quality player, he will get a biggish move but will not distinguish himself and will be gone within a couple of seasons, back to his level.

But with Sunderland relegated, who will sign him?

I think Koeman has played it right. Sign by the end of the next week or he will be sold, listening to the post match interview yesterday I got the feeling he thinks the agent and Barkley are playing games and he isn't standing for it one bit. He isn't even the best midfielder at Everton. 

• Like 1

Â