Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

Some clown on RAWK (yes I read it for a laugh) seems to think that Man Citeh were trying to sign Delph cheaply for Liverpool as part of the Sterling deal.  :blink:

They have cracked the case! :)

I think we can deduce from that little pearl of wisdom that it was clear. The release clause was for Champions League clubs only, no media conspiracy here boys.   :detect:

• Like 1

Some clown on RAWK (yes I read it for a laugh) seems to think that Man Citeh were trying to sign Delph cheaply for Liverpool as part of the Sterling deal.  :blink:

see them lads know a conspiracy when they see one

none of this amateur conspiracy theories like on VT

• Like 2

Wait, how have the media got Sherwood to go along with their made up rubbish? Strange.

Sherwood didn't say he was going and did a u-turn. He said he had an opportunity to go and decided to stay. That does not confirm that the media were right about anything beyond City activating the release clause. He may have never done anything more than ask Richards about it or he may have been minutes from joining. Probably somewhere in between, like listened to their offer and decided no. Still no credible evidence that he was set for a medical, other than the classic "sources say..." and "we understand that..." There's more to suggest that he never got that close, and I still believe the media got ahead of themselves.

Either way, we'll never know for sure. Delph is certainly never going to come out and admit that he was as good as gone even if it were true.

• Like 3

with you on that.i think they made an approach and he said no.when richards said he told delph about city i think that is when they made there move and he turned them down.the medical bs was media being made fools of.

with you on that.i think they made an approach and he said no.when richards said he told delph about city i think that is when they made there move and he turned them down.the medical bs was media being made fools of.

Hmmm... I think there's more to it than that to be honest.

@MicahRichards: If people actually think I had a influence on Delph not going to city your wrong! And I have nothing but great things to say about city!

I kind of wish Richards would just shut up

yeah your not a CB and surely you want the club your at to keep its best players

Wait, how have the media got Sherwood to go along with their made up rubbish? Strange.

Sherwood didn't say he was going and did a u-turn. He said he had an opportunity to go and decided to stay. That does not confirm that the media were right about anything beyond City activating the release clause. He may have never done anything more than ask Richards about it or he may have been minutes from joining. Probably somewhere in between, like listened to their offer and decided no. Still no credible evidence that he was set for a medical, other than the classic "sources say..." and "we understand that..." There's more to suggest that he never got that close, and I still believe the media got ahead of themselves.

Either way, we'll never know for sure. Delph is certainly never going to come out and admit that he was as good as gone even if it were true.

How does this "confirm" that there is a release clause? City might have offered £30m. This doesn't tell us anything about a release clause. It just means everyone is for sale at the right price. After all City have a vested interest in not revealing that they offered silly money and still failed to get the player they wanted. That also explains why no-one else has come in.

But it's all speculation.

@MicahRichards: If people actually think I had a influence on Delph not going to city your wrong! And I have nothing but great things to say about city!

I kind of wish Richards would just shut up

I did just read an extract from the daily mail, and they're running with a story that suggests Delph is staying because Micah talked him out of it.

I suppose he's just commenting on that speculation, although he does himself no favors in the first place by talking about it.  Though convincing anyone that blaims him for them "not getting their man", they'll have to go find another excuse as to why their beloved city missed out on our player.

If we had got £8m for Delph from City while Liverpool got £49m for Sterling I would have been mighty miffed.

Puts everything into perspective right there.

If you put all our players into a pie that makes up the team, Delph would be a massive slice...you cannot replace that for £8...

I think too many people complicate things....

It certainly appears there is a release clause of sorts - and I reckon Citeh met it. The comments from Tim suggest there was a good chance he was leaving.And the club in some way confirmed this to members of the media, who assumed that the rest  (terms, medical, etc) would be easy, so Fab was off.

For all his love of the club, Delph would be bonkers to not at least talk to Citeh, in my opinion, which is probably why the story didn't die before it really started (his missus is due to give birth any minute, so Delph probably didn't dart up there immediately). However, he isn't stupid and knows how great things are for him at the Villa, and although things could get better at Citeh, it could easily go wrong and his career come to a grinding halt.

He decided to stay.

Obviously I am filling in a few blanks, but there is nothing in that version that is unlikely or unusual - other than a footballer not grabbing the maximum amount of cash.

If we had got £8m for Delph from City while Liverpool got £49m for Sterling I would have been mighty miffed.

Puts everything into perspective right there.

If you put all our players into a pie that makes up the team, Delph would be a massive slice...you cannot replace that for £8...

You could however buy a large pie for £8

• Like 2

I really think that this is a massive boost for the club, and will make us a more attractive proposition for players to come here. A current first team England player has just turned down Citeh's riches to stay here. Other's will probably want to know why.

I do think that the club missed a small trick with the statement - it was a chance to really big up the club as a justification of why he stayed - the 'this is my club' is brilliant, but makes him look like a fan, rather than a professional who finds his place of work to be the best he could ever wish for.

I think the club had already played it's PR card 6 months ago when he signed the contract. They royally **** up the opportunity to ram the point home by removing him from media on Friday night, that was silly. Nobody was thinking much about it at the time, like the fans they should have just waited it out and rolled with the punch when it came.

It's unfortunate. But in private, they can still use this as a huge selling point. Come to The Villa, put a couple of decent years in and Man City will come sniffing. But be warned, by that point you may not want to leave...

...Who said loyalty is dead (aside from just about everyone).

Â