Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

I have things going on that are bringing me down to a feeling that I am struggling to snap out of. Not real life, just work. 

I therefore have a few things over the next few weeks that will perk me up. Friday off to Bearded Theory festival, mainly shit music but it's a festival. A couple of days after that I am off to the Norfolk coast. After that I am going alone to look at planes taking off and landing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

I have things going on that are bringing me down to a feeling that I am struggling to snap out of. Not real life, just work. 

I therefore have a few things over the next few weeks that will perk me up. Friday off to Bearded Theory festival, mainly shit music but it's a festival. A couple of days after that I am off to the Norfolk coast. After that I am going alone to look at planes taking off and landing. 

Go find a new job if the current place is bringing you down. Most companies are seriously struggling to recruit. The world is your lobster right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Maybe apply to work at Air Traffic Control,  everyone's a winner 🛫

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Logged off work and off to Gran Canaria tomorrow. Not back in until a week Monday. 

Been looking at a late booking to Grand Canaria myself. You'll have to let us know how you got on when ya get back. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Happy to suggest places on the Norfolk coast. Big part of my growing up happened there. 

6 hours ago, Anthony said:

Happy to suggest places on the Norfolk coast. Big part of my growing up happened there. 

Thanks. This time it's Happisburgh but usually get over once a year. 

3 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I'll recommend Caister-on-Sea. Beautiful and some lovely places to visit.

I quite like Caister. Last time I was there was about 7 years ago. Nice for a couple of nights. 

6 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I quite like Caister. Last time I was there was about 7 years ago. Nice for a couple of nights. 

There's a place we always go to with the lad called BeWILDerwood. Brilliant day out.

• Like 2

Oh yes, I am allowed to work next Thursday

Work gave me the option, jumped at the chance to be in work as did all lads in the two other departments on our floor

F*** you Madge, that's a day you haven't stolen out of my annual leave!

23 minutes ago, bickster said:

Work gave me the option, jumped at the chance to be in work as did all lads in the two other departments on our floor

How does it work for you bickster, are bank holidays unpaid, or do you get it at a different point when you want it?

4 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Watching Amber Heard and her lawyers embarrass themselves even more as the case goes on.

Are they embarrassing themselves more or less than Rebekah Vardy and her lawyers?

31 minutes ago, bickster said:

Don’t you get paid for taking bank holidays off?

14 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

How does it work for you bickster, are bank holidays unpaid, or do you get it at a different point when you want it?

We get the national minimum holidays plus bank holidays on top (so its quite generous) but it's in the contract as X number of days including bank holidays (I fo. So if I work next Thursday, I just don't take one off my total holidays

But an extra BH means I lose a days holiday that I can choose because when the contracts were written, they weren't written with extra bank holidays to celebrate the worlds most famous matriarch of a dysfunctional family still being alive in mind.

The company would argue that we're already well over the National Minimum number of holidays so they shouldn't have to account for it (and they'd have a point)

For me it's more the principal of not losing a holiday of my choice for Madge because I still have about 6 COVID holidays carried over into this year plus this years allowance and in the new year I'll be probably down to three day weeks again in order to use my holidays up

• Like 1

I think every role I've ever had has been "x days plus bank holidays"

Even if you're over the minimum it's a bit of a dick move to not give out the extra one when most of the country gets it, IMO

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Even if you're over the minimum it's a bit of a dick move to not give out the extra one when most of the country gets it, IMO

I disagree, I don't think its a dick move at all, why should the companies (who are already struggling due to being hit by COVID and now soaring costs due to increase in materials etc) have to foot the bill for another day off in which they had no say in?  All our contracts have holidays written as "x numbers of days off (including bank holidays)".  If the Government wanted everyone to have this day off paid, then they needed to foot that bill

Edited by bcarpet
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Same here.

When I book days off I have to specify if it’s an annual leave day, or a statutory day.

If I had next week off it would be 3x annual leave and 2x statutory.

My contract is 25 days, plus 1 day for every 5 years service, plus bank holidays.

Edited by Genie

Â