dudevillaisnice

From what I've seen a lot of Everton fans see Nuno as being a similar kind of appointment to the likes of Martinez, Koeman, and Silva, that is managers who've been hyped as the next big thing after doing well at smaller clubs. From their point of view they feel like they've seen it all before with this type of manager, and it hasn't got them to where they want to be.

Edited by useless

8 minutes ago, useless said:

From what I've seen a lot of Everton fans see Nuno as being a similar kind of appointment to the likes of Martinez, Koeman, and Silva, that is managers who've been hyped as the next big thing after doing well at smaller clubs. From their point of view they feel like they've seen it all before with this type of manager, and it hasn't got them to where they want to be.

I wonder what they'd think if we leapfrogged them with Dean in charge, a man who didn't get hyped at all after doing well at smaller clubs?

They'd probably think that that would rather make their point for them, that Nuno or managers like him are not good enough to get them where they want to be. They want a manager that's going to get into the champions league and win them trophies.

They need a reality check, the problems run deeper. They can get a top class manager but unless they have things right from board level down to the pitch they won't succeed.

We've seen this at many clubs now, Leicester a prime example of getting it right. Arsenal and Spurs examples of how they are getting it wrong. Spurs had one of the best managers in the world and still messed it up.

Liverpool have s great manager but again have an excellent team behind him and closer to board level Michael Edwards does a superb job.

Bielsa too is a fantastic manager but Leeds are building the club to have the same philosophy down to youth level, and I expect them to reap the rewards in recent years.

Everton I'm not sure what they are trying to do other than throw money at things. They very much remind me of ourselves in the MON days but not as successful. That money hasn't accounted for anything, not Europe or even a cup final? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, useless said:

They'd probably think that that would rather make their point for them, that Nuno or managers like him are not good enough to get them where they want to be. They want a manager that's going to get into the champions league and win them trophies.

Ah, I sorta meant if we leapfrogged them by getting into the Champions League, while they trod water.  Because it sounds like the problem is they're just throwing money at the problem without coming up with a coherent vision for how to get the club into a place where CL football is a reasonable prospect. I feel like a lot of big-name managers aren't necessarily the sort of people who deliver that, they just get you a few extra points on the pitch. So they might be missing the forest for the trees.

Basically what @VillaAlex said above.

18 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

They need a reality check, the problems run deeper. They can get a top class manager but unless they have things right from board level down to the pitch they won't succeed.

We've seen this at many clubs now, Leicester a prime example of getting it right. Arsenal and Spurs examples of how they are getting it wrong. Spurs had one of the best managers in the world and still messed it up.

Liverpool have s great manager but again have an excellent team behind him and closer to board level Michael Edwards does a superb job.

Bielsa too is a fantastic manager but Leeds are building the club to have the same philosophy down to youth level, and I expect them to reap the rewards in recent years.

Everton I'm not sure what they are trying to do other than throw money at things. They very much remind me of ourselves in the MON days but not as successful. That money hasn't accounted for anything, not Europe or even a cup final? 

Yep. good post. Everton just throwing money at it.

Leeds to be top 4 next season 😇

There have been two major differences between the 'big' six and the chasing pack - one of which is the obvious one and is increasingly not as straightforward as you'd think - they finish in the top six - but it's the other one that's the greater obstacle - the six clubs that wanted to kill the rest of us off make massively bigger commercial revenues than the chasing pack.

You can finish fifth half a dozen times, but it doesn't break the ceiling - as long as Spurs are making £160m in commercial and sponsorship revenues compared to our £24m and Everton's £64m a year - actually breaking the big six is incredibly difficult.

What Everton have done (and to an extent successfully as they have more than two and a half times our income from it) is try to act or to be 'famous' to attempt to look 'big' through buying and employing players and managers with globally famous names and then to benefit from those associations commercially by attracting sponsors and getting good deals from the sponsorships they already have - commercially it's put them a mile ahead of us, but still a mile behind Tottenham. From a sporting perspective, it's hard to see it as any kind of success - they're a decent side, but they've not got a great return on their investment in terms of where they'd hope to be in the table.

It's a very tough gap to close.

For us, we have an absolutely pivotal summer coming up next year - with our two main sponsorships coming up for renewal - our shirt manufacturer and main sponsor will both be renegotiated in 2022 - we've not gone with the 'fame' angle that Everton have, although we do have a rare advantage in having the most marketable footballer in the country as our captain and talisman - we've instead built steadily, we're seen as a smart, up and coming club making progress - how we can successfully use that progress to hugely increase our commercial revenues (and perhaps distract a sponsor or two from the the top six at the same time) will be as important to our development as where we finish in next season's table.

Everton are throwing money at it in a way that appears to be haphazard from a footballing perspective, but I think they're concentrating on 'fame' to try to close the other gap, then hoping football follows - we're going the other way and trying to create a football team that becomes marketable through its success. I like our way. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

• Like 2

On 13/06/2021 at 10:49, VillaAlex said:

Unless he changes his managerial style massively it's going to be difficult for him to win them over without immediate results. 

I've seen a few people post this kind of "style" comment. I may be wildly awry, but I though the football Wolves played under him up to this season was great to watch. This season they lost their two best players  - one injured, one sold, and struggled creatively, so had to compensate and indeed were a much less entertaining watch. But I think Nuno's ideal type of football is very entertaining. Maybe that's just me, though?

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

I've seen a few people post this kind of "style" comment. I may be wildly awry, but I though the football Wolves played under him up to this season was great to watch. This season they lost their two best players  - one injured, one sold, and struggled creatively, so had to compensate and indeed were a much less entertaining watch. But I think Nuno's ideal type of football is very entertaining. Maybe that's just me, though?

Really? I'm no expert, but he always is pretty defensive and cynical minded isn't he? Not exactly sexyball is it? I've gotten kind of Mourinho vibes off him.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

12 minutes ago, blandy said:

I think Nuno style was similar to MON at Villa, defensively solid and quickly get the ball to pacey wide players. Its effective and looks good vs the big teams but Wolves struggled to break down the lesser Premier League sides under

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think Nuno style was similar to MON at Villa, defensively solid and quickly get the ball to pacey wide players. Its effective and looks good vs the big teams but Wolves struggled to break down the lesser Premier League sides under

Agree on the games v the big teams. I think though that Wolves (when they had their flare players) were much more possession based than MO'N's Villa, but they struggled a bit because teams sitting back tended to neutralise the pace of Traore. I'm only going off memory and hazy recollections of games, but they seemed to score a heck of a lot of goals in their promotion season and to me they looked great the next season. Last season they were boring and pants, no argument there.

Everton played turgid football even under Don Carlo as they called him. It's because they have a hilariously unbalanced and overrated squad, haphazardly put together by a succession of managers with contrasting ideas. They need a much bigger overhaul than just changing the manager. No manager in the world is going to turn Iwobi and Bernard into top 6 PL wingers, or give their midfield more pace etc.

• Like 2

Rumours that talks with Nuno have stalled.

Tbh the longer this takes the better for us. Everton will be competing with us for "best of the rest" .

Takes time for a manager to get their feet under the table, access the squad, identify and recruit. 

Benitez on the radar....

I mean if he hadn't managed Liverpool for six years that would be half decent pick up for them....

However given all that and him calling Everton small club after one of the Merseyside derbies I think it will be like when McLeish was here...grudging acceptance once we started playing games but won't take long for loads of dissent from the stands and likely be full scale riot at end of season if they're 9th or 10th in the table.

George Graham was never accepted by Spurs fans either despite winning league cup in 1999.

Edited by VillaChris

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Benitez on the radar....

I mean if he hadn't managed Liverpool for six years that would be half decent pick up for them....

All Everton are interested in is a 'name'. Even if he isn't a good fit for the club. 

52 minutes ago, Xela said:

All Everton are interested in is a 'name'. Even if he isn't a good fit for the club. 

Spurs will be the same 

"look at us competing" by getting in someone who will cost them a fortune, won't compete and will leave them in a mess 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Spurs will be the same 

"look at us competing" by getting in someone who will cost them a fortune, won't compete and will leave them in a mess 

Fonseca will likely be unknown to about 95% of their fanbase.

5 hours ago, Xela said:

maybe not that name though, Rafa has insulted them in the past. Its bad sign for both of them as seems desperate all around

Â