Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

Great news. Loosing Vlaar is one thing, but loosing Delph would be really hard to stomach. He can be our new Milner. And with Tom and Andi we could have a really good midfield for a few years to come.

Milner got something like 12 goals and 15 assists in the season he played centrally. Delph simply doesn't have the end product to ever come anywhere near to those figures. Other than both having a great engine, I never understood why comparisons between the two are constantly made.

• Like 2

Great news. Loosing Vlaar is one thing, but loosing Delph would be really hard to stomach. He can be our new Milner. And with Tom and Andi we could have a really good midfield for a few years to come.

Milner got something like 12 goals and 15 assists in the season he played centrally. Delph simply doesn't have the end product to ever come anywhere near to those figures. Other than both having a great engine, I never understood why comparisons between the two are constantly made.

Different players. Delph is quicker and has better feet but as you say, the end product is not as good, in fact it's some way behind Milners. Nonetheless, he's possibly my favourite player at the club and I do hope he signs. 

I'd suggest our possession has a bit to do with it. Our long shots tend to be from counter attacks where no one can be put through. If we manage to keep the ball and move it more building attacks, it should help with a whole range of goal scoring opportunities.

I'd suggest our possession has a bit to do with it. Our long shots tend to be from counter attacks where no one can be put through. If we manage to keep the ball and move it more building attacks, it should help with a whole range of goal scoring opportunities.

No-one can be put through on a counter attack? If anything it's harder to thread passes (and take shots) when playing a possession game, as the opposition is generally in front of you. 

I find it strange how Delph has lost the ability to smash goals in, he used to score thunderbolts for Leeds. Less time to take the shot maybe?

I think it's more to do with the fact Leeds were in League 1.

Where he had more time to take the shot...

You're not telling me a player can only shoot on target in certain leagues?

I find it strange how Delph has lost the ability to smash goals in, he used to score thunderbolts for Leeds. Less time to take the shot maybe?

I think it's more to do with the fact Leeds were in League 1.

Where he had more time to take the shot...

You're not telling me a player can only shoot on target in certain leagues?

He possibly had more shots in league 1 and possibly alot went high wide and into row Z, not just a collection of thunderbolts on youtube. As you say less time and possibly less shots. However alot has happened to him since his time at Leeds.

I'm really not sure if he can do too much better than us particularly if he wants to play regularly.

Fair enough top 4 clubs might want him on the bench. And a number contract will probably tempt him.

But if he wants to be a regular I'd suggest we are as good as it gets. Maybe Everton.

I'm not too worried about it personally. He's a good player for us and id be a little annoyed if he went for free but like someone mentioned earlier definitely replaceable.

I don't think you realise how awful we actually are. He could do a lot better, he would walk in Southampton/Swansea/Everton who will all be progressing and challenging for Europe. He could also easily go and get into some top European teams.

Seriously we are on a huge downward spiral and it doesn't look like ending, yes we might be a bigger club than those above but so are Leeds and Forest. They are progressing and we aren't, I see very little appeal for him to stay at Villa regardless of the contract we put on the table.

I actually thought we were in the Vlaar thread, my mistake. The same situation does apply to Delph though but he isn't as good or in a strong a position as Vlaar is.

I think we are miles behind them teams. We are slightly better than the bottom few, QPR, Burnley, Leicester, West Brom and in a battle with the likes of Newcastle, Sunderland, Hull, Palace, West Ham and Stoke. I think we are pretty far behind Swansea, Everton, Southampton, Spurs.

No-one can be put through on a counter attack? If anything it's harder to thread passes (and take shots) when playing a possession game, as the opposition is generally in front of you. 

Are you saying no one can be put through on a counter attack or that I'm saying it*? Because of course you can put someone through unless its a complete solo effort, and its when that final ball can't be played/bad choices/greedyness that the long range shot comes in.

I agree about the difficulties about having the opposition in front of you, but its not about one or the other its about options and having the ball longer which should give more options if the players are up to it.

* re read it and realise how you read it, think i probably explained what i meant anyway. 

Edited by AlwaysAVFC

I don't think we are too far behind Southampton or Swansea.

I think we are in terms of the football they play. They play a way which is easy on the eye, and have done consistantly week in week out for a couple of years. We're nowhere near that. Even when they lose games they still seem to play well.

But if the football they play only puts them less than a handful of points better than us, how is it better than ours?

I don't think we are too far behind Southampton or Swansea.

I think we are in terms of the football they play. They play a way which is easy on the eye, and have done consistantly week in week out for a couple of years. We're nowhere near that. Even when they lose games they still seem to play well.
But if the football they play only puts them less than a handful of points better than us, how is it better than ours?

Your question answers itself surely.

Kind of confused by the people saying they aren't too worried about losing him because he's easily replaceable. Who can we sign with his ability in our current on-and-off field situation? And even if we could, I would prefer to replace the majority of the starting XI and bench before having to replace him

Â