jonno_2004

Dogs?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Dogs?

• Love them
    • Hate them

On 2/19/2017 at 12:44, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Good News

About a year ago I had to put my beagle down (Timo) becasue of ill health and age (15).  I found this very difficult indeed and as I mentioned before my dog really was my mate.  Maybe due to been in a foreign country it's often hard to find mates you see.  So,  since then we have got 2 cats which are alright but not that good for walking on the beech with.

Last week my mrs was looking at dogs in the dog pound (This is where I got my last dog from as he was not wanted becasaue the family had loads of kids and it was not going well.).  She found an advert for a dog (Border Collie 14 months called Jack).  The owner is moving to Australia on Wednesday and she has 4 dogs,  the 3 older / other dogs are going to her parents but the Collie is bullied a bit as he is the youngest.

She wanted only 100 Euros for him but she was really, really concerned that he was going to a good home.  We had to meet her on the beech about 30 miles away and walk him on the beech for 40 mins so she could have a chat and see what our experience is with dogs and why we should have him.  She did this with 4 people over 4 days and she was so worried but I told her about my dog last year and that I will be the best home ever  for him.  So I had to wait for a while.

So,  she called us and said that I won by miles,  becasue I have had a beagle (One of the hardest dogs to look after) and the fact that I live approx 150 m from the beech was the clincher.  I am so happy for real.  I picked him up yesterday and his owner was a bit upset but I had my mrs with me (She is Dutch) so was not too bad,  she was OK in the end.  All is going well so far.  I was the only English person in the contest so that was good as well.  My Dutch can't be that bad :-).  She said she did not want the money for him as she wanted that used for stuff for Jack but I went to Schiphol and go her 100 Australia Dollars for in a card.  She really like this. 

Cat's have disappeared though.  They will return.

He was trained to be a drug's dog at the airport but he was not 100% suitable but he is super clever and really big.  I am only 5 ft 8 and he is a lot stronger than the beagle :-) and training starts tomorrow as he is really excited about everything.

Took the below yesterday.  I have walked 15 kms in 1.5 days so my Garmin is loving it.

IMAG0016k_(2) (1).jpg

IMAG0013k_(2) (1).jpg

IMAG0018k_(2) (2).jpg

That top photo is really great

6 minutes ago, maqroll said:

What caused that?

Birth defect by the sounds of it, the vet reckoned her stomach would have gone back and forth through the hole her whole life but it got trapped and killed her

the vet did ask if she'd been hit by a car or a similar trauma :huh: did make me think of times she'd misjudged the sofa and fell off, times where I'd gone to put her down and she'd jump out and landed funny but she never whimpered or anything, it obviously wasn't causing her pain or was something she was that used to it didn't bother her, was completely out of the blue

On 20/02/2017 at 12:36, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

I liked the look of it but there have been several reports of mistreatment of the dogs throughout filming (have a google) which has put me off going to see it to be honest. 

Whats pup are you getting? Highly recommend the happy puppy handbook to read before you get him, really helped assure us when we werent quite sure how to handle something. 

Yea I saw those reports also, but read a bit further into it and I don't think it's quite what some people made out. Still, the story is just emotional, and makes me think about the relationship between man and their canine friends. 

We're going to get a Golden Retriever. my wife wants to get a dachshund at some point as well though... 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

HELP!

Alright lads. Been offline for a while in middle of house move, but house needs stuff doing, in process but can't fully move yet, works all in stages. Right. I think I'm slowly going crazy. 

Ultra rural, about six houses spread out but I'm across from one. Nice couple about 55-60 , one daughter, but two Yorkshire terriers and a jack Russell. 

But for cars driving past etc there's no noise. But for these effing dogs. I'm not next to them they're over the road and slightly up a bit. But the noise carries. Even through double glazing. I kid you not it's non stop. Ruff ruff ruff. Ruff ruff ruff. Always a cycle of three little barks. Times three dogs. Non stop! No exaggeration I mean non stop. Seamless and the three dogs they merge sound like bad canine yap harmonies

I got up early , did some stuff, waiting for plaster to set etc so come outside to just chill. Sunny etc. And here we are again. Ruff ruff ruff. Ruff ruff ruff

I love animals don't get me wrong but I am really wanting to dunk these dogs in a bucket. I've met the family a number of times it's quite a "local" friendly type place. Which means you'd think it's easy to discuss it. I have! I've gone over all nicely nicely and literally said "do they ever give up" and another time suggested those special training collars. But I got responses about how they're breeds are just like that. And that's just the way they are. Or don't mind them. Whatever. Like I say, nice people. House great. Area nice. Peace great. Spoiled by three dogs. Since I'm an outsider infiltrating the area, when I turn up they come talk etc so I find ways of bringing it up

I don't want to go straight into sorta more aggressive stance with these guys as this place is really remote and these guys will be forever and will look out for the place when I'm away whatever. But have changed tact in that direction to no avail but want to keep them sweet. But , prior to fully moving in, At wits end regarding the dogs. I know there's council processes but that'll be really awkward and wouldn't do nothing and would take ages possibly burn a bridge. 

Sorry this post is long. But has anyone ever been driven almost to madness by other people's barking dogs? What did they do? There's these things on Amazon like ultrasonic noise emitters but I'm not sure they'd work with a hundred yards or so distance. Would be happy to pay for some device but again no guarantees. Dead end with the discussions and with nice weather approaching they'll be outside more. Dreading it! These pricks have a "run" that goes out of the house too and oddly spend most of their time outside at night. Yes, yapping. And yet it doesn't bother the family. W t f. They love these little gimps to bits

Reading this post back maybe yeah I'm being a pussy but for once I'm really stuck on the best way to deal with this. Normally if I've got a problem , discussions sort it. It's not like they're playing techno music, it's just their pets right. But "that's the way they are" , I dunno if that washes, I've said it's quite distracting and I'll be working from home eventually sometimes and blah blah and after all people are allowed to have dogs in their garden. And yeah so they're not on my doorstep , but literally hear them at distance and when it gets to you it's almost like they're one yard away starting to hear it louder! Hence madness. Fk me sorry essay, who moves out this way to be sat listening to Spotify with earphones in asking the internet if peaceful diplomacy has reached an but you want to keep these guys sweet what do I do!? As my options are:

1- flat out bully these guys in some way and debut residency here by being a c---

2- involve the council and be seen as a c---

3- risk wasted money buying devices that do nothing 

4- stamp these f------- out. Ruff ruff ruff. Ruff ruff ruff. How does it never get old for them. Unbelievable. Repeat repeat repeat. If you made me pick an option right now it would be this. Sorry!

Again. Sorry. Long post rant. Written out of madness. 

Yours faithfully,

Mr Starting-To-Get-An-Eyelid-Twitch of Herefordshire

@Midfielder 

I would speak to them and just explain that it is really getting you down and that you don’t want to have to involve the local council but if they won’t at least try to calm the dogs down you will have no choice. Also maybe speak to your other neighbours and see if they have an issue with it and maybe they would be willing to have a word.

I have a Jack Russell and he isn’t a barker other than when people come to the house so I don’t think it is just a breed thing and the way they are.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Very awkward situation @Midfielder

Yeah mate tell me about it. Still going off all three of them. My rental gaff still has six weeks on it so haven't been kipping much here to see / hear these gimps at it through the night. Noticed it fully last night. Maybe it was the night kipping on a sheet of bubble wrap and sleeping bag sourrounded by strong PVA and all sorts chems drying that's made me crazy too but I dunno, these dogs wrecking my dream setup and haven't moved in yet. Absolutely relentless they are. Got to about 4 am and thought fk it and started plastering. Never heard anything like it. Need dog assassin. Ah well. 

29 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

@Midfielder 

I would speak to them and just explain that it is really getting you down and that you don’t want to have to involve the local council but if they won’t at least try to calm the dogs down you will have no choice. Also maybe speak to your other neighbours and see if they have an issue with it and maybe they would be willing to have a word.

I have a Jack Russell and he isn’t a barker other than when people come to the house so I don’t think it is just a breed thing and the way they are.

Thanks mark. The other closest neighbour I asked already and they don't hear it as much. They must be deaf or not mind it. So in a way it's shut up or me versus dog owners. Yeah I reluctantly deep down know that I kind of need to get more direct with those guys. Their dogs aren't mistreated at all, repeated barking usually is like an attention thing or loneliness isn't it, but the woman is like semi disabled so always in and with them. I just don't get it at all. 

Have though, tried the is there anything you can do to calm them approach and even mentioned about training collars that discourage barking and got politely shrugged. But yeah if blood pressure increases then I guess it is me versus them. Cheers. Probably just a rant out of desperation and disappointment. Get the feeling I'm not fully gonna win this battle these guys have lived here for 30 plus years. Cheers though

• Like 1

9 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I don’t think it is just a breed thing and the way they are.

I agree with this.  It's down to the owners and the time they put into the dogs.  If they loved the dogs they would not allow them to bark all the time.  The laying down of rules to a dog is better for him than let the **** run up and down barking his head off for no reason.  It's not normal.

As for falling out with the neighbours,  you only get one life, your home is a place to recuperate these days for work and maybe have a relax at weekends,  maybe in the garden with a pint and the radio.  Look at it this way,  if you inform someone and they are told to train them and / or keep them quiet,  then the facilitation of this will turn out good for everyone,  quiet dogs / quiet street / trained dogs or gone away dogs and the most important thing is your happy.  I suppose you don't work nights, what if you did though or wanted to sell the house and you are trying to give it the sell to some prospective buyers, "It's like well. well tranquil here and that,you feel me ? I like bread as well!" and them **** are out 'n about barking.  No good.

https://www.gov.uk/report-noise-pollution-to-council

Which says specifically:-

If you’re having a problem with noise like loud music, noisy pubs, rowdy parties or barking dogs in your neighborhood, your council can help you.

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D

How old are the dogs? They're not puppies are they? (he says hoping they might grow out of it)

Environmental Health? 

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

How old are the dogs? They're not puppies are they? (he says hoping they might grow out of it)

Environmental Health? 

Don't know mate, sorta adult size. Clearly their yapping has been allowed to happen throughout time to the point it's normal. I'm seeing that from Amsterdam Neil's post, whilst these guys are nice innocent people, I'm seeing it now.... It's not the breed at all, it's the training / behaviour. And the fact as a trio they just are civilised and domesticated but paradoxically feral in terms of audio.

not used to pets at all, 38 and I've only ever had one pet and that was primary school hamster that I was allowed to take home over summer holiday (until he met with an accident), not the expert, especially on other people's pets. But yeah the problem is with the people not the dogs, a few hours passed and being back in Gloucester (no yapping yorkies) what a difference  

otherwise the fumes off the shit I've been DIYing with for two days is seeing things in your post  

the first line is a silent voice, "how old are the dogs" you ask, but what I'm hearing is:

how old are the dogs (because if they're old, you could pack some sausage meat with a "super duper dose" of rat poison and give them a nice goodbye banquet when the biddy is watching Flog It, and worry about the scrutiny of coincidence of three simultaneous dog deaths another time, after all, as Shaggy say, quite simply, it wazzun me, so who even cares about the aftermath and well, comparatively, the odds of them all kicking the bucket at once are less, and more believable, than the WTC buildings 1 2 and 7 all coming down like the official story says, so do it Tom, they sure do look hungry, that's why they're barking, give them the happy food).

i get you, thanks Xela but I'll save that as a last resort, you know, you can be a cruel bugger my son 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Picture of my newish dog fom a few posts up.

It's going so very well, i am so happy :D

isMD8pQJTZLxSCjROrRPZbcTedFEincyrMQIDvwsvxNLNBtDT0RDykcJenZRkPwoSxl_D2hdsB4zLer8JqD9qaC8RvtJVy1Ypam47znXFiyOMmpq30xqPdd43WI-byMGpWpR-x6Eesb8AxY8Fd8VuJ_Yuacyfa9ulbSHUAxPMcNHPrsX_XPgQfX2blMsCfhdXDx3b__dFxCoZRZ3NxqKYF_cnUuSrLuwgRoCVEYR-fqrzHuOqOMyjzb55WAsYHXgxo94wN0fuecZzGhu5FU_lLKX7dXUF-SBnR6ycxBcQ0D3XnnK1t-BA-DIiLlrG-76ysIWWqxau2CzE_TFpNaS6NzGJMhPlJdFUQjb227bkW25W71cyd81khltc7GS5Lq4a6OvMt5A3r_xpxXI_qIgTMIfnGRp50-wXcQ99E0gIe2_rNsgEbWn_ZyiKw_fTKND98_LT6chsI8zusafhx31o_PwaA7_wB4WCxEvN946rwCNFXQyA5xU-H63RM5p24IztQnsnAzdWqmFKD0oSdhqXsS_Uab1N0DwpwTgMGuj_ZGlQMfvuGfebJ-0ThydxbjcCn-B3XCcVVnXH4u9jUowHui3ZaiNoenew5P41irsDS_MbAKpumKt=w1255-h673-no

Nice looking dog mate is that a sheepdog, I bet that one doesn't sit out yapping til it hurts

Just now, Midfielder said:

Nice looking dog mate is that a sheepdog, I bet that one doesn't sit out yapping til it hurts

Thanks mate.

He's almost 2 and yeah,  he is a Border Collie.  He did bark but doesn't much now unless people knock the door (Or wash the windows outside).

He is a right laugh.

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I agree with this.  It's down to the owners and the time they put into the dogs.  If they loved the dogs they would not allow them to bark all the time.  The laying down of rules to a dog is better for him than let the **** run up and down barking his head off for no reason.  It's not normal.

As for falling out with the neighbours,  you only get one life, your home is a place to recuperate these days for work and maybe have a relax at weekends,  maybe in the garden with a pint and the radio.  Look at it this way,  if you inform someone and they are told to train them and / or keep them quiet,  then the facilitation of this will turn out good for everyone,  quiet dogs / quiet street / trained dogs or gone away dogs and the most important thing is your happy.  I suppose you don't work nights, what if you did though or wanted to sell the house and you are trying to give it the sell to some prospective buyers, "It's like well. well tranquil here and that,you feel me ? I like bread as well!" and them **** are out 'n about barking.  No good.

https://www.gov.uk/report-noise-pollution-to-council

Which says specifically:-

If you’re having a problem with noise like loud music, noisy pubs, rowdy parties or barking dogs in your neighborhood, your council can help you.

Thanks Neil, cheers, I'm next there later in week / weekend. Doubt they'll have changed but yeah I need to tackle the owners I guess. Thanks. I've been on their case like in first gear, then second gear, but they're too nice to third gear upwards with but I'll have to. It is gonna eat away at me so best to tackle it straight off, didn't want to just seem like a bastard , as they clearly can't see how daft it all is and how their normal isn't well, acceptable. And you're right too, about being out in the garden, the suns coming and I've got every right to enjoy it as much as their mutts. 

Part of me want to get a Rott or,Doberman or German shepherd to out shout them but one thing I've seen in Yorkies is they are cocky little gits and prob un phased by big dogs , jack Russell's too. Prob escalate it not deter it, yeah bad idea. 

Cheers Neil, that's me done. Man that's gonna be so awkward but yeah enough of the mr nice guy, Ray Winstone time, and failing that I'm turning council super grass, and if that fails, I'll take Xela's subliminal manchurian conditioning re: poisoning.

edit, and yeah., I see it, whilst I hate the dogs utterly and completely, I've learned it's not actually their fault it's the owners and the training / behaviour expectancies bothered with when they were puppies and learning is the lesson learned. Took me a while to get there but I'm real slow like that so,etimes cheers

Edited by Midfielder
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Thanks mate.

He's almost 2 and yeah,  he is a Border Collie.  He did bark but doesn't much now unless people knock the door (Or wash the windows outside).

He is a right laugh.

i came into the thread dog-hating and leaving the thread dog wanting. The only dog I ever wanted was when i was a kid and I wanted Dobermans exactly like Higgins had in Magnum PI, Zeus and Apollo. Think they were dobermans anyway! Ah well light years off that, but it's gonna happen eventually, cheers Neil have a good one fella

me in a couple years, 8bce5a90aaf9b9c6e416860f3e4b5bb7.jpg

Edited by Midfielder
Yeah they were dobermand
  • Like 3

I do miss having a dog about the place and also walking he or she, but I've got enough on my plate as it is at the moment. We've both decided no more dogs until the kids are a bit older. I've got a big soft spot for English bull terriers so that will be the next one I think.

Â