Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

US lottery jackpot shared after 1992 handshake

Long-time friends Joe Feeney and Tom Cook made a pact in 1992 - sealed with a handshake - that if one of them won the US Powerball lottery they would share it.

Nearly 30 years later the numbers came up for Tom - and he honoured the deal.

Joe said he was stunned when his friend called to say they were sharing the $22m (£17m) jackpot.

...more

Good stuff, Tom.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Genius, reminds me of something I once did...

Some people tried to steal my money from the Taxi, so I stored their mobile number to the location for office walk ups (who didn't use the phone to order). People used to walk up to the office to order 24/7, the night bus ended outside so especially at weekends. Their phone must have rung 300 times a day for three weeks, every time a taxi got close to the pick up point but it would only ever have rung three times per call

They ended up calling us up, begging us to stop calling them as it had got to the point where their phone was almost unusable.

I felt they were suitably punished

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I hate Newcastle FC with a passion,  1 town team that's won **** all,  very much the small heath of South Scotland.

The news their takeover fell over will keep me smiling for a few days,  Micky Quin on the radio couldn't work out why everyone wanted it to fail.  Thinks it's becasue we are jealous.

It's becasue everyone hates Newcastle except the media.  How do they not know this ?

👏 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I hate Newcastle FC with a passion,  1 town team that's won **** all,  very much the small heath of South Scotland.

The news their takeover fell over will keep me smiling for a few days,  Micky Quin on the radio couldn't work out why everyone wanted it to fail.  Thinks it's becasue we are jealous.

It's becasue everyone hates Newcastle except the media.  How do they not know this ?

👏 

I say this as a person whose entire family are from Newcastle and the entire family support Newcastle, except my brother who supports Wolves, which makes sense as he is a knuckle dragging idiot. Thats by the by, they all think everyone loves Newcastle. I **** hate the team. 

• Like 1

today was the first day I was due back in the office to help out with moving stuff around to create space for a bunch of books to be brought over ( work in a library! ) . The weather being el scorchio I wasn't looking forward to walking in ( over an hour ) in this heat. I would normally get the bus, but I've used the bus twice in lockdown, and most of the other **** don't bother with masks despite being compulsory in wales now, and the timings are annoying, the one bus that would usually get me there direct isn't running, so the alternative is to double bus and walk which is a real pain. 

saw i had an email yesterday evening, saying I don't need to come in. Excellent. Now I can spend the day avoiding the sun, then deciding actually I should enjoy it whilst it lasts, and then after 30 minutes in the backyard with a beer, feeling dehydrated unwell and sweaty, go back to remembering that I like sun, but not this much sun. 

• Like 1

Things like this piss me off

A LOYAL engineer left vac giant Dyson after 20 years — with just two pencils.

Ed D’Cruze, 65, was hired by Sir James Dyson when he set up his tech firm.

He had been discussing retirement be­fore the Covid-19 crisis but has now been let go.

Last week the company announced it was culling 600 UK members of staffand a further 300 across the globe in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.

Ed was told he was not being made redundant and getting a payout as he had set a retirement date. 

The mechanical pencils were presented to him for 15 and 20 years’ service.

Ed, of Chichester, West Sussex, said: “I’m devastated. I feel my loyalty was taken for granted.”

“I was one of the first people taken on and I’m just devastated that Dyson is treating me in this way.

“If I’m really honest I feel cheated by the whole situation, I did initially consider my retirement but then the pandemic happened and I wanted to carry on working until I decided to retire.”

Dyson said Ed had put in writing his intention to retire, adding “this was accepted and he has been working his notice”.

Ed, who worked through the pandemic, is now launching a legal battle against the tech company for unfair dismissal, and has been put on gardening leave.

A Dyson spokesman said: “Mr D’Cruze informed his line manager and our HR team more than four months ago, in writing, of his resignation and intention to retire. 

“This was accepted and he has been working through his notice period. 

“We would like to thank Mr D’Cruze for his long service at Dyson.”

This guy tells his employer in writing 4 months ago he will retire and it’s accepted. Now he wants to cancel it at the last minute so he can take a redundancy payment instead.

Tough shit mate. It’s poor form to drag your employers name through the press like this because you’re a greedy word removed.

Link

Edit: sorry for putting it in completely the wrong thread 😬

Edited by Genie

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Things like this piss me off

This guy tells his employer in writing 4 months ago he will retire and it’s accepted. Now he wants to cancel it at the last minute so he can take a redundancy payment instead.

Tough shit mate. It’s poor form to drag your employers name through the press like this because you’re a greedy word removed.

Link

When I was working at the Uni, the trick was to wait for a round of redundancies and retire at the same time. It always seemed to be HR staff who managed to pull this stunt. I decided just to go when it suited me. 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

When I was working at the Uni, the trick was to wait for a round of redundancies and retire at the same time. It always seemed to be HR staff who managed to pull this stunt. I decided just to go when it suited me. 

There was a guy who I worked with last year, put in for retirement as a senior management with close to 40 years service. Few weeks later they opened a VR scheme. Rumour has it he missed out on £100k as it was a generous scheme. He asked the question about cancelling his retirement but was told no. He took it on the chin.

It would sting a bit though!

I handed my notice in around 2 years ago at the place I worked at. 2 weeks into the month redundancies were announced. I missed out on a wedge. That is as they say, life. 

3 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

👏 

When I was at school , few of my mates who at the time supported Ipswich , Man U and Fulham  .. all suddenly switched to supporting Newcastle and even used to go to their games  whilst calling themselves part of the Geordie boot boys !!

Baffling stuff  ... but then they now all support Millwall and go to their matches so it gives you an idea of the sort of people I went to school with !

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

👏 

I liked them for a few years under Keegan. They played great football and were a breath of fresh air in the Premier League. 

After he left, they've been average at best, and thats being very kind. They treated Sir Bobby poorly as well at the end. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Genie said:

There was a guy who I worked with last year, put in for retirement as a senior management with close to 40 years service. Few weeks later they opened a VR scheme. Rumour has it he missed out on £100k as it was a generous scheme. He asked the question about cancelling his retirement but was told no. He took it on the chin.

It would sting a bit though!

Absolutely! Its just one of those things. There is no guarantee he would have got redundancy either. 

A few people at our place have missed out on significant payouts due to leaving before a batch of redundancies 

Â