Nathan Delfouneso

Ulver

It sometimes astounds me that some people who watch (or profess to watch) so much football understand so little. Everyone's entitled to their opinion but sometimes they're simply talking balls. Especially the person sat next to me at Fulham cursing Delfouneso for having 'a poor game'.

Delfouneso can finish. We know that because he always has, at every level, and has a few senior goals already.

What you might expect, in a 19-year-old making his full debut, is that he wouldn't find the space/angles/runs/chances. But he did. Three or four good ones.

I don't know anything about the kid's commitment in training or anything, although he worked his arse off on Saturday. But if he's smart enough to find space for chances against good Premier League defenders already, and we know he can finish, it's a fairly good bet the goals will follow.

He hasn't featured that much. A few 10/15 minute cameo's and you are right, a long game vs Sunderland.

Don't you think you are being a little harsh saying he MUST step upto the big games when well he's made 1 start. Also, when I think of big games, I think United, Blues, City, Chelsea, Liverpool....not Fulham away.

Give the guy a chance!

You're right, I see the error of my ways. Got that completely wrong. Me and some fellow called Houllier, who probably doesn't know much about football or the Villa.
"Young players don't stay young all their lives. At some stage they will grow and get mature. But their career usually starts when there is an opportunity.

"I know Nathan is not a newcomer because he has already played under Martin (O'Neill) so he knows the Premier League.

I think people probably need to raise their expectations a bit for Nathan. It is time for him to come out & start performing. He has looked promising in his earlier appearances, if perhaps a little overawed by being in the first team. It's time for him to get over the "overawed" bit or he is no use to us. Sorry if that's a bit harsh, but professional football at the top level is a harsh game. He needs to look at how Albrighton and Bannan* have seized their chances and given 120% performances, and learn from them.

EDIT (*and Clark, of course)

Sorry if that's a bit harsh, but professional football at the top level is a harsh game. He needs to look at how Albrighton and Bannan* have seized their chances and given 120% performances, and learn from them.

I agree, but remember he's two years younger than all of them.

Don't get me wrong, I think he'll do pretty well this season, but to see/hear some people writing him off if he doesn't start knocking in goals in the next couple of weeks is embarrassing.

Sorry if that's a bit harsh, but professional football at the top level is a harsh game. He needs to look at how Albrighton and Bannan* have seized their chances and given 120% performances, and learn from them.

I agree, but remember he's two years younger than all of them.

Don't get me wrong, I think he'll do pretty well this season, but to see/hear some people writing him off if he doesn't start knocking in goals in the next couple of weeks is embarrassing.

Well that's what Houllier was asking of him, wasn't it? You don't give a striker a start just to get him some useful work experience.

EDIT - BTW, I had a bit of a search of the thread but couldn't find anyone writing him off because of yesterday's performance, so I think you can be more relaxed on that point.

You don't give a striker a start just to get him some useful work experience.

No, nor do you expect him to be a Premier League player straight away. The 'useful work experience' you dismiss is actually a massive part of it for a teenager in my opinion. Playing kids will often cost you points short term but hopefully gain you them long term.

EDIT - BTW, I had a bit of a search of the thread but couldn't find anyone writing him off because of yesterday's performance, so I think you can be more relaxed on that point

As I said in my last post it was people sitting next to me at Fulham who wound me up, but his performance has certainly (and incorrectly, in my opinion) been described as "terrible" on this thread and I've seen plenty of people saying things like "it's now or never for him" with regards to the next few weeks both around Villatalk and in real life. My point is that "it's now... or possibly next season or the season after," is more likely the case, even though I think he'll do well in the next couple of games.

even if he cost us 2 points against fulham he won us an extra 2 by himself at portsmouth being in the right place at the right time. single handedly knocked blackburn out of the fa cup last year as well with 2 very well taken goals.

he was one of the star performers at the u21 tournament, and will no doubt become a very key player for us. he might take another 12 months before he has the experience and confidence to finish.

Took gabby a while didn't it.

did well on sat i thought. His hold up play surprised me to be fair but he did it very well and competes for headers. He was unlucky not to have a goal to cap a good performance. Hes only gonna get better with a run of games.

Fonz played very well against Fulham. On the other day, he would score at least two goals.

He was little nervous and spurned three good chances, but with experience, he could be a scoring machine. From my point of view, he is better than Gabby in finding the right place, understanding the game and technique.

Just look at his chances against Fulham, he could have a hattrick. Give him more experience, that is my advice.

Took gabby a while didn't it.

Not really relevant, but actually he scored in his first full game for Villa (although, sadly, we lost 4-1 at Goodison :( )

He did of course play as a winger first off.

why is it not relevant :S

Also I would add that his performance on Saturday had everything except a goal. His hold up play was fantastic and he skinned a few people very nicely indeed.

This is true, he played very well overall and almost always managed to direct difficult balls, hoofs and such, to teammates.

I'm much more encouraged by his ability to get into goal scoring opportunities than his failure to put them away. Scoring is always streaky due to the small amount of chances you get in each game (and even good strikers only score 30%-ish of their chances). It's not a real worry unless he goes 10+ games finishing like that.

Did ok against fulham, should have scored at least 1 but there are positives to take from his performance.

Might have helped him if he'd played against burnley instead of watching Stephen Ireland upfront

Agree with that, we should have play Delfounso with Stephen Ireland that night, strange decision that was.

He MUST learn to step up for the big games and get the ball in the net. He could have had a hat trick testerday and probably should have had 2. How much happier would we all be if he had managed that!

:? Hopefully he will but this was his league debut!

i dont understand all this debut talk?

he played against spurz 2 years ago in the league and has played in more than a dozen league games

so it wasnt his league debut then.

he hasnt suddenly appeared on the scene, he has been around the first team squad for 2 years.

i also cant understand the theory that because he may be awesome some day, no one is allowed to say he was terrible in a game?

should he be judged on what he did or what you think he may one day do?

each game is different, fulham i thought he was terrible

Did ok against fulham, should have scored at least 1 but there are positives to take from his performance.

Might have helped him if he'd played against burnley instead of watching Stephen Ireland upfront

Yes an ideal opportunity to give him needed first team starts, especially as our options up front were/are limited

He scored a goal today!

....and had a perfectly good one disallowed!

Pleased for him, would love to see him partnered with Gabby, think the space that would created would serve us very well. Play a flexible 4-1-3-2

My team against Man Yoo!

....................................Friedel....................................

Young..............Collins.............Dunne...........Warnock

....................................Clark.......................................

............Albrighton.......Young........Downing................

...................Delfouneso......Agbonlahor.......................

Â