Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

So Westwood says he told him he wasn't going anywhere. Delph himself has said he's not leaving. A Villa fan was pictured with him the day before his 'medical' and he said he wasn't leaving.

A group of journalists renown for talking bollocks join together to say he's having a medical and is leaving.

I think it's time we just forgot about the whole saga and just appreciate the fact that he's had two chances to leave, and he hasn't. There aren't many players in the world who have turned down a CL club with mega money to stay at a lower league side. You see every year in this country, Spain, Germany etc that even boyhood fans leave for the big teams. I think he deserves huge credit.

Edited by villarule123
  • Like 4

He was due to join Man City, numerous journalists were briefed to that end, but the move has now been shelved. Things change.

Who was briefed and by whom? It's kind of important if we're to assess whether the journalists were acting reasonably. Also wtf does "due ro join" mean? That's new - the furthest any journo took the story was he was going for a medical.

I think they talked to Doris. Doris told them what her friend read on twitter. Doris out.

She still makes a great cuppa tea though

• Like 2

Seems like the Daily Mail based their story on Richards' giving Delph advice and Sky Bet suspending betting on him leaving. After that I just think other media outlets just took it as gospel and reported it without actually checking out the facts, even the BBC. Apologies for not posting this in the media thread, in off topic.

He was due to join Man City, numerous journalists were briefed to that end, but the move has now been shelved. Things change.

Who was briefed and by whom? It's kind of important if we're to assess whether the journalists were acting reasonably. Also wtf does "due ro join" mean? That's new - the furthest any journo took the story was he was going for a medical.

I think they talked to Doris. Doris told them what her friend read on twitter. Doris out.

She still makes a great cuppa tea though

I personally can't stand the revisionism about Doris. If anything, she's one of the reasons he's staying.

• Like 1

The "medical is booked for tomorrow" probably came from Villa reading inbetween the lines.  'Numerous journalists were briefed to that end' then promotional material removed with his face on.

Players in Portugal aren't going to blab about it, they probably had no idea it happened so quickly. 

I believe it was simply a U-turn and not journalist error. 

Delph is still in complete control of his destiny and it worries me. The £8m clause remains. Sure, he has had a change of heart now and what I think he is doing is taking a small gamble. I think his mentality is this:

I need to play week in week out to ensure I play at Euro 2016. There is a chance the Villa takeover will happen and Villa can start to climb the table and play Europa League and challenge for cups regularly and I may not need to leave. If we are still relegation candidates this time next year then, oh well we gave it a shot, now no one can blame me for wanting to leave again. Someone will pay £8m. 

I don't mind him having a clause but £8m is a joke. I'd forgive him for leaving if we got £15-20m which would still be a good deal for a top side. 

He'll give an interview at some point next season in which he'll probably say what happened. Not in the near future, let the dust settle and let the Football do his talking.

People will forget about this soon enough with MOTM performances.

Delph is still in complete control of his destiny and it worries me. The £8m clause remains. Sure, he has had a change of heart now and what I think he is doing is taking a small gamble. I think his mentality is this:

I need to play week in week out to ensure I play at Euro 2016. There is a chance the Villa takeover will happen and Villa can start to climb the table and play Europa League and challenge for cups regularly and I may not need to leave. If we are still relegation candidates this time next year then, oh well we gave it a shot, now no one can blame me for wanting to leave again. Someone will pay £8m. 

I don't mind him having a clause but £8m is a joke. I'd forgive him for leaving if we got £15-20m which would still be a good deal for a top side. 

I don't think anyone is under the impression that us continually finishing 16th or 17th ever facking season is going to lead to Delph or Grealish or anyone else playing out their career.

We need to improve now. I can only hope Delph has been told the takeover is all but done so either we improve quickly or we eventually go down.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone is under the impression that us continually finishing 16th or 17th ever facking season is going to lead to Delph or Grealish or anyone else playing out their career.

We need to improve now. I can only hope Delph has been told the takeover is all but done so either we improve quickly or we eventually go down.

I agree 100% with you. I just feel the club should make him realise £8m clause is not going to help us. I feel he owes it to us to at least get a good deal should it come to that in a years time. Sign that clause away and if he wants a clause have it at a level which is respectable. 

We don't even know if he has an £8M buyout clause in his contract. The media were wrong about him leaving they might be wrong about that too.

They weren't wrong about him leaving, he obviously was. But has had a change of heart for whatever reason.

To think none of this is true and has just been made up by the media is a bit bonkers. There's obviously truth in it.

Â