Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

21 minutes ago, bcarpet said:

I disagree, I don't think its a dick move at all, why should the companies (who are already struggling due to being hit by COVID and now soaring costs due to increase in materials etc) have to foot the bill for another day off in which they had no say in?  All our contracts have holidays written as "x numbers of days off (including bank holidays)".  If the Government wanted everyone to have this day off paid, then they needed to foot that bill

Seems a bit stingy to me, I guess if your business is actually struggling I can see it, but while so many companies are celebrating their record-breaking profits (including mine, but still occasionally muttering about covid), I'd be a bit unimpressed if they weren't willing to let people have the day off for a national celebration. We're talking a fraction of a percent of someone's working year for a bit of good will.

As I said, I've never worked anywhere that wouldn't honour this. On its own it isn't a regular enough occurrence I'd be moving job because of it or anything, but I suspect this kind of attitude would be indicative of a poor set of benefits across the board.

If it wasn't a one off, and we got a new bank holiday every year and they didn't include it? Yeah, I'd be out of there like a shot. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bickster said:

Oh yes, I am allowed to work next Thursday

Work gave me the option, jumped at the chance to be in work as did all lads in the two other departments on our floor

F*** you Madge, that's a day you haven't stolen out of my annual leave!

That was posted 5 hours ago.

I should imagine by now you’ve realised you’re missing your street party and the communal signing of Sweet Caroline.

Not so bloody clever now, eh!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, bcarpet said:

I disagree, I don't think its a dick move at all, why should the companies (who are already struggling due to being hit by COVID and now soaring costs due to increase in materials etc) have to foot the bill for another day off in which they had no say in?  All our contracts have holidays written as "x numbers of days off (including bank holidays)".  If the Government wanted everyone to have this day off paid, then they needed to foot that bill

Lord Sugar is that you? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, bcarpet said:

Nah. 

We work the extra day in a leap year, this is just restoring the balance a bit :) 

Huge amounts of businesses have made a fortune through Covid. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Nah. 

We work the extra day in a leap year, this is just restoring the balance a bit :) 

Huge amounts of businesses have made a fortune through Covid. 

Ah monthly salary nonsense. That’s one thing the weekly paid don’t suffer from

My son is dead excited to be working through the Bank Holidays. 

Works at Tesco and being paid double time and a quarter. 

He's like 

tenor.gif

Health insurance for my Dog.

Picked up new tablets yesterday,  gone up from € 300 to €459 for 150 tablets.  He needs 1 per day. (Cortisone)

He almost died last year from Addison's disease and the investigation cost €2200 + .

I only need to pay 10% of the above.  We almost didn't get it 😆.

• Like 2

The Sealy vaccuum pump.

spacer.png

Purchased from Amazon in 2010 on a recommendation from a guy on the Rover forum, this gadget has saved me untold amounts in the last 12 years.

No scrambling about under the car to do an oil change, just pump it all out via the dipstick. Just took me about 20 mnutes and cost thirty quid. Although I am fortunate the oil filter on mine is near the top of the engine bay.

It's only gone up £20 in 12 years, still worth getting one.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

The Sealy vaccuum pump.

spacer.png

Purchased from Amazon in 2010 on a recommendation from a guy on the Rover forum, this gadget has saved me untold amounts in the last 12 years.

Rover ? As in Jaguar Land rover ?

Think you got some explaining to do. 

Mate.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, mottaloo said:

An early birthday present just arrived 😁

20220527_134236.jpg

I remember bookmarking a tweet ages ago with the white shirt. Never found out who it was that was making them. Feel free to DM me a link if you know. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, choffer said:

I remember bookmarking a tweet ages ago with the white shirt. Never found out who it was that was making them. Feel free to DM me a link if you know. 

Done.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Sitting here reading VT on a Friday evening with Depeche Mode playing on shuffle. Beer will be consumed shortly. 

Back in the day I started seeing a girl and I dreamt up this whole plan whereby I bought that Depeche Mode album that had a duck wrapped in cellophane on the cover.

I didn’t like the music, but I knew she did. So I thought I’d get her back to mine, impress her with my wit, slip her fave album on and actual sex stuff would happen.

Never broke the seal. However you want to read that.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

this whole plan whereby I bought that Depeche Mode album that had a duck wrapped in cellophane on the cover.

I didn’t like the music, but I knew she did. So I thought I’d get her back to mine, impress her with my wit, slip her fave album on and actual sex stuff would happen.

Left you thinking “you just can’t get enough” then?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Back in the day I started seeing a girl and I dreamt up this whole plan whereby I bought that Depeche Mode album that had a duck wrapped in cellophane on the cover.

Did she just leave in silence? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Did she just leave in silence? 

If he’d managed to put the album on he’d have got to big muff by the middle of side 2, for sure.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, blandy said:

If he’d managed to put the album on he’d have got to big muff by the middle of side 2, for sure.

tenor.gif

Â