Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm tempted to say Foo Fighters... 

No way, if there's one thing you can not accuse them of, it's taking themselves too seriously.

foo-fighters-learn-to-fly.jpgMV5BZjI0OTJjYWEtZjY2MS00MjhlLWI3YWMtYzVj

• Like 2

Whilst I don't have the ear for music, not being able to play it at all, or identify what works etc, and I make no claims to having any taste beyond what pleases my ears ( half the time I'm too busy with melody induced daydreaming to analyse if the lyrics are daft )  I can only say at least Foo Fighters and lesserly ( pretty sure I've made that word up ) Muse have some fun tracks, I can 'bop' along too. And I don't mind that one track by Elbow either 'One Day Like This' I think it is seems ok.  Kasabian have never released anything that's interested me, all seem rather dull. 

• Like 1

Muse sounded quite unlike many other bands they were contemporary with when they first came on the scene. Their first album got pigeonholed as Radiohead with heavier instruments, but the second and third albums binned that comparison as they became a rock band with operatic elements, prog influence, classical additions and a singer with excellent range. Those first 3 albums, and particularly the second, are standouts of British music.

They then disappeared up their own arse and chased pop recognition at the same time, which bizarrely made them loads of money but killed the band as anything particularly interesting. But in the beginning, I don't think they can just be dismissed as the same as everything else.

Elbow stand out from the pack entirely on their lyrics. Their best songs are sad modern tales of failure and lost love and lost youth. They also have knocked out a few single 'bangers' in their time. They're the perennial 'will have an awesome greatest hits album' band.

Foo Fighters are the epitome of US generic rock band. Grohl is a good bloke and talented, and they have a few good singles (particularly early on), but tonnes of their stuff you'd struggle to pick out of a bin of contemporary US rock band fare.

Kasabian started out as a reasonably good indie band with a talent at pulling out unique sounds and an eye for a single. When that barrel ran dry, combined with success and acclaim, they disappeared up their own arse and nothing of note has been shat through their collective rectum since.

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Great to see live and one of many few that can actually perform live and not sound shite.

Do they not play their own tracks live? If they do, how do they change them to achieve this metamorphisis?

A shite Oasis (yeas I know this is only remotely possible) meets Happy Mondays (without the drugs) but in a greasy spoon in Leicester. And that Serge Pizzaface makes the Gallagher and Shaun Ryder seem like shy and retiring individuals.

Soz

TL:DR they are SHITE

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, blandy said:

Muse go in the same unlistenable sh*theap as Queen for me.

yep, if there's something worse than queen, its queen wannabes

EDIT: and any guitarist that needs a roadie to change his pedals whilst playing is a charlatan

Although I grew up loving Oasis I’ve never really got Kasabian. Think I could name “shoot the runner”, “club foot” (is that the “ahhhhhh ahhhhh” song?) and maybe another if I really thought about it. That one about “we’re all wasting away”?

Muse, meh. 

Foo fighters, I think Grohl’s “hey look how much of a fun guy I am” persona puts me off if anything. 

Elbow are ok, but Doves are better.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

but Doves are better.

Ah bloody love me some Doves. A band so good I sat through Athlete for. And for those who've just been reminded about Athlete, I can only apologise profusely.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Yeah, they get a pass for Grohl being A Good Bloke. 

Musically, still somewhat overrated lumpenrock for me. 

I was a massive Foos fan in my late teens. And I maintain that their stuff up to and including One by One is very good. Everlong is still an excellent tune. 

But. But. They stopped being interesting a loooong time ago and I haven’t bought or even really bothered with anything they’ve done this decade. 

Much like REM, who turned into a right snoozefest. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Muse go in the same unlistenable sh*theap as Queen for me.

Muse is worse than Queen. They are worse than U2. Horrible, horrible, horrible band. 

• Like 1

They're playing cologne this weekend I think, missus asked me if I wanted to go, think her mates have tickets

Not a **** chance! 

Always hear "They put a good show on" with the lights and lasers etc if that's what you want in a band then fill your boots but if prefer decent music, There's something about them I can't put my finger on but they're shit 

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Kasabian are a great live and were a decent singles band, but even that's dried up recently.  I also hate it when Serge sings songs, he's got an awful voice when Tom has a pretty decent, recognisable one.

I see quite a few Kasabian fans here then..      :ph34r:

They are great Live Sharky (if they're your cup of tea) Every album they produce they aspire to be different on each one using various instruments etc. on each one and not just banging out the same repetative shite like Oasis and Foo Fighters where guilty of, Artic Monkeys also.

Serge does alot of solo stuff on the albums and in songs as he is the main guy behind it all - Some of it good, some not so.

Atleast by doing it this way he keeps it within the band and doesn't break the band by being a big headed thinking he is bigger than the band or whatever and can make it solo like many others have made the mistake of doing.

Killers for example; great band but Brandon Flowers was not so hot when he tried going solo for a while.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

5 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Well beyond. They argued for a couple of years they should headline Glastonbury based on nothing more than they deserve it. They make lumpen dad rock aimed at people who like Oasis but they believe they make intricate symphonic riddles that tax the mind. 

To be fair to them They should...kasabian have proved they can pull off a festival headliner slot with ease, their problem is they have a set list in them for a big show but their albums are 50% filler

And if you slate kasabian for saying they should headline Glasto you should look at who is actually headlining it this year, killers (living off one album for years now) stormzy (who only has albums worth of material to headline with) and the cure (who haven't released an album in 11 years or had a decent song in 40)

I'd see kasabian over them 3 any day of the week

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

Much like REM, who turned into a right snoozefest. 

Absolutely this. Truly great band for the first 4 or 5 albums, then flatlined artistically (while being commercially huge). 

15 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I see quite a few Kasabian fans here then..      :ph34r:

They are great Live Sharky (if they're your cup of tea) Every album they produce they aspire to be different on each one using various instruments etc. on each one and not just banging out the same repetative shite like Oasis and Foo Fighters where guilty of, Artic Monkeys also.

Serge does alot of solo stuff on the albums and in songs as he is the main guy behind it all - Some of it good, some not so.

Atleast by doing it this way he keeps it within the band and doesn't break the band by being a big headed thinking he is bigger than the band or whatever and can make it solo like many others have made the mistake of doing.

Killers for example; great band but Brandon Flowers was not so hot when he tried going solo for a while.

If you think arctic monkeys bang out the same shit I don't think you listen to the same arctic monkeys as me

And interestingly I think serge released his 1st solo project material about a week ago :lol: edit - single called favourites, announced an album called SLP and a 3 date European tour in September this morning 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Absolutely this. Truly great band for the first 4 or 5 albums, then flatlined artistically (while being commercially huge). 

I’d go further than 4-5, though. Automatic is an excellent album. 

Â