Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

Any ‘hobby’ brings a whole social side to it (see @snowychap ‘s article in the virus thread).

I’ve met all sorts of weirdo’s and friends through record collecting that I just wouldn’t meet via streaming or downloading or whatever. From good friends that own record shops, to the ex BBC engineer who had a house rammed full (hoarder stylee) of all manner of old BBC sound gear. More Bakelite knobs than you could shake a stick at. To old work colleagues I’d lost touch with and we recognised each other’s writing style on Gumtree despite both using false names!!!

Nobody on i-player ever gave my nipper a couple of free songwriting tutorials or a 48 hour borrow of Ed Sheeran’s guitar. Although to be fair, if I was paying 79p for a track instead of £15 for an album I probably could have bought the bloody guitar! 

• Like 2

I had a clear out and got rid of hundreds of books that were cluttering the place up that I knew I'd never read again.

Now I have a single bookcase, my absolute favourites are there, almost all hardback versions, and I expect I'll add to it, but anything I'd have bought a paperback copy of goes on the Kindle instead. I save the physical editions for ones that would certainly pop up in a conversation if people asked me what my favourite book is. Admittedly there's a few dozen.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Aside from a small number,  all of my books went to a charity shop. My wife however, still insists on having something hard in her hands. 

PFKW

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I like the real thing too. Never had a Kindle. Tried a couple on my phone before but don’t like it. 

Everyone is different I guess. Some people like real records instead of MP3’s yet that doesn’t bother me at all. 

The Kindle is much better than a phone screen. It genuinely looks like paper. 

I used to have one. Ideal when on a beach/pool holiday when you can get through 2-3 books. Saves a bit of space in the case. Plus in extreme heat, books tend to fall apart (glue melts). Had that happen in Egypt a few times. 

When I move, ideally to a country cottage, I fancy a wood panelled study, stuffed with hardback books.... the classics. Not to read, I just think it looks fantastic! 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Xela said:

The Kindle is much better than a phone screen. It genuinely looks like paper. 

I used to have one. Ideal when on a beach/pool holiday when you can get through 2-3 books. Saves a bit of space in the case. Plus in extreme heat, books tend to fall apart (glue melts). Had that happen in Egypt a few times. 

Yeah that happened to me in Morocco. Books were literally falling apart

45 minutes ago, Xela said:

When I move, ideally to a country cottage, I fancy a wood panelled study, stuffed with hardback books.... the classics. Not to read, I just think it looks fantastic! 

I was SO with you until that 'not to read'. 

booksdofurnisharoom.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I was SO with you until that 'not to read'. 

I'm a bit annoyed with myself recently. Hitting 40 made me question a few things. I've very rarely read the classic novels, i've not learnt a new language or done anything that I wanted. Its my own fault, I finish work mentally exhausted then just let off a bit of steam on here or listen to music. 

I used to read a lot, nothing major, just crime novels, but today I just don't have the concentration to read. I'm too easily distracted by things, be it my own thoughts or my phone beeping away. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I'm a bit annoyed with myself recently. Hitting 40 made me question a few things. I've very rarely read the classic novels, i've not learnt a new language or done anything that I wanted. Its my own fault, I finish work mentally exhausted then just let off a bit of steam on here or listen to music. 

I used to read a lot, nothing major, just crime novels, but today I just don't have the concentration to read. I'm too easily distracted by things, be it my own thoughts or my phone beeping away. 

The good news is all the classics are free on the Kindle as the copyright has run out and you don't have to pay the printing costs!  Shame I find most of them impregnable.

• Like 1

There are now companies that sell the 'books by the yard', with the idea of them being for sale for decorating purposes rather than to read, so they will often be sold in categories like 'color', 'patter', 'vintage' and so on, rather than by whatever the contents of the books might be, in fact looking at a site now called 'booksbymetre' they're charging £90 for half a metre of books in a specific color, there's no mention of what the books are other than their color and size dimensions.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Xela said:

It is my house art - well not literally at the moment, still waiting for father rodders to make them, the books are currently in bags and boxes :( but book decoration is my aesthetic, in the way records are for others. I dream of slowly collecting certain collections, and particular editions of books. I like the Everyman Library book styles and hope to build them up slowly. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rodders said:

I like the Everyman Library book styles and hope to build them up slowly

Me too. The Everyman catalogue is way better than the vastly overrated (and overpriced) Folio Society editions, IMO. 

20 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

I genuinely think that my quality of life has decreased since I've had a smart phone.

Endless hours just aimlessly scrolling down whereas in the past I'd have read a book or something.

I agree. I'm a lot less focussed nowadays. 

As I've mentioned on here before, my wife is Canadian, and I really enjoy the experience of seeing British culture through her eyes, and mostly the annoyance it causes. The latest thing is those Ant & Dec Santander adverts, which were greeted today with an exasperated 'not those two **** hobbits again!'

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Johnny Depp suing News Group Newspaper and the editor of The Sun.

Hope he takes 'em for every **** penny they have.

I don’t know anything about the story or the marriage, but it was hilarious what came out today. He said in court that he knew the marriage was over when he found she’d done a shit in the bed :lol: 

• Haha 3

Â