Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

I think we get caught up in too many "pigeon hole" descriptions.The days of Hoddle like players are probably gone unfortunately, the modern day central midfielder needs to be pacy, strong, and athletic, if they have a bit more to the game, like Wilshire and Gerrard, then that is a bonus.

What Delph has given us is a mobile, pacy , aggressive player who can close people down quickly, likes a tackle, but does'nt dive in, and can play a bit of football.I particularly like his new found confidence, and turn of pace that enables him to get away from players, he has'nt quite got the hand of picking the final pass yet, but when he does he will be as good as Wilshire, and i think he has it in his game.He has a better pass in him than Westwood, but is not as consistant in his passing as Westwood.

be the fulfillment of what has always been an immense talent that, ahem, some saw a lot earlier than others

MON? ;)

That's an awful thing to call me. How dare you :P

Anyone know his contract situation?

Expires 2015.

If clubs are interested at the end of this season I fully expect him to stay, he owes us in my opinion.

One decent season (early days yet I know) doesn't make up the past few seasons where he was absolutely shocking and at times was unavailable due to injuries.

Finally starting to look the player we had bought, let's hope he keeps this up and also stays injury free now.

A box to box midfielder doesn't need to assist or score to be a box to box midfielder.  What a box to box midfield does is rather than stick to either the defensive half of the middle or the attacking half of the middle, he works both, operating from the edge of his own box to the opponents box! Using high energy, stamina, workrate and good antisipation skills to always be in the thick of the action! There are differnt types of box to box player within this.  There are playmaker types that get lots of assists and dictate the play as well as poping up with a few goals (think Gerrard), there is goal scoring type who is adept at making those late ghosting runs lnto the box (think Lampard), and then there is the destroyer! Delph I would class as the destroyer, he uses his pace and tenacity to quickly close down and dispossess opponents all over the pitch and when in possession runs with the ball through the middle creating space for others. So basically he breaks down oppostion moves and then destroy's the opposition midfields shape!

I would best compare Delph to Roy Keane (as I have mentioned previously)! Now if we had a Scholes (who is a combination of playmaker / goalscorer b2b) we would achieve a new dimension in our play.  Currently we play with two destroyer types and a sitter in midfield, makes it very hard to play through us, but lacks a bit of attacking threat! I think Lambert is currently looking for the missing piece, a hardworking, energetic midfield playmaker. With our three forwards goals won't be a problem so long as the supply is there!

I'd agree with this but the term box-to-box as applied by some in this thread is the Gerrard/Lampard version not purely the destroyer version. Personally, I'd term the destroyer version defensive midfield or central midfield (with no reference to "box-to-box").

It seems though you agree with me Delph's main assets aren't attacking? This is my point and I'm getting criticised for it.

Box to box is about WHERE you play not what your qualities are! b2b players are usually jack of all trades but a jack of all trades is usually better in some areas than others.  I believe Delph's attacking is being overlooked by you because of how he has been used up until and that his tenacity and tackling are what immediately catch the eye! Delph has nice technique, a good first touch, and at leeds he showed he can shoot (and not just blast it, can curl it or sidefoot it too). He is also a capable passer.  The thing is when you play at such a high tempo counter attacking style, and when you're playing teams that will control possession its the defensive traits that will come to the fore! When team look to sit back and defend Delph will have show the other side of his game and hopefully he will show improvement there too!

Delph is not much of a goalscorer, but he is actually very technical, and his dribbling ability is a quality that is used to attack! He is not the goalscorer, but does have a bit of playmaker about him. Many of our best attacking moves came from a Delph dribble or him winning the ball in the opponnets half.  Remember defensive qualities can also be used to attack! Your interpretation is too narrow! Players have many different qualities so even though players play in the same area of the pitch the way they play, and what they bring to the style of play is going to be different!

When you have the energy Delph has the only way to expliot it is by giving him the freedom to roam! rmember Roy Keane also scored and assisted goals as well, his strength was his energy, aggresson and tackling, but his movement and positioning were also first class! I am not saying Delph is as good as him but their games are similar.  Previously Delph used to get caught out of position a lot, but thats improving as he has finally had a chance for A. a run of games and B started getting used to the tempo of the prem.  I personally feel he is still adjusting, and that a 10 to 15 game run will see the finer points of his game come out. 

So pleased that his performances are now becoming consistently good.  I was one who doubted him but thrilled he is proving me wrong.

I think once he scores a goal as well this will really help him and he may even get better!

• Like 1

Still can't believe the lad still hasnt scored a goal for us, hope he bags one soon.

Well actually he has scored against brighton in the FA cup and Tranmere in the league cup but I take your point about league matches

Given he's 6/4 to score any time against 'pool and has 36 league games left, as an accy (and we'll assume 6/4 is the standard odds and that he'll play every game) that's 84,703,294,725,429 to 1 :P So just under 85 trillion to one.

Nice little earner.

Given he's 6/4 to score any time against 'pool and has 36 league games left, as an accy (and we'll assume 6/4 is the standard odds and that he'll play every game) that's 84,703,294,725,429 to 1 :P So just under 85 trillion to one.

Nice little earner.

Good answer

Wrong thread

might stretch to having a quid on it

Edited by Richard

i HAVE JUST GOT THE MOST UNBELIEVABLE SENSE OF DEJA VU

As for fabian Delph. Totally and utterly gobsmacked. Played well end of last season when he and Westwood improved. Best player on the park by a country mile for me last night.

Getting some much deserved praise on Talksport just now. Also questioning why him and Lowton are being over looked for England. Chelsea fan we could be top 6 after last nights performance.

god no, not england, the national side is sh it enough as it is with over rated muppets like wilshire in the squad

delph is far from international standard yet, probably wont even get there, like most of the young english players we have

i dont mean to be negative or start a fire, but unless were biting at the ankles of the top 5, i can see our players not getting a look in,theres better players from other teams

not only this, but id prefer not to see any of our lads in the england fold, it just causes problems, lets keep them match fit for villa, not for the fa

back onto delph, plenty of praise on here, cant find any footage except from leeds days of him playing well, which doesnt really say much considering it was ages ago

delph, westwood and sylla do seem to play very well, but theres no attack from them, but however if you needed to bring in an attacking midfielder to change tactics slightly, who do you drop? it would have to be delph

Still can't believe the lad still hasnt scored a goal for us, hope he bags one soon.

Give it a couple of days

Definitely could earn himself an England shirt if he keeps these performances up throughout the season and avoids injury.

Avoiding injury is precisely why I'd want him as far away from the England team as possible

Â