Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

I don't think we are too far behind Southampton or Swansea.

I think we are in terms of the football they play. They play a way which is easy on the eye, and have done consistantly week in week out for a couple of years. We're nowhere near that. Even when they lose games they still seem to play well.
But if the football they play only puts them less than a handful of points better than us, how is it better than ours?

Your question answers itself surely.

Kind of confused by the people saying they aren't too worried about losing him because he's easily replaceable. Who can we sign with his ability in our current on-and-off field situation? And even if we could, I would prefer to replace the majority of the starting XI and bench before having to replace him

How? My point is, if they're pretty much on the same points as us, their style of play clearly isn't as incredible as many make it out to be. 

As I've said many times, "good football" is whatever type of football wins a match. Enjoyable or nicer to watch football is what I think people are getting at wanting.

Why are guys talking like he's already left/decided not to renew?

Because it's villatalk and we love a knee jerk reaction and an excuse to moan.

Can't wait for all the humble pie when he signs a new deal

How is thinking delph may leave a knee jerk reaction and just an excuse to moan? And why would someone have to eat humble pie if he signed a new deal?

I think its a legitimate concern to have at the moment.

Southampton are pretty far ahead of us in both squad quality and club structure.

Look at how Southampton replaced a good manager and players and look at how we did it.

They're miles ahead of us in how they are run.

Delph is not worth anymore than his 45k a week pay he gets now. As someone else pointed out there is very little end product. He does keep the ball well and can pass a player or two but he also takes one to many touches in areas of the pitch he shouldn't, also liable to pick up bookings and his injury record is not that great to either.

We stuck by him, if he doesn't stick by us then he will get what he deserves in a more demanding club....failure. If he stays, builds on his playing ability then he will become a great player, he can go in two years time, earn us a fee and everyone's happy.

Southampton are pretty far ahead of us in both squad quality and club structure.

Look at how Southampton replaced a good manager and players and look at how we did it.

It's fair to suggest that both are ahead of us in certain regards, but financially it's "easier" to develop coming up through the leagues.  Southampton have done incredibly well (a lot of this has to do with how good their youth academy has been) but have also been a "big club" playing at a lower level.  Like any relegated team (Norwich, Leeds, Forest etc. etc.), you need to strip out the high-wage players and re-build - something that we've had to do whilst still in the Premier League.  We've also never sold £90m of players in a season - much easier to spend that "free money" on talent than it has been for us.

Not to take anything away from Southampton, just an unfair comparison.  Everton would be a closer one for me - and they've done well by, essentially, not gambling.

Edit:  For Delph, I can't see why he wouldn't stay outside of a European team (i.e: playing European football) coming in.  Swansea, Southampton, Stoke, West Ham et al are all arguably better than us, but not by such a significant amount that you'd want to give up first team action for possible rotation imo.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 2

It's fair to suggest that both are ahead of us in certain regards, but financially it's "easier" to develop coming up through the leagues.  Southampton have done incredibly well (a lot of this has to do with how good their youth academy has been) but have also been a "big club" playing at a lower level.  Like any relegated team (Norwich, Leeds, Forest etc. etc.), you need to strip out the high-wage players and re-build - something that we've had to do whilst still in the Premier League.  We've also never sold £90m of players in a season - much easier to spend that "free money" on talent than it has been for us.

Not to take anything away from Southampton, just an unfair comparison.  Everton would be a closer one for me - and they've done well by, essentially, not gambling.

Edit:  For Delph, I can't see why he wouldn't stay outside of a European team (i.e: playing European football) coming in.  Swansea, Southampton, Stoke, West Ham et al are all arguably better than us, but not by such a significant amount that you'd want to give up first team action for possible rotation imo.

They are not better than us they just have clever owners and decent managers that's all!

a blow but one we are better equipped to deal with from last year, think Richardson could play the Delph position in our midfield tomorrow and not be a problem

Delph is a very good player, Richardson is a very limited player. Of course it will be a problem.

a blow but one we are better equipped to deal with from last year, think Richardson could play the Delph position in our midfield tomorrow and not be a problem

Agreed
I disagree. The game's Saturday ;) Other than that though, yup, agreed!
  • Like 2

Â