Nathan Delfouneso

Ulver

I thought Fonz did well for a guy leading the line up front on his own.

I thought it was his best game for us ..shame he missed those headers but his hold up play was pretty good yesterday and maybe he does have a future after all

i thought he was terrible yesterday.

missed 2 reasonably easy headers, was clean through at least 2 times ( well played bannan) and both time he checked back and generally he looked disinterested.

i was under the impression he was reasonably speedy? im sure some on here said he was meant to be faster than gabby? i am probably wrong but he looked slower than carew half the time.

he is young and so hopefully will get far better, we need a proper goal scorer, i dont give a shit if he swans around most of the game doing **** all as long as when the ball comes to him, he puts the bugger in the back of the net.

i know he scored a good amount for the reserves and the youth team so the talent must be there.

im hoping for a far better performance against blackpool, other wise i expect albrighton to start upfront, he looks hungrier, more skillful, better shot, better positioning more direct.

Oh rite, well maybe he didn't do so well then. The one thing that concerns me is his percieved lack of effort. Very much the Moore brothers. Shame really as he has loads of talent. He is pretty quick too, not as fast as Gabby but he is fast.

They were anything but easy headers.

His first header was a very good leap and just inches past the post. As said before, there wasn't much pace on the ball and the only way he was going to score was a header back across the goalie right into the corner. He was inches out.

The second one, was quite high and again with defender and goalie there, had to try to head it over them but under the bar. It was a difficult one.

Admittedly haven't seen the chances on the ground. He also is also very quick, I remember Sunderland last year, he played about 70 minutes and showed some 'Gabby quick' bursts at times. Although is a lot more laid back in his style.

The important thing is though, he had those two headed chances, apparently 2 chances on the ground, so he's getting into the right positions, he's a good finisher, hopefully once he's settled and maybe not trying to hard, the goals will come as long as he's in the right positions.

Hopefully will get a proper look at him against Blackpool anyway :)

Looked a bag of nerves when he found himself with space and time yesterday, which led to chances being lost (though credit for actually moving into space intelligently, unlike some of our other strikers). Should improve with games, hopefully, as he gets used to it and calms down.

Its not surprising that there are those criticising the lad on his first PL start - he showed some real glimpses of class IMO, he was clearly trying too hard and perhaps a bit nervous. He didn't look out of place however, let's hope he can kick on against Blackpool.

i thought he was terrible yesterday.

In his first Premier League start, after not playing not much football at all, what exactly were you expecting?

I'll judge him after the Manchester United game because hopefully then he'd have a run of 3 games.

Its not surprising that there are those criticising the lad on his first PL start - he showed some real glimpses of class IMO, he was clearly trying too hard and perhaps a bit nervous. He didn't look out of place however, let's hope he can kick on against Blackpool.

Completely agree with this.

Embarrassing that some are criticising our young and upcoming striker.

I had read on here a few months ago that he was heading the way of the Moore brothers. Absolutely no evidence of that yesterday. The lad put in a shift and tried his best.

Completely agree with this.

Embarrassing that some are criticising our young and upcoming striker.

I had read on here a few months ago that he was heading the way of the Moore brothers. Absolutely no evidence of that yesterday. The lad put in a shift and tried his best.

I really hope he doesn't go the way of both Stefan and Luke because they also had great potiental. The Fonz still has plenty of time to prove his worth.

He had a good game yesterday IMO and taking in to account it was his first PL start, then he did fantastically.

He was unlucky with both headers and maybe looked a bit nervous when he got that chance in the second half. He showed he's not afraid to take people on and also surprisingly good hold up play.

Carew's injury might be a blessing in disguise?

He had a good game yesterday IMO and taking in to account it was his first PL start, then he did fantastically.

He was unlucky with both headers and maybe looked a bit nervous when he got that chance in the second half. He showed he's not afraid to take people on and also surprisingly good hold up play.

Carew's injury might be a blessing in disguise?

I said a couple of pages ago that I thought he was poor v Fulham. Just watched the highlights again and he does look better than I thought. If he can learn to take the situation by the balls a bit, he'll be a top quality striker.

Did anyone notice GH having a chat with ND at half time? I was impressed with GH's friendly, animated way of talking to Delfouneso. Don't know why.

His nerves probably put him off his finishing but if I am not wrong he had about 4-5 clear cut scoring opportunities on his own. Thinking back to the Blues game, I am not sure our entire team had that many scoring opportunities. So while I am disappointed he couldn't convert the fact that he was in a position to score and on the end of a few crosses/through passes etc was very encouraging.

Give him time to work through the nerves and he will be fine.

He MUST learn to step up for the big games and get the ball in the net. He could have had a hat trick testerday and probably should have had 2. How much happier would we all be if he had managed that!

:? Hopefully he will but this was his league debut!

:lol: I thought that too.

First start Premiership start. The fact he was as Ponky claims '4-5' cleat cut scoring opportunities is good, okay he didn't finish one but from what I've seen, in general, I don't think he'll have problems finding the net. At 19, the fact he's finding the space in between defenders, making the right runs is encouraging. The goals will always come if your in the right places, but if you think about the amount of chances that Gabby, Carew, Heskey get themselves a game, (isn't usually that many) Carew normally has more because he's more of a goalscorer than the other two.

He MUST learn to step up for the big games and get the ball in the net. He could have had a hat trick testerday and probably should have had 2. How much happier would we all be if he had managed that!

You're right on a technicality - it was the first time he's started. But he's featured in plenty of league games and played almost a full match against Sunderland at VP last season.

There isn't a rule that players can't score on their debut, anyway, is there?

You're right on a technicality - it was the first time he's started. But he's featured in plenty of league games and played almost a full match against Sunderland at VP last season.

There isn't a rule that players can't score on their debut, anyway, is there?

He hasn't featured that much. A few 10/15 minute cameo's and you are right, a long game vs Sunderland.

Don't you think you are being a little harsh saying he MUST step upto the big games when well he's made 1 start. Also, when I think of big games, I think United, Blues, City, Chelsea, Liverpool....not Fulham away.

Give the guy a chance!

Â