dudevillaisnice

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Oumar Niasse - possibly the worst signing by any team ever? 

£13.5m in Jan and now not even given a squad number. 152 mins of action and an arrest for alleged assault 

Martinez has a terrible record for signing strikers bar Lukaku who anyone could've seen was going to be a good buy. 

• 4 weeks later...

So not the window Everton fans were particularly hoping for, and Koeman too?

They've signed Gueye a player who was part of the worst Premier League side last season :( Although he has started off extremely well.

Ashley Williams, who has been a fantastic defender for years now but is on the decline.

Valencia, a player West Ham fans can't wait to see the back of, and even we turned our noses up at. 

And finally Stekelenberg a keeper who was backup for Koeman's old side who he left for greater things.

Ignoring the last bid for Sissoko which was probably a bit of a blessing to miss out on where is this war chest? Especially with the sale of Stones? Other than getting a superb manager who will make a great difference, it's hard to see where Everton have improved? Still expect them to do well, but expected so much more.

Edit: Forgot about the huge Bolasie (which I guess comes from the Stones money), not even the best winger at Palace. 

Edited by VillaAlex
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

They've signed Gueye a player who was part of the worst Premier League side last season :( Although he has started off extremely well.

Ashley Williams, who has been a fantastic defender for years now but is on the decline.

Valencia, a player West Ham fans can't wait to see the back of, and even we turned our noses up at. 

And finally Stekelenberg a keeper who was backup for Koeman's old side who he left for greater things.

Ignoring the last bid for Sissoko which was probably a bit of a blessing to miss out on where is this war chest? Especially with the sale of Stones? Other than getting a superb manager who will make a great difference, it's hard to see where Everton have improved? Still expect them to do well, but expected so much more.

Edit: Forgot about the huge Bolasie (which I guess comes from the Stones money), not even the best winger at Palace. 

I'd be very underwhelmed tbh as an Everton fan. Big talk about investment after Moshini came in, their fans were signing 'we're f***ing rich' at the end of last season, and it looks like they actually ended with a negative net spend as the 47.5m for Stones more than covers the Gueye (7m), Stekelenberg (1m), Williams (12m) and Bolasie (25m) fees.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

I'm still not sure if you're being entirely serious with the downbeat mood of that post.  You seem to be trying to find the negatives in all of those signings.

Idrissa Gueye.  A player who, despite playing for us, was second only to N'Golo Kante in defensive midfield stats last season and who has by most accounts been MOTM for them since he arrived.  An absolute bargain.

Ashley Williams.  An actual bona fide defensive stalwart who comes straight into the side and vastly improves it in place of a fancy dan kid who they made a fortune off.

Maarten Stekelenburg.  A player Koeman saw enough of while managing his previous club to bring with him to his new club.

Yannick Bolasie.  Slightly inconsistent yes, but on his day a match winner and was definitely the best winger at Palace.  Potentially the star of Everton's show.

Enner Valencia is the only one I'm not sold on.  Might work out.  Might not.

Everton have started off very well this season and I think Koeman has proven himself to be a potentially top manager.  For me his signings have mostly made sense and even then I wouldn't put it past him to show us that he knew what he was doing with Valencia too.

depends on what their expectations are, top 7 and back in the EL at a guess, would say that everton have done ok with their signings, dont rate stekelenburg or valencia, not overly sold on gueye or bolasie but williams is a great signing, still think too much is on the shoulders of an inconsistent lukaku, inconsistency is going to be a huge problem for them this season but think koeman is a good manager

would expect city, utd, arsenal, chelsea, spurs and liverpool to finish above them putting everton in a mini league with west ham, stoke, leicester and southampton to finish 7th, id say everton have had a better summer than all of them and a better start too

if their expectation is higher than 7th though...really dont see it

also need to do something in the cups

I agree that 7th is about the best they could realistically hope for.  But then last season's league table showed us something about the new realities of football and I don't just mean Leicester.  Even West Ham and Southampton for large periods showed what a well run team can do.  We don't know yet just how good Koeman can be.

The comments their owner made about sissohko and keeping James mccarthy instead are baffling. Why say anything, instead he comes out with a cock and bull story about everton being a family? It's clear they wanted sissohko and he turned them down and it's clear they wanted rid of mccarthy and were shopping him around for a loan deal. Bizarre.

Edited by villa89

I don't get how they didn't sign a quality keeper. If the rumors of Valencia accepting an 8 million euro transfer for Diego Alves to Barcelona a few weeks was true, I would have definitely went for him if I were a premier league club needing a keeper. 

20 hours ago, BOF said:

I'm still not sure if you're being entirely serious with the downbeat mood of that post.  You seem to be trying to find the negatives in all of those signings.

Idrissa Gueye.  A player who, despite playing for us, was second only to N'Golo Kante in defensive midfield stats last season and who has by most accounts been MOTM for them since he arrived.  An absolute bargain.

Ashley Williams.  An actual bona fide defensive stalwart who comes straight into the side and vastly improves it in place of a fancy dan kid who they made a fortune off.

Maarten Stekelenburg.  A player Koeman saw enough of while managing his previous club to bring with him to his new club.

Yannick Bolasie.  Slightly inconsistent yes, but on his day a match winner and was definitely the best winger at Palace.  Potentially the star of Everton's show.

Enner Valencia is the only one I'm not sold on.  Might work out.  Might not.

Everton have started off very well this season and I think Koeman has proven himself to be a potentially top manager.  For me his signings have mostly made sense and even then I wouldn't put it past him to show us that he knew what he was doing with Valencia too.

I was merely commenting on the signings due to the expectations their fans had with the takeover. We were told they had a massive war chest and that Koeman was promised big things which gave him the motivation to make the move from Southampton.

Looking at their squad they lack depth and there are key positions of the squad in which they need to strengthen. The goalkeeping position was a clear area they needed to address, and at the time Stekelenberg was mentioned as a backup keeper. They were linked with several target including Joe Hart and did not bring anybody in. I really doubt Koeman saw Stekelenberg as his number one when he wasn't even his number one at Southampton.

They lost Stones, and replaced him with Williams. As I said Williams is a fantastic defender, but he has probably reached his peak now, Swansea fans love the guy but were quite happy to see him leave as his performances have slowly started to drop over the past 2 years. Again they were heavily linked with Kone all summer, a player who was superb last season for Sunderland, but again failed. They have three centre backs, including an ageing Phil Jagielka which is a severe lack of depth at this level.

They are also light up front, if Lukaku is out or off form, they have only have Arouna Kone and now Valencia, and for a team of Everton's ambition again I don't really think it's good enough. Again they were apparently interested in plenty of forwards but had to last minute panic loan Valencia who was heading to Swansea.

Also disagree on Bolasie, Zaha is the much better winger at Palace, which I think is an opinion share by most of their fans. A much better end product. 

As I said I think they will have a good season, purely because first of all Martinez won't be the manager and second of all Koeman is a superb. However as there fans have said they expected more and think so too. A few injuries and they are left to call on academy players.

Edited by VillaAlex
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

I was merely commenting on the signings due to the expectations their fans had with the takeover. We were told they had a massive war chest and that Koeman was promised big things which gave him the motivation to make the move from Southampton.

Looking at their squad they lack depth and there are key positions of the squad in which they need to strengthen. The goalkeeping position was a clear area they needed to address, and at the time Stekelenberg was mentioned as a backup keeper. They were linked with several target including Joe Hart and did not bring anybody in. I really doubt Koeman saw Stekelenberg as his number one when he wasn't even his number one at Southampton.

They lost Stones, and replaced him with Williams. As I said Williams is a fantastic defender, but he has probably reached his peak now, Swansea fans love the guy but were quite happy to see him leave as his performances have slowly started to drop over the past 2 years. Again they were heavily linked with Kone all summer, a player who was superb last season for Sunderland, but again failed. They have three centre backs, including an ageing Phil Jagielka which is a severe lack of depth at this level.

They are also light up front, if Lukaku is out or off form, they have only have Arouna Kone and now Valencia, and for a team of Everton's ambition again I don't really think it's good enough. Again they were apparently interested in plenty of forwards but had to last minute panic loan Valencia who was heading to Swansea.

Also disagree on Bolasie, Zaha is the much better winger at Palace, which I think is an opinion share by most of their fans. A much better end product. 

As I said I think they will have a good season, purely because first of all Martinez won't be the manager and second of all Koeman is a superb. However as there fans have said they expected more and think so too. A few injuries and they are left to call on academy players.

Yep now I can agree with that, as it's more a commentary on the overall squad rather than on those who were brought in.  I understand you now in terms of what was promised versus what arrived.  I was commenting on the individuals and I thought you were being harsh on those.  But yes it's true that they probably did need more bodies coming in.  They'll need luck with injuries and they'll need Lukaku to get his head back in the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Everton fans must be loving life at the moment.  They've a rock solid manager and a well settled team.  If they can get some consistency into Lukaku they'll be a danger.  Gone are the up and down days of Martinez.  This team will give everyone a game this season and it's great to see Gana as the fulcrum.

• Like 2

Â