Dogs...

jonno_2004

Dogs?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Dogs?

• Love them
    • Hate them

20 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Thanks everyone.  It was super tough,  just went for a walk on the normal route after dinner as a tribute to my mate.

I thought that I would be OK and not cry or anything,  I was severely wrong on that point.

Thanks for the kind words, it's been a horrible week.

No shame in crying, I was in bits when I had to take CJ (my West Highland terrier) to be put down a few years back as she was in so much pain due to tumour. 

Just need to remember the good times mate. Timo would have had a fantastic life with you but you have done the right thing. He's at peace now and not in pain anymore. 

• Like 1

What a handsome chap. Very sorry for your loss. :( I had to give her away to a friend (didn't have time to look after her properly, and really wasn't fair on her), but when my dog was put down, I was gutted, even though she hadn't lived with me for years. 

Really, really want to get another dog now, but don't really have the space. Watching an advert for guide dogs, just now has not helped at all.  

• Like 1

I was watching "The Supervet" the other day and there was a bit where a guy who used to be homeless brought his dog in with a bad leg (he had the dog when he was on the street).

When they got the xrays back it was cancer, which none of them had expected. They thought he'd done his ligaments or something.

When the vet told the guy it was seriously heartbreaking. I was in bits. SO I can't imagine what it's like when it happens to your own dog :(:(

• Like 1

On 15/1/2016 at 19:35, Stevo985 said:

I was watching "The Supervet" the other day and there was a bit where a guy who used to be homeless brought his dog in with a bad leg (he had the dog when he was on the street).

When they got the xrays back it was cancer, which none of them had expected. They thought he'd done his ligaments or something.

When the vet told the guy it was seriously heartbreaking. I was in bits. SO I can't imagine what it's like when it happens to your own dog :(:(

I think I saw that episode.  Didn't the vet agree to do the treatments pro bono, and the guy wanted to help around the place to try and pay.  The guy had behavioural problems owing to terrible events growing up.  Heart went out to the guy.  He was dealt a shit hand and was really trying to get back on the straight and narrow.  Spent the last few weeks bringing the dog to the beach because it loved water.  I remember thinking "this guy is gonna do himself in when this dog dies" and the vet was clearly in the same boat because on a few occasions he made the guy promise he was going to look after himself afterwards.

On 15/01/2016 at 02:59, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Thanks everyone.  It was super tough,  just went for a walk on the normal route after dinner as a tribute to my mate.

I thought that I would be OK and not cry or anything,  I was severely wrong on that point.

Thanks for the kind words, it's been a horrible week.

If its any help.

When I lost Chloe ( my avatar ) I had a sign made that said " Chloe you left your pawprints on my heart" it hangs by the back door.

• Like 1

Haven't voted in the poll at the top as I don't love OR hate dogs.

We have a dog, the missus had it before I moved in,  but although she is the softest quietest mutt on earth, the smell, the hairs and the mountains of shit are a pain. Yes, I mean the dog not the fiancee.

No more dogs after this one.

• 5 months later...

We have new neighbours, and they have two dogs and two cats. All four critters seem to be pretty cool. We get the benefit of their company, with none of the responsibility. Result. 

• Like 2

Aww man, sorry for your loss Sid4ever :(

Like you say, just remember the good times and remember, he's not in pain anymore. 

They're a lovely dog and they can vary from very intelligent to thick as 2 short planks (which makes them hilarious) :) You hear of cancer getting to more and more pets these days.  It would make you wonder what kind of standard pet foods are made to.

6 hours ago, BOF said:

They're a lovely dog and they can vary from very intelligent to thick as 2 short planks (which makes them hilarious) :) 

BOF, you are not wrong, got another one at home, thankfully, who is 2 sandwiches short of a picnic.  He is getting a fair amount of attention at the moment and if I carry on he will be using Gabby as his body double, another treat don't mind if I do thank you.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well yesterday we had to take our dog to my mums until we can sort out someone suitable to    take her in. Me and the wife are heartbroken but it's got to the point where we had to get her out of the environment she was in because she was crumbling inside. She just can't hack normal family life with kids shouting and people bickering. We have had interest but most are not suitable, but we are in contact with one or two so hopefully it will be the right move for everyone. In reality I'm hoping my mum keeps her as she's as happy as can be at my mums but my mum works long hours four days a week. Proper gutted but we have to do what's best for the dog and us.

IMG_0980.JPG

5 weeks until this little fella arrives. May I present Sir Winston Churchill II - English Bulldog! 

My wife and I have always wanted one and finally work has settled so we won't be both traveling constantly. Any top tips for 1st time puppy owners?

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Like 2

I got an 11 week old Daschund puppy last Saturday, currently sat curled up in my lap fast asleep

think we're doing pretty well with the toilet training, she howls in the night though, she's really needy, doesn't want to play just wants to sit next to you all the time

now clue what the answer is in the night some people say ignore her (which is near impossible) some say sleep her in your room and slowly move her away, at the moment I'm sleeping on the sofa with her in her bed in my living room, she naps a lot which I've tried stopping but that's hard, goes to sleep bout 9, wakes twice in the night and is up at 5.30, safe to say I'm shattered!

Â