Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Sometimes you forget how lovely parts of the UK are when you live in a city

Maps sent me cross-country from Brighton to Sunningdale on Saturday because the M25 was broke. Literally every village I drove through was picture postcard beautiful. The three mile stretch through a constant canopy of trees was stunning. Wish I'd paid more attention to the route so I can go back and do it in a more leisurely style. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xela said:

Back from my North Norfolk break. What a wonderful part of the country. Very much enjoyed it.

Sometimes you forget how lovely parts of the UK are when you live in a city,  the majority of which in the UK are horrible places to reside but a necessary evil for work. 

I was driving around Dartmoor today.

Reassuringly bleak.

D9cWeqAWkAcNkid.jpg

if there's such a thing as heavy drizzle, that's what it was, all day

• Like 2

4 hours ago, choffer said:

Maps sent me cross-country from Brighton to Sunningdale on Saturday because the M25 was broke. Literally every village I drove through was picture postcard beautiful. The three mile stretch through a constant canopy of trees was stunning. Wish I'd paid more attention to the route so I can go back and do it in a more leisurely style. 

Similar to me a number of years back. Coming back from Egham, the motorways were broke so it took me cross country until I rejoined the motorway near Banbury. Some stunning places along the way, the majority of which I can't remember what they were called!

Some of the villages in Norfolk... red phone boxes, village green, stalls at the end of peoples drives selling eggs and strawberries etc with honesty boxes there to put the money in. Lovely stuff! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Xela said:

Back from my North Norfolk break. What a wonderful part of the country. Very much enjoyed it.

Sometimes you forget how lovely parts of the UK are when you live in a city,  the majority of which in the UK are horrible places to reside but a necessary evil for work. 

Go to any graveyards ?

2 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Go to any graveyards ?

Ha, no, but when going through some of the villages that had a churches, I did think @chrisp65 would be in his element. 

I did have a look at 3 windmills though :blush:

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Xela said:

Ha, no, but when going through some of the villages that had a churches, I did think @chrisp65 would be in his element. 

I did have a look at 3 windmills though :blush:

It’s all those old episodes of Jonathan Creek you’ve been watching mate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

It pains me that Norfolk is so bloody far away. Love the County. Always have. 

Its a bloody pain of a journey.... A14 then A47. Most of the A47 is single carriageway and lost count of the amount of times I was stuck behind lorries doing 35 on a national speed limit road!

I think it was you who suggested Norfolk the other day, so cheers for that. 

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

It’s all those old episodes of Jonathan Creek you’ve been watching mate.

May have to invest in a duffle coat now!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Xela said:

Great little part of the world Alex.

What part did you go mate?

7 hours ago, Xela said:

Some of the villages in Norfolk... red phone boxes, village green, stalls at the end of peoples drives selling eggs and strawberries etc with honesty boxes there to put the money in. Lovely stuff! 

If you travel towards Brancaster & Well's from Hunstanton direction there is also a classic and very old AA phone box in one of the laybys. Also some great little village pubs along the coastline stretch.

It's a different way of life down there for sure.

I was living there over a year ago or so and intend to move back down there within the next couple of years, if all goes to plan. Like you say, it's so different compared to diff parts of UK.

Going for a walk in the mornings.. everyone always happy and wishing you a good morning etc. It's all very chilled and relaxed.

5 hours ago, Xela said:

Its a bloody pain of a journey.... A14 then A47. Most of the A47 is single carriageway and lost count of the amount of times I was stuck behind lorries doing 35 on a national speed limit road!

I think it was you who suggested Norfolk the other day, so cheers for that. 

You're not wrong.

Not sure where you would join the A47 from A14 as I've never taken that route myself.

Where I am based currently, I enter the A47 at Peterborough, a few duel carriageways until you hit Wisbeach then yeah it is very much single file the rest of the way there nearly just before you hit that big roundabout at Kings Lynn.

The fun begins when you slip onto the A149 if you're unlucky get caught up in with the holiday makers and caravans etc. Can be a **** once caught in that in peak season.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Great little part of the world Alex.

What part did you go mate?

If you travel towards Brancaster & Well's from Hunstanton direction there is also a classic and very old AA phone box in one of the laybys. Also some great little village pubs along the coastline stretch.

It's a different way of life down there for sure.

I was living there over a year ago or so and intend to move back down there within the next couple of years, if all goes to plan. Like you say, it's so different compared to diff parts of UK.

Going for a walk in the mornings.. everyone always happy and wishing you a good morning etc. It's all very chilled and relaxed.

I stopped one night in Brancaster (Ship Hotel) and one night in Thornham (Lifeboat Inn). 

Had a good drive and various stops along the coastal road.... had lunch at the Red Lion in Stiffkey and had a ganders around Cley as well, mainly the fantastic windmill! A stroll along Brancaster beach as well. 

Everyone seems so much more friendlier... there is no aggressive driving or impatience. People just seem to be happy to potter along at their own pace. 

Whereabouts did you live mate?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

I stopped one night in Brancaster (Ship Hotel) and one night in Thornham (Lifeboat Inn). 

Had a good drive and various stops along the coastal road.... had lunch at the Red Lion in Stiffkey and had a ganders around Cley as well, mainly the fantastic windmill! A stroll along Brancaster beach as well. 

Everyone seems so much more friendlier... there is no aggressive driving or impatience. People just seem to be happy to potter along at their own pace. 

Whereabouts did you live mate?

I was not to far round from Thornham, I was based in Heacham at the time.

I still have alot of friends and contacts down there and still do bits of work down that way too.

Brancaster beach is beautiful. Both locations you stayed also very nice places and been in them a few times in the past.

Thornham Deli also a nice stop off for picking your own fresh veg etc. If you gave that a visit?

Next time you're that way chap give Holkham beach a visit in the harbour town of Wells. Cracking little setting. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Norfolk is nice, we're overdue another trip there. But it's not a place I could live for any length of time - too flat. I need hills. 

Yeah,  it must be tough.  😃

It's like the alps here.

It is weird though living where there are not even any hills to speak off let alone mountains.  Nothing.  Bit like Norfolk I suppose,  water everywhere.

Â