Nathan Baker

AVFC-Prideofbrum

• 3 months later...

Apparently Nathan has gone out on loan today to Millwall for one month. Can only be good for this injury-prone youngster who has seemed to hold some promise...but will probably never make it as a regular first teamer for Villa

agreed it's a good loan for him but why won't he make it here? he's a very good cb

Well I hope I'm wrong, but he's in the same age bracket as Herd, Albrighton, Bannan, etc., but doesn't seem to be showing much sign of breaking into the first team squad on a regular basis. His series of injuries have not helped him, of course...

• 4 months later...

I think he let the occasion get to him at Chelsea he seemed somewhat nervous, though at Liverpool he seemed really confident and for a defender the Liverpool game was the harder match as we sat back for 80% of the game, he had no room to relax.

Looks a better prospect for me than Clark.In fact i think him and Clark could be a good partnership in years to come.

He's quick, especially on the turn, which is why i like him.Only 19, will fill out, and get better.Looks a very good prospect to me.

Clark I'd say is more a technical defender, playing in midfield will and has likely improved his overall game. Baker looks like a proper old fashioned center back. Both should have a role to play in the squad over the next year and beyond hopefully.

Looks a better prospect for me than Clark.In fact i think him and Clark could be a good partnership in years to come.

He's quick, especially on the turn, which is why i like him.Only 19, will fill out, and get better.Looks a very good prospect to me.

I'm pretty sure Baker is older than 19!

I'm pretty sure Baker is older than 19!

He's 20.. 21 in about 2 weeks.

He was good yesterday alongside a very good performer in James Collins. He is very much from the old school of defending in comparison to Clark who is more technical, similar to how Gareth Barry was as a youngster I'd say. My only worry for a player like Clark is the nurturing he will receive at the hands of McLeish. If we are going to be making more use of our youth, then I just hope it is done so in the correct way as there is no requirement to utilise such negativity on a football pitch; in terms of tactics. They need to be allowed to express themselves so that we as fans can give a better judgement.

Both Baker and Clark use the ball well.Mcl has'nt taken that out of their game.Villas lack of football comes from the more experienced players.Baker, GG, Clark, Eric, Weimann, Bannan, and Herd, ALL try to play football, its the Collins, Warnocks, Gabbys of this world who sometimes lack the basics.

Both Baker and Clark use the ball well.Mcl has'nt taken that out of their game.Villas lack of football comes from the more experienced players.Baker, GG, Clark, Eric, Weimann, Bannan, and Herd, ALL try to play football, its the Collins, Warnocks, Gabbys of this world who sometimes lack the basics.

Not sure Gabby lacks the basics, but what does get my goat is the amount of times the ball is in the air and Villa players head it straight back to the opposition rather than control it. We have feck all technical ability in the team, even Ireland was doing it - although it could have been Collins - they both look the same from afar!

• 4 months later...

I thought Nathan Baker did really well when he moved to central defence against Everton. I much prefer him to Clark. He's dominant in the air, quick and he's not too bad on the ball. He's got a lot of potential in my opinion and is one of the positives to have taken from the Everton game.

He wasn't great at left back, but I don't think anyone sees his long term future there and it's a testament to his ability that he can be played there.

I think Clark's impending 3 match ban could be a blessing in disguise because Baker is much the better defender and we need some solidity.

Â