Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

My 2 year old say tomato like she's saying "my mate" in a black country twang 

As a man with a black country twang I find it hilarious and starting throwing in an over the top "alrioght ma maaaate" at her

My German wife not so much 

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

I know a lot of people will think me a right saddo but from Monday my new place of work will be 103 Colmore Row. 

image.png.117fe68fe64b329d26fa86b8917b973a.png

If you HAVE to go into an office for work you might as well go into a properly swanky one? 

Double bubble as our current offices are absolutely shocking. 

Only problem is it will have a full on view of The Sty but by my reckoning there is another couple of office towers blocking the view of Villa Park😔

Nice. They've been building that for what seems like ages. 

I used to work on Colmore Row - best part of town (mate) to work IMO. 

I was based in this building between 1997 and 2000. Loved it. 

Sw8FdQp.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

My 2 year old say tomato like she's saying "my mate" in a black country twang 

As a man with a black country twang I find it hilarious and starting throwing in an over the top "alrioght ma maaaate" at her

My German wife not so much 

But she only says it like that when she's in town ?

4 hours ago, Xela said:

Sw8FdQp.png

I was in there just before lockdown for a presentation from Mills and Reeve. 

4 hours ago, Xela said:

Sw8FdQp.png

Are these apartments now, I think it's where one of my pals lives. Looks all posh, but cannot swing a hamster inside, never mind a cat

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Are these apartments now, I think it's where one of my pals lives. Looks all posh, but cannot swing a hamster inside, never mind a cat

Not these, they are Solicitor's offices. There are probably apartments in neighbouring buildings though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I mentioned before that we got a last minute deal to Orlando. We’re just waiting to catch the flight home. The airport Tui are using is incredible. It’s a really small airport called Melbourne. It’s on the coast near Daytona beach, about an hour from Orlando I-Drive area so not too bad.

The reason for being cheered up is that it’s like a family run shop. It’s small but perfectly efficient. By far the friendliest airport i’ve ever been to, especially in America.

When we arrived they were handing out free bottles of water whilst we collected our bags. 

Then as we left the terminal and walked across to the transfer they were handing out little bags containing a drink, some crisps, fruit and biscuits.

Just arrived for the return flight, super friendly checkin and they are giving out free food vouchers to every passenger. Once through the small but quick security everyone can grab a free cheese burger / fried chicken sandwich / hot dog or ham and cheese toastie, bag of crisps and bottle of water.

The security guard gave the children a security badge sticker.

Ive never been in an airport like it. 

I’m not looking forward to the warzone in the baggage claim at BHX in about 10 hours time.

Spoke too soon.

Flightd grounded due to a storm. Incoming flights being diverted elsewhere :lol: (our plane is here).

I have a feeling this will fall just short of the compensation window, again 😢

Edited by Genie
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Genie said:

Spoke too soon.

Flightd grounded due to a storm. Incoming flights being diverted elsewhere :lol: (our plane is here).

I have a feeling this will fall just short of the compensation window, again 😢

Are they liable even if the delay is caused by nature?

I was on a flight to Dallas for a connection to San Francisco a couple of years ago and a massive storm shut down Dallas airport for over an hour and my flight had to land in Oklahoma and sit on the tarmac for a bit.   Dallas is a major hub for American Airlines, and pretty much every flight of theirs across the country was impacted.  Even though my connecting flight was delayed and I got there in time to catch it, they expected everyone to rebook and bumped me.  Probably thousands scrambling to get flights out and I couldn't get one until the next evening.   I left a conference a day earlier that some colleagues and ended up getting home later than them.   And American wasn't on the hook for anything.   I was out a night at a hotel (nearly impossible to find a room at midnight when hundreds are stranded), a day off work and several Uber rides and got nothing.   They aren't held liable for acts of nature.

7 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

I was on a flight to Dallas for a connection to San Francisco a couple of years ago and a massive storm shut down Dallas airport for over an hour and my flight had to land in Oklahoma and sit on the tarmac for a bit.   Dallas is a major hub for American Airlines, and pretty much every flight of theirs across the country was impacted.  Even though my connecting flight was delayed and I got there in time to catch it, they expected everyone to rebook and bumped me.  Probably thousands scrambling to get flights out and I couldn't get one until the next evening.   I left a conference a day earlier that some colleagues and ended up getting home later than them.   And American wasn't on the hook for anything.   I was out a night at a hotel (nearly impossible to find a room at midnight when hundreds are stranded), a day off work and several Uber rides and got nothing.   They aren't held liable for acts of nature.

I think yes, unless it’s something like snow in the Sahara. I doubt it’ll get to 4 hours anyway.

On 04/06/2022 at 15:37, Rob182 said:

My 20-month-old can say a load of fruits and vegetables reasonably well*, but for cucumber he says “cumbercap”. We can even ask him to say it in parts “cu”, “cum”, “ber”, then when we say it all together he repeats “cumbercap” 😆

Well, cucumber is crap, so he’s really just an r away from being a tiny genius. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Surely they were liable for bumping you in that case, not the weather.

6 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Surely they were liable for bumping you in that case, not the weather.

Not according to them, because it was all caused by the weather.   That being said, I didn't take the time to push too hard because I was traveling for work and got reimbursed for everything in the end.  I wasn't going to expend effort trying to get their money back.

31 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Well, cucumber is crap, so he’s really just an r away from being a tiny genius. 

"It has been a common saying of physicians in England, that a cucumber should be well sliced, and dressed with pepper and vinegar, and then thrown out, as good for nothing."

(Samuel Johnson, quoted by James Boswell in "A Journal of a Tour to the Hebrides") 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

US Rules are not UK rules. UK Rules are still EU rules on this as they haven't had their big bonfire yet

iirc if flights are grounded due to "acts of god" the compo doesn't kick in.

Â