Nathan Delfouneso

Ulver

Like I used to be interested in what MON had to say as I think for all his faults he did connect with in terms of his pride of being Villa manager! But with Houllier it's just non-existent!

I completely disagree. O’Neill never bought into the Villa in the way the likes of Taylor, Atkinson and Sir Brian did. To him it was just another job. No different in that sense to O’Leary.

What about the second bit of the statement? Do you think Houllier has "bought into" the Villa in the way you saw Taylor, Atkinsin and Little doing?

I think he's realised we're a much bigger club than he first anticipated. That's usually how it starts, but he's only been here five minutes. I'll get back to you in a season or two.

As for Nathan, I’m really excited about the kid taking his chance.

And so consistent in your views!

What?

Its sink or swim time for him now. There's no opportunity to blood him slowly, he's got to do it and I am looking forward to seeing if he can. I hope he does as I think he's a really talented player.

I agree with all the other posters who are saying Houllier doesn't feel like our manager and having no connection with him.

As much as I've tried something just doesn't feel right. I have been to all the games since he as been in charge. Home and away. Chanted his name and really tried to feel some connection with him. And quite frankly I just don't.

During my time as a supporter over 30 years and 23 years of going regularly there have been managers that have instantly felt right. Big Ron, Brian Little, Martin O'Neill and John Gregory even though he was very much a surprise appointment lacking experience, you just instantly knew these guys had passion for the club, bought into our whole history and knew we were a big club and never played down what we could achieve. Graham Taylor very much grew on me and over time I really saw him as a Villa man. In many of the above cases it obviously helped that they had Villa connections before they became manager.

On the other hand I never felt any connection with Jo Venglos, maybe as with Mr Houllier it was something about him being foreign, but he just didn't feel right being Aston Villa manager.

I really hope Mr Houllier grows on me. Winning a few games would certainly help but I have a feeling that special connection that can't really be explained just won't happen with Gerard for me. I hope I'm wrong.

Getting this back on topic I really hope Delfouneso grasps this chance and puts in the kind of performances that many of us believe he is capable of. He has undoubted talent and potential.

"I won't put pressure on [Nathan], I don't want him to feel that this is a make or break game for him," Houllier said. "He's played for England Under-19 and the Under-21s, he scored for them a couple of times. He's been in the squad since I came here. We need to focus on what he can do well, and I expect him to do that and nothing more."

http://tinyurl.com/34xr3rl

It's massive pressure i'll give him that, I also hope the fans realise this isn't make or break for him either, going into the game with that amount of pressure is bound to effect him mentally.

Well the Fonz should be full of confidence, against a championship side leaking goals the manager thought Stephen ireland (a player who he'd slagged off for his previous appearance) and Ashley young out of position were better options than him.

I'm pretty excited, think the kid needs a chance and knowing he could get a run in the side should be motivation for him to try and keep his place once players return.

Can't believe people are trying to criticise the manager by saying they don't feel "connected" to him. Scraping the barrel a bit aren't we?

I don't think anyone has tried to criticise Houllier by saying they don't feel a connection to him. Thats purely down to personal emotions.

What Houllier should and ultimately will be judged on is results. Now I dare say if we go through a period of getting poor results those that like the guy and feel a connection to him will be willing to be a little more forgiving than those he hasn't connected with. Such is life.

This is all way off topic though.

Can't believe people are trying to criticise the manager by saying they don't feel "connected" to him. Scraping the barrel a bit aren't we?

Especially as these are the same people who defend the previous incumbent so staunchly, despite him seeing it as just a job and a stepping stone to something else, who regularly and routinely criticised the home support. Unrequited love is so sad.

Especially as these are the same people who defend the previous incumbent so staunchly, despite him seeing it as just a job and a stepping stone to something else, who regularly and routinely criticised the home support. Unrequited love is so sad.

Steady on now you two. It's hardly as if there are two sides here (MON vs GH). Speaking for myself, and almost certainly lots of others, I defended MON all the way because he was entertaining in interviews and brought good results on the pitch. I will defend GH just the same.

There are already enough people who are such expert managers that they can second-guess every decision taken by people whose entire careers have centered on football. We need to give the manager of Aston Villa our SUPPORT until he proves unworthy of it. When that time comes we won't need any armchair experts to point it out to us.

Delfouneso? A good chance he might get on the pitch against Fulham, eh?!

The thing I find with Delfouneso is that he seems to try too hard rather than being cool like he is for the reserves. If he calms down, I think he can have a real impact.

I agree with this... hopfully more game time will calm him down but it's a matter of needing goals ASAP and I think that is playing on his mind a bit.

Tbh I thought he was pretty poor against Fulham. He was handed a lot of decent chances and couldn't conv ert.

He seems comfortable enough on the ball, but against Fulham he couldn't hold the ball up. Hopefully it's just a confidence issue, because obviously there's talent in there somewhere and he's looking like he'll be quite a big bloke too.

i thought he was terrible yesterday.

missed 2 reasonably easy headers, was clean through at least 2 times ( well played bannan) and both time he checked back and generally he looked disinterested.

i was under the impression he was reasonably speedy? im sure some on here said he was meant to be faster than gabby? i am probably wrong but he looked slower than carew half the time.

he is young and so hopefully will get far better, we need a proper goal scorer, i dont give a shit if he swans around most of the game doing **** all as long as when the ball comes to him, he puts the bugger in the back of the net.

i know he scored a good amount for the reserves and the youth team so the talent must be there.

im hoping for a far better performance against blackpool, other wise i expect albrighton to start upfront, he looks hungrier, more skillful, better shot, better positioning more direct.

Â