Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

The 'slow black car prowling/rolling in rain at night' scene in my film in my head is probably the one that has had the musical accompaniment changed the most.

Running through a football crowd: Curtis Mayfield Move On Up

Dragging bloody body across immaculate white kitchen floor: Nina Simone, Ain't Got No, I Got Life

Existential crisis courtesy of Apocalypse Now proportions: Funkadelic, Maggot Brain

The drop: Horace Andy, Money Money

Opening Credits / opening scene radio and ash tray panning out to cafe breakfast: Tommy McCook, Green Mango

Closing Credits: Golden Fable, Motorcycle Emptiness

yeah, nearly there, filming due to start...soon

It came up in conversation with my mum today that my much younger sister mentioned that polar bears aren't real, and they're just the Coca Cola mascot, and she knew it was true, because I'd told her. At Christmas. I was on my knees almost choking with laughter. :lol:

• Like 3

I just overheard a bloke saying how he accidentally threw his new packet of cigarettes out his car window rather than his empty packet.

Har har, litter bug.

Edit: I just realised the irony in this being our office cleaner.

Edited by Paddywhack

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

That's the amazing thing, they've give him little hands and they'll grow as he does...

as sad as this sounds,it's things like this that makes me glad to be alive.soul enhancing.

If you need some distracting reading, slow day at work, may I present this review of Steve Bruce's literary debut - "Striker"

https://www.balls.ie/football/steve-bruce-novel/293169 

Which has had me giggling for too long. And if you enjoyed that, then thankfully, a follow up review to the equally surreal "Sweeper" is available here:

http://thesetpieces.com/features/sweeper-steve-bruce-review/

If you're unsure I'll quote some from the first link to whet your appetite:

The dialogue of Terry, brought to you by the Iona Institute:

You have a very fit body,” he said, evading my question.
“Glad you like it,” I said, smiling sardonically.
It was clear from his words, his manner, that Terry Causton was no ladies man [sic].

But enough plot. The true joy taken of reading Striker is in the endless, inane bits of filler that seem to comprise 70% of its dismal word count.

For example, at one point two Irish gunmen – never thereafter named, identified, or revisited – abduct Barnes at gunpoint because they believe he had something to do with Duffy’s death. They lead him up to a secluded spot in the hills, at which point Bruce stares death in the face and begins delivering a long internal monologue on irrigation which really does need to be read to be believed;

I could make out the reservoirs made to provide water to the big cities of Lancashire. These reservoirs, dotted everywhere in hidden valleys, are themselves fed with water from upland streams. The previous summer had been a wet one, and the streams were torrents still. In order to facilitate the collection of this hill water, the authorities, the Water Board, had constructed concrete watercourses. These allowed faster and more efficient collection of the rain water.

It should be noted that when his surreal tribute to the Lancashire Water Board is being recited to the reader, Barnes has a gun in his back. Some say that scenes from your life will flash before your eyes in life-or-death situations. Steve Bruce reckons it’ll be Wikipedia pages on Northern England’s civic amenities.

During this abduction, the references becomes more specific still, and in one brief 10-page flourish he makes three entirely separate, equally bonkers asides to ancient history, and specifically to the habits of pre-modern humans in the Lancashire area...

• Like 4

On 25/08/2016 at 09:10, lapal_fan said:

You were an idiot for not changing your provider/sending in readings B) 

But niiiiicccceeeee.

Indeed. It was on my 'to-do' list! I thought I was maybe £500 in credit, so £1400 is a nice surprise

Â