Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

Even the Secret Footballer is slating him now for not moving , talk about a media agenda..this would be the same media who if he moved and 2/3 years from now found himself starting a handful of games and losing his England place would have banged on about what a mistake he made.

Who cares what Dave Kitson has to say on the matter.

• Like 2

There was an article in the MEN yesterday.

In one paragraph the journo was complimenting Milner because he was turning down a chance to stay at Man City because of footballing reasons and he'd play more at Liverpool rather than fighting for his place at Man City.

In the very next paragraph he was slating Delph because he was turning down a chance to play for Man City because of footballing reasons and he'd play more at Villa rather than fighting for his place at Man City.

Basically journalists are all pricks. 

• Like 1

The £8m clause remains.

How do you know this? I'm not arguing about whether it does or not, but where was this confirmed? I've not seen anything credible saying that there is such a clause let alone how much the trigger value is. Lots of people are posting that this is a fact and I've not seen the evidence.

Exactly

I can't know for sure but surely if the clause is there then it's not leaving Avfc in a good position. 

I get your point, however, if the clause was a requirement for Delph to sign it at least means we can get a fee of some sort.

Additionally, I would say we are less likely to get bids now he has seemingly knocked back Citeh, as other clubs would not want to be in the same position.

I agree £8m is better than £0 but then I'd argue we should never have let his contract run down to the wire. £8m will never get us a replacement so my concern is will this same problem arise in 12 months? Great news we still have him on board but we should do all we can to eradicate such a low clause, if it exists (widely reported to exist). 

Sherwood acknowledging the low buyout fee...

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/9912912/christian-benteke-expected-to-stay-at-aston-villa

"I knew there was interest from Manchester City and few other clubs who had shown a lot of interest in Fabian as I expected for such a small fee on the buyout clause,” Sherwood said. “But he never ever indicated to me that he wanted to leave."

Article also mentions Delphs knees as a reason for the signing not gong through, Sherwood's response...

“If he’s got bad knees then I want them! There’s nothing wrong with him,”

• Like 1

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/9912912/christian-benteke-expected-to-stay-at-aston-villa

"I knew there was interest from Manchester City and few other clubs who had shown a lot of interest in Fabian as I expected for such a small fee on the buyout clause,” Sherwood said. “But he never ever indicated to me that he wanted to leave."

Article also mentions Delphs knees as a reason for the signing not gong through, Sherwood's response...

Not a surprise.  

Got to question why Delph insisted on that clause when he's here for the long run and not going to jump ship.

Edited by DCJonah

It's funny about reading the confirmation of the low buyout clause, be interesting to know if there are any caveats at all with that...expires after first year or something?

If delph has an unbelievable season with us, how much will he be worth next season...then how much will we have to sell him for?  A bit frustrating, but I guess the most important thing is retaining his services for as long as we can.

Confirms the club took a massive gamble on the whole loyalty PR videos, good for them he's decided to stay.

• Like 1

Not a surprise.  It was obvious the media were spot on with this one because everybody was saying the same thing.

Got to question why Delph insisted on that clause when he's here for the long run and not going to jump ship.

Not sure the media was spot on, no doubt the "clause" has been made public knowledge by his agents to drum up the interest.  Once bids are lodged, with a clause, we can't really stop them talking to Delph...they talked to Delph and Delph said No.

It's quite far from them all being so spot on, they took the public info...got the sniff that City had put the bid in and he was on his way to see them, but seemingly had it hugely wrong in terms of where the deal was at (or where Delphs head was at).

Don't think we'll ever really know, but I think it pretty much shows that journos of today will take the smallest snippit of info and make a "gospel" story out of it.

Yeah you do wonder if his videos were so heart felt like they're made out, then a low buyout clause wouldn't even be on the table.  But, meh, who cares really...be a highly unlikely situation of another u-turn from here and we seem to have Delph for the start of the new season which I think we need.

I understand the low clause from his perspective, remembering the fact he could have just ran his contract down if he wanted to go, gave him an easy out if we were relegated or showed zero ambition this window etc. There's loyalty and then theres just being an idiot, I'm glad he's decided he's staying and hopefully the clause can now be removed or significantly increased.

I understand the low clause from his perspective, remembering the fact he could have just ran his contract down if he wanted to go, gave him an easy out if we were relegated or showed zero ambition this window etc. There's loyalty and then theres just being an idiot, I'm glad he's decided he's staying and hopefully the clause can now be removed or significantly increased.

Yeah, I suppose we had to offer some assurances of trying to match ambition etc...and the buy out clause is "putting our money where our mouth is" so to speak.

Really hope we do well enough next season to prompt Delph to renegotiate his contract and get rid of this buyout fee.

We need to get rid of it Asap. £8m is a joke figure double it and I could live with it but it's still wouldn't be enough.

As much as I dislike all this brouhaha I'm learning to accept it as simply the new 'rules of the game' of modern football.  And/or the increasingly public nature of everything.  I'm 'getting with the program' as the idiots say.

But yeah, I'm happy Delph is here for next season at least.

Confirms the club took a massive gamble on the whole loyalty PR videos, good for them he's decided to stay.

It was worth that risk. He could have left for nothing without signing a new contract and the £8m clause most likely swung his decision. It was good news at a time that we needed some and it cost less than buying a new player which everyone thought was what we were going to tell the fans about at the game.

Had he left the loyalty thing would have been aimed at the player rather than at the club. As he has decided to start the season with us the player, club and fans are all winners. 

• Like 1

Not a surprise.  

Relegation.

Or just keeping his options open.

You can't blame him. We are a shit team.

• Like 1

Â