Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

Good to see him perform well again today. He has had his critics, including me, but I hope the boo boys will lay off him now.

Lets not get too carried away....in terms of clearing danger, he had an excellent game for long periods.

his work on the ball and building sorties from the back like the great sides do....he has a long way to go.

• Like 2

was it him who tried to leap through the sir first half life a salmon trying to clear the ball? Seemed a little over the top. Made some good tackles though and had a solid game. Repeat it over several more games please. 

Yes it was, and it really was quite an excellent impression of a salmon, I remember being struck by it at the time. Very graceful. Not very effective, but you can't have everything!

On a more serious note, a very strong performance. He really does look a lot more solid than previous years, and he's still a fairly young man, so I'm becoming increasingly confident that we have a good starting centre-back for the future on our hands. 

Lets not get too carried away....in terms of clearing danger, he had an excellent game for long periods.

his work on the ball and building sorties from the back like the great sides do....he has a long way to go.

This is a fair point IMO. Baker does excel when it comes to the backs-against-the-wall, bodies-on-the-line, do or die last ditch stuff, he is less effective when he actually have possession and he needs to play the ball out. Still, he has time to improve that, and the way he's improved other aspects of his defending makes me think he will, if given time. 

• Like 1

He had a really good game but still made some silly errors. He stepped out and tried to tackle Silva in the first and Silva just did a 1,2 around him and then nearly played in Aguero but Goose read it and saved the day. I think Bakers passing isn't too bad tbf, a hell of a lot better than the likes of Clark and he certainly has all the attributes to be a good CB.

Too often he is given the ball, by Westwood in particular, when he shouldn't be, and he has no option but to get rid of it.

A good solid defender, and still young, still dives in too much, and throws himself at the ball too much, but against Aguero yday, for me the best striker in the Prem, i thought he played well, and didn't look out of place.

I think the defence is sort of sorted atm, with Sissokho, Hutton and Senderos all being fairly solid.

Too often he is given the ball, by Westwood in particular, when he shouldn't be, and he has no option but to get rid of it.

A good solid defender, and still young, still dives in too much, and throws himself at the ball too much, but against Aguero yday, for me the best striker in the Prem, i thought he played well, and didn't look out of place.

I think the defence is sort of sorted atm, with Sissokho, Hutton and Senderos all being fairly solid.

Really, we could have conceded 6 yesterday.

• Like 1

As I have always said his tackling & heading are his strong points. To really cut it in the prem his distrubution needs to improve - take nothing away from him he played great yesterday - on tackle in particular had me out of my seat applauding.

Man. City probably could score 6 against pretty much all teams they play in the league bar Chelsea.

when we sit back so deep like we did yesterday it suits him. it compresses the area of the pitch he has to defend and he doesnt have to worry as much about runners getting in behind, getting pulled out of position into areas he is not comfortable etc. he can just stay in the middle of the box and clear any balls that come in.

• Like 2

Man. City probably could score 6 against pretty much all teams they play in the league bar Chelsea.

true but we are playing more defensively this season than last. We have probably created the lowest amount of chances out of anybody in the league. Our defence should be better and thats not just because the back 4 are better. 

• 2 weeks later...
Â