Jean II Makoun

dudevillaisnice

He seems to fluctuate between very good and very sloppy.

One minute he'll make a lovely pass, next minute he'll give it away easily.

Hopefully it's a confidence thing.

He's a good player, you can tell he has quality and he has shown it throughout his career.

The problem is like any player coming from a foriegn league he needs time to adjust and it's going to be twice as difficult playing in a 4-4-2. Due to strong pressing from Newcastle midfield he felt he had to release the ball a lot quicker when he reality at times he could have took an extra touch. Also whenever making a tackle he didn't seem strong enough, something which will be worked on. His actual accuracy of the tackling is quite good but there is never any weight behind it.

Any time we have 4-5-1 for the rest of the season I think he can be used, but in a 4-4-2 system he will just be a passenger at the moment.

I loved his pass for Bents offside goal though, he was doing that all the time in France. We will see the best of Jean II next season :)

I'm still taken by how diffeent he plays for us to how he had done the couple of times I watched at the end of his Lille career. He shows glimpses of that player but it now looks like he's more of a... well, I dunno how you'd describe what he does really. He passes a bit with some flair, one touch stuff and occasional longer balls with some vision, but then he'll cock it up a bit and look a little lost. He also seems slightly scred to tackle.

I hope it's just a side effect of him still finding his way, in the side as well as the league.

Gave away at least 5-6 sloppy passes, he was lucky we weren't punished on one or 2 occassions. Way too casual on the ball just doesn't look up to the pace of the prem yet. Hopefully a full pre-season will help him.

I'd never really anything of Makoun before he arrived at B6, I'd heard of him sure and I'm sure I'd seen games in which he played but I had no knowledge of him so to speak. So I had no real expectations or particular hopes or concerns with his arrival which is unusual as I've normally got a strong opinion on any player we sign.

At this stage I'm still unable to form a view on Makoun, he isn't terrible and he isn't great. I see nothing about him that really excites me neither do see anything that greatly frustrates me. I guess its too early to judge and experience tells me never to cast judgement too soon so I will judge him next season rather than now or at the end of this one.

I'm still taken by how diffeent he plays for us to how he had done the couple of times I watched at the end of his Lille career. He shows glimpses of that player but it now looks like he's more of a... well, I dunno how you'd describe what he does really. He passes a bit with some flair, one touch stuff and occasional longer balls with some vision, but then he'll cock it up a bit and look a little lost. He also seems slightly scred to tackle.

I hope it's just a side effect of him still finding his way, in the side as well as the league.

All the hallmarks of someone finding his way in a new league.

And scared to tackle? He has been carded harshly at least three times on occasions where he actually won the ball, including his red. Anyone would be scared to tackle for a while after that.

He seemed off the pace today and consequently seemed rushed into sloppiness - he usually knows the pass to make before he receives the ball but today he seemed one step behind. When the understanding with other players comes he will be terrific - he's as quick minded as any player I know.

he didnt look at his best today. Maybe just me but he looks a shy character on the pitch could be a language thing.

You can see in glimpses of his talent and that ball for Bent wrongly disallowed goal was brilliant

perhaps itll be next season when he sparks to life. we have this with the new midfielder each season.petrov was given the thumbs down, as was milner (albeit briefly) and even downing. perhaps this time next season he will be the main man...time will tell!

frank barson would not be allowed wihtin 5 miles of any football ground in modern football! a unique part of villa's history. i really though do think Jean II will be very useful next season. he will work brilliantly with milner! (swap back for ireland - no cash! wishful thinking...)

He ventures between the poor and the good, it's such a shame we have people ready to jump on his back when really there are those who should have learned their lesson after Milner and Downing.

I got frustrated with him today, although not as frustrated as I was with Downing balking out of challenges that almost cost us goals.

Was ok today, but was thr right decision to take him off. Plays some lovely balls and has great vision but sometimes gives it away cheaply. Also needs a pre season to get up to the speed and the physicality of the Prem. Imo will be much better next year.

Â