Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

If we had got £8m for Delph from City while Liverpool got £49m for Sterling I would have been mighty miffed.

Puts everything into perspective right there.

If you put all our players into a pie that makes up the team, Delph would be a massive slice...you cannot replace that for £8...

You could however buy a large pie for £8

You can buy a couple of the large pukka ones actually, good deal.

• Like 1

I think the club had already played it's PR card 6 months ago when he signed the contract. They royally **** up the opportunity to ram the point home by removing him from media on Friday night, that was silly. Nobody was thinking much about it at the time, like the fans they should have just waited it out and rolled with the punch when it came.

It's unfortunate. But in private, they can still use this as a huge selling point. Come to The Villa, put a couple of decent years in and Man City will come sniffing. But be warned, by that point you may not want to leave...

...Who said loyalty is dead (aside from just about everyone).

I think they'll take it, as things have transpired.

They were looking down the barrel of the worst PR mess up ever with all the loyalty promos...and then him leaving.  It's saved face all round now he's staying, lucky miss.

It all matters not a jot now really, like us, the villa themselves will be thinking thank **** he's staying lol.

Fair enough. Point was, Friday night was too late to remove him from the promotional material. That horse had already bolted. It actually made us look a bit petty.

However, it dispels the myth that Gueye was purchased to replace him. If that were the case he'd not have been on the promo stuff at all seeing as Gueye was signed 2 weeks ago.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

@MicahRichards: If people actually think I had a influence on Delph not going to city your wrong! And I have nothing but great things to say about city!

I kind of wish Richards would just shut up

Couldn't agree more. He seems to love the look of his own name in newsprint, and his constant bibbling on about City is already very stale. 

• Like 1

The £8m clause remains.

How do you know this? I'm not arguing about whether it does or not, but where was this confirmed? I've not seen anything credible saying that there is such a clause let alone how much the trigger value is. Lots of people are posting that this is a fact and I've not seen the evidence.

Exactly

I can't know for sure but surely if the clause is there then it's not leaving Avfc in a good position. 

alot of talk about the homegrown quota and man city being thin on it now

Does it mention Delph turning them down? No

considering how many pundits and media talk about players career being ruined etc by moves to bigger clubs for the money you would think Delph turning them down would be in the article

Edited by Villan81

The £8m clause remains.

How do you know this? I'm not arguing about whether it does or not, but where was this confirmed? I've not seen anything credible saying that there is such a clause let alone how much the trigger value is. Lots of people are posting that this is a fact and I've not seen the evidence.

Exactly

I can't know for sure but surely if the clause is there then it's not leaving Avfc in a good position. 

I get your point, however, if the clause was a requirement for Delph to sign it at least means we can get a fee of some sort.

Additionally, I would say we are less likely to get bids now he has seemingly knocked back Citeh, as other clubs would not want to be in the same position.

Delph is such a 'player with something about him', the proud, crusading scamp.  Will that 'something' eventually become who he actually is, day in, day out?  I would argue that we have to, as a club, reach for those elevated states if we really want to progress.  How many Villa players truly 'make themselves' at this club?  Is it a coincidence that it tends to be defenders?

Anyway, wonder if these shenanigans will have any impact on how the faithful view him.

• Like 1

considering how many pundits and media talk about players career being ruined etc by moves to bigger clubs for the money you would think Delph turning them down would be in the article

apart from all those news articles saying hes turned down city and committed to villa? simple google search shows plenty. Theyre not going to talk about if his career is better off or it isnt because they just have noway to tell 2 days after he turned them down (or they will never be able to tell)

Edited by gharperr

apart from all those news articles saying hes turned down city and committed to villa? simple google search shows plenty. Theyre not going to talk about if his career is better off or it isnt because they just have noway to tell 2 days after he turned them down
the sky sports one that talks about the top 6 quota doesnt mention it ( dont have to google it its on the app )

just googled a skysports news article which talks about delph turning down city and staying at villa. Its not really a news story which is going to get days and days of articles as there is no speculation anymore.

edit: sorry i misread. you said "delph turning them down would be in the article". i thought you said "be an article". sorry. ignore me. wish i could give you back 25 seconds of your life i just wasted :D

Edited by gharperr

just googled a skysports news article which talks about delph turning down city and staying at villa. Its not really a news story which is going to get days and days of articles as there is no speculation anymore.

edit: sorry i misread. you said "delph turning them down would be in the article". i thought you said "be an article". sorry. ignore me

not so much hating and yes there are articles but my point was sky sports write an article title ' Home Grown Hunt '

in that it states about the home grown that has left city and says they are having to focus on it as shown by the interest in Sterling

Delph isn't the best midfielder in the world but being ' Home Grown ' & England International then the deal that was nearly done would of got a mention?not often you hear of player from smaller clubs turning down Mega rich man city

Schneiderlin has just gone for £25million and we almost lost Delph for £8million.

Put things into perspective there. We really need to try and re-negotiate that clause out of his contract if it exists.

This is exactly what makes me think the release clause is at best not a straight forward affair, or simply non-existent. Alan Hutton said his guess was that it could've been relegation-linked but didn't know for sure.

If Delph was availble for a simple £8m, then surely Southampton would've bid. So would Liverpool. Chelsea like to buy players 'cheaply' then sell them on at a huge profit. Where were these bids?

As Limpid said, Man City were the only ones sniffing around. Maybe the reason it was only them was because Delph's price was his market value and they were happy to pay to £15m - 20m to get him? I don't know, or actually care. 

He's our player and captain. Whether he loves the club or not, football is his job and he's chosen to stay with this employer over a bigger, and much better paying employer, and that alone is the only thing that matters to me.

Schneiderlin has just gone for £25million and we almost lost Delph for £8million.

Put things into perspective there. We really need to try and re-negotiate that clause out of his contract if it exists.

This is exactly what makes me think the release clause is at best not a straight forward affair, or simply non-existent. Alan Hutton said his guess was that it could've been relegation-linked but didn't know for sure.

If Delph was availble for a simple £8m, then surely Southampton would've bid. So would Liverpool. Chelsea like to buy players 'cheaply' then sell them on at a huge profit. Where were these bids?

As Limpid said, Man City were the only ones sniffing around. Maybe the reason it was only them was because Delph's price was his market value and they were happy to pay to £15m - 20m to get him? I don't know, or actually care. 

He's our player and captain. Whether he loves the club or not, football is his job and he's chosen to stay with this employer over a bigger, and much better paying employer, and that alone is the only thing that matters to me.

Agree completely. I'd imagine that it was a release clause for Champions League clubs but like you said, I don't really care anymore.

So glad he is staying.

I'm bored of his constant love in with city. We all know his history there & what he think of the club. You're here now so shut up & get on with it.

you would think they were Liverpool the way people are going on about them

Even the Secret Footballer is slating him now for not moving , talk about a media agenda..this would be the same media who if he moved and 2/3 years from now found himself starting  a handful of games and losing his England place would have banged on about what a mistake he made.

It does seem to be an internet phenomenon that a lot of people seem to like being judgemental of others.  They'll take whichever stance allows them to do that rather than have their own moral compass.  Plus journos have the added incentive of trying to generate sales/clicks so they'll simply align themselves with the juiciest story or whichever way the wind is blowing that day.

What I find especially odd about the media position on this issue is that barely 8 weeks ago we were in the midst of a Stevie G "loyalty" wank fest. 

Or was it OK to be loyal then because its it was a) Liverpool and B) he'd won a few trophies. 

Basically journalists are all pricks. 

There was an article in the MEN yesterday.

In one paragraph the journo was complimenting Milner because he was turning down a chance to stay at Man City because of footballing reasons and he'd play more at Liverpool rather than fighting for his place at Man City.

In the very next paragraph he was slating Delph because he was turning down a chance to play for Man City because of footballing reasons and he'd play more at Villa rather than fighting for his place at Man City.

• Like 1

Â