Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

5 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

As this is a discussion about Oasis and its crossed pages, oasis are shit. Carry on. 

Peak VT answer :D 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Xela said:

Excellent. At the old proper Wembley as well. 

I only saw them once live. MK Bowl Saturday July 9th 2005. Truth be told, Liam's voice was in its shit phase then. Was a good day though. Got there about 2pm, they didn't come on stage until 9pm... few decent support acts (Zutons were one). It was a scorcher of a day as well, I was as pink as a pig the next day. 

There was 4 of us, me and my mate and a couple of his mates I didn't know. We left MK at about 11pm and ended up at a late night fried chicken shop in Cheltenham at about 1am. Had some food before me and my mate were dropped off back at his place in the Herefordshire countryside about an hour later. For some reason I then drove back home... I remember seeing the signs on the motorway saying "Avoid Birmingham - major incident". This was 2 days after the July 7 London bombings so everyone was a bit edgy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4668313.stm

Nearly 15 years ago to the day... where does time go?

Back to Oasis, for people of our generation, they were massive and such a huge part of our lives.

I did the City of Manchester stadium gig of the 05 tour, it was a bit like a mini festival with Doves supporting along with The Bees and The Subways.  Might have been one other band as well.

12 hours ago, Genie said:

I was front row too both nights. I’m all over the familiar to millions DVD.

We got in line early, had a few beers on the Wembley steps. When they opened the doors ran down for prime position halfway between Noel and Liam 😎

How does one have a few beers, then hold ones place at the front of the crowd?   My bladder is my worst enemy at gigs.

• Like 1

I saw them front row in Nottingham ice rink, that was an experience, Cardiff somewhere, City of Manchester which was an incredible gig and a brum one where Liam wasn't in the mood and it was shit

Seen them both solo a fair few times, noel is more subdued, older crowd, Liam has the LAD following chucking beers and flares, saw him at OT 2 years back and it was a shit gig (horrible venue) 

Seen noth acoustic too, noel when he did Manchester vs Cancer which was amazing and then Liam at Union Chapel (brilliant venue) 

The front row thing - if you're on the barrier it's easy to stay there, if youre a couple of people back it's way more fun but you'll get moved about

This works at more or less every gig with a lively crowd - go down the flanks, wait for it to start, first couple of songs will go off, loads will push forward, around song 4 or 5 they'll be a slower one, song 6 or 7 something picks up again... Go for it... Someone jumping up and down doesn't have the balance to stop you moving past them and they're in to it by then so less pissed off by the late comers pushing forward, you can get to the front of just about every gig

16 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

How does one have a few beers, then hold ones place at the front of the crowd?   My bladder is my worst enemy at gigs.

At oasis in Nottingham a mate of mine pissed in a carrier bag :lol: not sure what was funnier him trying to do it or him trying to put it somewhere after 

53 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Amateur.

Black jeans.

• Haha 1

On 03/07/2020 at 23:29, tonyh29 said:

Never got to see Oasis live but saw  both of them live as solo artists ... both were shit

sometimes the whole is greater than the sum of the parts I guess

Erm, no. They were shit. Travis, on the other hand, were absolutely brilliant. In hindsight, we should have left after they finished. 

The only memory I have of that night is the whole of the floor of the NIA bouncing up and down during 'Why does it always rain'! 

Oasis, thanks, but no thanks 

On 04/07/2020 at 08:53, Genie said:

I’ve not seen Noel live but he seems to have much better musicians and all round production.

By a long way. Chris Sharrock as a drummer does not come cheap, possibly one of the most expensive UK session drummers going and he has him on a retainer

Also my mate Mick WInder is his guitar tech, who again is on a retainer and isn't cheap

Noel does not do things on the cheap for sure

• Like 1

On 03/07/2020 at 22:33, Genie said:

Coincidentally I listened to it through my Amazon Echo whilst I worked today.

I went to both nights of that gig. Slept in my mates car in the Wembley car park so we didn’t have to pay 2 days parking :lol: 

On 03/07/2020 at 22:47, lapal_fan said:

I am so jealous. :(

Don't be.  Just get one, a dot is only £50 and sometimes they put them on special offer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

after 4 months discipline trying to catch up on unread books ,I succumbed and bought 4 more this weekend. The smell and touch of a new book never fails to cheer me up. May also be the whisky ofc. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

after 4 months discipline trying to catch up on unread books ,I succumbed and bought 4 more this weekend. The smell and touch of a new book never fails to cheer me up. May also be the whisky ofc. 

Definitely this. Even better if you get it from a nice bookshop, rather than online. I hope there are some shops left after the pandemic. 

7 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

To this day I have never ready a book digitally.  Much prefer the real thing.

I used to be the same but read most of my books on kindle nowadays. 

I recently read two hardback books (auto biographies of Mark Lanegan and Anthony Daniels) and it took me a while to readjust holding a real book in bed. 

Other than the convenience of a kindle, I like the fact when I finish a book I can download another instantly with a huge electronic library to choose from. 

6 hours ago, theboyangel said:

I used to be the same but read most of my books on kindle nowadays. 

I recently read two hardback books (auto biographies of Mark Lanegan and Anthony Daniels) and it took me a while to readjust holding a real book in bed. 

Other than the convenience of a kindle, I like the fact when I finish a book I can download another instantly with a huge electronic library to choose from. 

Yes as I live in a smallish flat, having a Kindle is a godsend vs having to find space for or getting rid of hundreds of books.  It's also nice having a dictionary on it in case there are big words I've never heard of as well.

• Like 1

Is it just me that reads a synopsis of a book on Amazon and thinks , That sounds good , I'll buy it .

Then at some point you realise that you've already bough the book before and just never got around to reading it ...

I whack books on my phone /ipad when i go travelling , saves on a bit of room  , but other than that I prefer the printed medium

I like the real thing too. Never had a Kindle. Tried a couple on my phone before but don’t like it. 

Everyone is different I guess. Some people like real records instead of MP3’s yet that doesn’t bother me at all. 

30 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I like the real thing too. Never had a Kindle. Tried a couple on my phone before but don’t like it. 
Everyone is different I guess. Some people like real records instead of MP3’s yet that doesn’t bother me at all. 

definitely me, I feel like its human nature to collect stuff and records seem the obvious answer, I did have a huge CD collection but flogged it when I moved to Germany, I have spotify and 99% of my listening is via that but you cant beat a record collection, my wife doesn't get it, the thrill isn't pre ordering and get the latest records delivered by amazon (although I still do that) the thrill is walking in to a 2nd hand record shop with no idea what you will find, it could be 10 records it could be jack shit, you have to flick through everything and find something you want, could be something you don't even know that you want

unfortunately books never did that for me, I cant spend 2 hours in a library or Waterstones exploring for something good like I can with records, I know what book I want so I go and get it

I did take photos of my book collection before moving too, over 400 books collected over my lifetime, gave them all away, ebay is shit because of the weights and loads of them don't sell

Edited by villa4europe

Â