dudevillaisnice

7 minutes ago, Artetasgirl said:

Conceded the most goals at home in the league

:o Jesus, you know it's bad when you're conceding more than we are.  So what's the general Goodison faithful concensus on Martinez?  Will he cut it in the end?  Or can he simply not organise a defence to save his life?  An Everton pal of mine (in fact my one and only Everton pal) still wants to give Roberto another season.  As much as anything, he enjoys watching you play.  You are good entertainment.  Frustrating as hell, yes, but entertaining.  Maybe the spectre of Moyes and his striker-less line-ups still looms large in his memory :)

• Like 1

I don't think there squad is as good as people make out. Maybe top 6 at best! Yes they are underperforming but I wouldn't say Martinez is a crap manager. They really should have beaten West Ham even with 10 men.

12 minutes ago, BOF said:

:o Jesus, you know it's bad when you're conceding more than we are.  So what's the general Goodison faithful concensus on Martinez?  Will he cut it in the end?  Or can he simply not organise a defence to save his life?  An Everton pal of mine (in fact my one and only Everton pal) still wants to give Roberto another season.  As much as anything, he enjoys watching you play.  You are good entertainment.  Frustrating as hell, yes, but entertaining.  Maybe the spectre of Moyes and his striker-less line-ups still looms large in his memory :)

I think people are just fed up with the same things happening over and over again. Some things he says are as if the fans are stupid (which some are, but not all of us!). 

As a neutral, I can see we'd be exciting to watch. Some of the football we play is exceptional at times but when you are 2/3 up against teams you know you should be beating, but constantly are still worried, it says a lot. 

You had chances at 3-1 against us, if you'd have made it 3-2, it would have been 3-3. So weak and fragile mentally, they just can't see a game out. 

I'd say 2/3rds ish want him gone now but, I'm obviously only estimating that on the proportion of fans I know/follow on social media etc. I've been behind him so far but rapidly losing patience, I want to see a difference, and fast.

2 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

With the players they have, they should be doing much better.

The annoying thing is that this season that sentence could legitimately describe half the league, including most of the normally good half.  So anyone in the other camp is sitting pretty.

The thing I will say on Martinez's behalf...he has got the average age of the squad right down.

Lukaku - 22

Barkley - 22

Stones - 21

Deulofeu - 21

Besic - 23

Funes Mori - just turned 25

McCarthy - 25

Joel - 25

Galloway - 19

That's a good chunk of the core of our squad at 25 or under, with a fair few others I've not mentioned. We have Shani Tarashaj who is coming in next season still only 21. 

Edited by Artetasgirl

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

I don't think there squad is as good as people make out. Maybe top 6 at best! Yes they are underperforming but I wouldn't say Martinez is a crap manager. They really should have beaten West Ham even with 10 men.

They have a near enough world class striker now, never had that when they were finishing top 6 under Moyes.

• Like 1

How's Barry playing these days Artetas Girl?

How long left on his contract?  

Will he be offered a new one?

Can you have a word with him telling him to come home and anchor the midfield in the championship I think he would be an astute signing for us next year.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

True but they had a better midfield under Moyes imo anyway. Cahill got a lot of goals from midfield as well

dunno Barry, McCarthy and Barkley is better than Cahill, Arteta and Osman

Just now, Zatman said:

dunno Barry, McCarthy and Barkley is better than Cahill, Arteta and Osman

No way! Barry is passed it, Mcarthy is not a match for Arteta at his peak and Cahill and Barkley dunno.

It was Phil Nevile, Fellani, Arteta and Cahill for the last few seasons under Moyes.

I would say there's a lot more quality in the final third that Martinez has to work with.

Someone like Deulofeuo's an odd one isn't he. People were raving about him not so long ago, in fairness he ripped us to shreds yet seems to have been on the bench for months on end since xmas.

in fairness Lennon has been in brilliant form as well since the turn of the year and has replaced Deulofeu

funny that people didnt want him here as he a Spurs reject :rolleyes:

12 hours ago, PaulC said:

No way! Barry is passed it, Mcarthy is not a match for Arteta at his peak and Cahill and Barkley dunno.

Barry to be fair isn't past it. What he lacks in mobility he more than makes up for in positioning, ability and experience.

On 8 March 2016 at 23:10, S-Platt said:

How's Barry playing these days Artetas Girl?

How long left on his contract?  

Will he be offered a new one?

Can you have a word with him telling him to come home and anchor the midfield in the championship I think he would be an astute signing for us next year.

Been our best player this season, I'd say. Let's just say, when he isn't playing, you know that he isn't. Wouldn't surprise me if he won our player of the year award.

I'm not sure what his plans are for the future but he has another year left on his deal after this one.

In regards to the midfields, I couldn't really pick. Both are very different but very good in their own ways...

On Deulofeu, he is still only 21, he started like a house on fire but stalled a little bit. He started getting fouled a lot, no protection from referees (though doesn't help himself there) and was just getting really frustrated and it was affecting his game. Lennon could barely get in cos of his form, but since he's got in, he's been sensational, now Deulofeu can't get in! The problem Deulofeu has is that, it's difficult to play him, Barkley and Lukaku all together as despite being great players, they don't always work hard enough and can have a habit of trying to do too much, to the detriment of the team.

Edited by Artetasgirl

• 3 weeks later...

Noticed Lukaku has been talking to the press during the international break suggesting he wants to play Champions League football and wants to leave Everton at the end of the season in order to do so.

Let's hope he doesn't go the way of Bony and Benteke.

That's the problem for Everton, I keep on saying this to AG but she seems to be conveniently ignoring it (;)). Lukaku, Barkley and Stones will be demanding CL football before too long as the clubs who want to sign them are playing in it.

To me they're at the crossroads we were at in 2011 when we lost Young and Downing. Let's hope their scouts aren't playing Fifa all day.

Â