Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

There and avert for that new movie called "Yesterday" that's doing the rounds on loads of the podcasts I listen to at the moment.

There's a soundbite from Danny Boyle (I think) in it where he says "A world without the Beatles would be an infinitely worse place" (or something like that)

Every time I hear it I chuckle to myself at how much it would piss @bickster off

• Haha 2

Driving along a country road and a magnificent song comes on the radio - Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd in this case. 

I turned it up to 11 and was mentally air guitaring (while obeying the highway code)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

There and avert for that new movie called "Yesterday" that's doing the rounds on loads of the podcasts I listen to at the moment.

There's a soundbite from Danny Boyle (I think) in it where he says "A world without the Beatles would be an infinitely worse place" (or something like that)

Every time I hear it I chuckle to myself at how much it would piss @bickster off

Mr Wardle pointed this movie out to me some time ago, he's yet to be forgiven for his crimes (and boy is that advert pissing me off on Twitter)

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

Mr Wardle pointed this movie out to me some time ago, he's yet to be forgiven for his crimes (and boy is that advert pissing me off on Twitter)

Bicks, if you were in the lead character’s position, would you happily claim credit and wealth for the songs, knowing that you’d also live in the knowledge that it was you that inflicted on the world the songs from a band you hate?

Or would you pass up the chance to make millions if it meant you’d never hear a single note of a Beatles song again?

Part of me really thinks you’d turn the opportunity down :D

Edited by Shropshire Lad

1 minute ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Part of me really thinks you’d turn the opportunity down :D

I'd like to think so to but being as any singing I'm likely to do would sound like Frank Sidebottom with a very sore throat,... I doubt it would be possible for me anyway

• Haha 3

Just now, bickster said:

I'd like to think so to but being as any singing I'm likely to do would sound like Frank Sidebottom with a very sore throat,... I doubt it would be possible for me anyway

Let’s say you don’t have to sing them, you’re Gerry Goffin or Hal David or someone like that. People love the song “With a little help from my friends” and they all know it was Bickster who wrote it and countless other hits.

4 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Let’s say you don’t have to sing them, you’re Gerry Goffin or Hal David or someone like that. People love the song “With a little help from my friends” and they all know it was Bickster who wrote it and countless other hits.

Fame really has never interested me, especially now in the social media age. Walking down the street and being bothered by strangers. No thanks. 

• Like 1

Just now, bickster said:

Fame really has never interested me, especially now in the social media age. Walking down the street and being bothered by strangers. No thanks. 

I wasn’t really meaning fame, more knowing it was you who was responsible (in this hypothetical situation). I would guess that Bernie Taupin can walk down the street without being bothered relatively easily. But loads of people know his name and his musical contribution.

2 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I wasn’t really meaning fame, more knowing it was you who was responsible (in this hypothetical situation). I would guess that Bernie Taupin can walk down the street without being bothered relatively easily. But loads of people know his name and his musical contribution.

Still wouldn't be arsed tbh

On 22/06/2019 at 01:00, HanoiVillan said:

Am in Frome for a cousin's wedding.

Keep finding myself back in Frome on ten year cycles.

First full time job was between Frome and London. Then a couple of girls from Glastonbury production got a place there, we had a right old laugh that year. Most recently two of my closest friends moved to one of the nearby villages a few years ago.

Frome Fact - It had the highest divorce rate in the UK for a spell.

It's changed a bit. Lots of remote workers on good money moved in and house prices rocketed. Then they got a state Steiner school and some proper oddballs ('good' and 'bad') arrived.

It's sort of Glastonbury Town Lite these days.

Amy Garcia on BBC Yorkshire local news: 

"It's all about steady rhythm, long slow strokes and not peaking too soon". 

She was, of course, talking about dragon boat racing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Xann said:

Keep finding myself back in Frome on ten year cycles.

First full time job was between Frome and London. Then a couple of girls from Glastonbury production got a place there, we had a right old laugh that year. Most recently two of my closest friends moved to one of the nearby villages a few years ago.

Frome Fact - It had the highest divorce rate in the UK for a spell.

It's changed a bit. Lots of remote workers on good money moved in and house prices rocketed. Then they got a state Steiner school and some proper oddballs ('good' and 'bad') arrived.

It's sort of Glastonbury Town Lite these days.

Last time I was in Frome, I was at a party that was so shit I didn't drink much, waited until I was under the limit and drove as far away as possible, slept for a few hours in the car and carried on home (Must be 20+ years ago)

I've not been back, though I nearly did the other week when I was trying to find accomodation near Bath for another party

I think it scarred me mentally

14 hours ago, bickster said:

I think it scarred me mentally

We had a couple of studios, the light show and half our crew that way. 

We didn't venture into the town that much. The night out was the UFO Club at Longleat, hosted by the Marquis of Bath.

fbfc817b-6f08-4273-b92d-5f607690e7c0.thumb.jpg.0af1ef9eb5c490ae8117942ffbdbf1fb.jpg

It was a total contrast to our nights out in London.

It had the four on the floor and the pharmaceuticals, but was amazingly good natured. None of the manically intense whistle posse shit. I don't remember any fights or bouncers being problematical either.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mjmooney said:

OK, I'm pretty sure she's doing this for a bet. Tonight's programme: 

Male co-presenter (after a feature on building steam locomotives): "He's always happy when he's around old boilers". 

Amy: "Especially when he's been inside one". 

• Haha 2

On 24/06/2019 at 18:56, mjmooney said:

From what I see, I bet she's dirtier than a pig farmers wellies

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â