Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

3 hours ago, Tegis said:

That one of the Nobel laureates in Chemistry this year is called John B. Goodenough.

His resume of achievements is......solid to say the least.

His best achievement is  winning it at 97 years old.😮

• Like 1

got a dodgy looking paypal email come through but slightly more on the plausibility scale so I decided to log in to my paypal account just in case. Didn't think I had anything in there, and found £40. Marvellous!

1 hour ago, choffer said:

Seeing someone barrelling through the station, puffing and blowing in a desperate attempt to get on the train before it departs, only to see them fail by a second. Never fails to raise a smile. 

the old days at Waterloo with slam doors were great , used to be like a re-enactment of Von Ryans express as I chased the train down the platform  , but nowadays I never run for trains for exactly that reason ,I'd rather miss the thing than risk someone somewhere giving me a " Ha Ha"   to themself 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

the old days at Waterloo with slam doors were great , used to be like a re-enactment of Von Ryans express as I chased the train down the platform  , but nowadays I never run for trains for exactly that reason ,I'd rather miss the thing than risk someone somewhere giving me a " Ha Ha"   to themself 

It’s the mindset that baffles me. Seeing people sprinting like a loon or (with the strike on at the moment) forcing themselves into an already full train just makes no sense to me. There’s another one in a maximum of 15 minutes. Preserve your dignity and give it a minute. You’ll probably even get a seat. 

34 minutes ago, choffer said:

It’s the mindset that baffles me. Seeing people sprinting like a loon or (with the strike on at the moment) forcing themselves into an already full train just makes no sense to me. There’s another one in a maximum of 15 minutes. Preserve your dignity and give it a minute. You’ll probably even get a seat. 

Hmmmm, or you live somewhere where the trains are one an hour, if they turn up, and the next train is an extra £100.

2 hours ago, choffer said:

Seeing someone barrelling through the station, puffing and blowing in a desperate attempt to get on the train before it departs, only to see them fail by a second. Never fails to raise a smile. 

Definitely this, watching people running while wearing a suit is one of my favourite things.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Hmmmm, or you live somewhere where the trains are one an hour, if they turn up, and the next train is an extra £100.

Yeah. I did think that when I was typing it but these are local trains. There isn’t a station on that trains journey where you’d have to wait more than 15 minutes for an alternative, even during the strikes. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, choffer said:

Yeah. I did think that when I was typing it but these are local trains. There isn’t a station on that trains journey where you’d have to wait more than 15 minutes for an alternative, even during the strikes. 

I’m commuting Cardiff to Croydon a couple of days a week, three trains and two tubes, cost depending on time varies between £90 and £250.

The last time I ran was the last time I was using my own money. Once I got a company card, **** it, I’ll catch the next one. Another thing I’ve learnt, its an extra £60 to sit in 1st class, but anyone can have breakfast in 1st class for £18. No seat in pleb class? No problem I’ll buy a breakfast in 1st class and take 2 hours to eat scrambled egg on toast.

All hail the company card! I’ve stopped running and started eating breakfast. On the down side, I’m the size of a house.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, choffer said:

Back in the 80s, when I was commuting by train from Leeds to Bradford (in the days of the old slam doors), I was on one that was accelerating out of the station as some bloke in a suit sprinted like a madman after it, pulled the door open and bodily hurled himself sprawling inside. Dusting himself off, he smirked triumphantly at the rest of the carriage, clearly very proud of his achievement. Some member of the train staff must have got on the radio, because when we got to Bradford, two uniformed British Transport Police got on board and arrested him. 

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Back in the 80s, when I was commuting by train from Leeds to Bradford (in the days of the old slam doors), I was on one that was accelerating out of the station as some bloke in a suit sprinted like a madman after it, pulled the door open and bodily hurled himself sprawling inside. Dusting himself off, he smirked triumphantly at the rest of the carriage, clearly very proud of his achievement. Some member of the train staff must have got on the radio, because when we got to Bradford, two uniformed British Transport Police got on board and arrested him. 

Reminded me of a flight I was on about 10 years ago. On the approach to land a guy gets his phone out and turns it on. The steward who was sat near asked him to turn it off, guy says no. Steward reminds him again its an offense, guy says no. We land and message over the PA tells everybody to remain seated for a few minutes. 3 heavily armed police officers board and take him away. I hope he learned something that day.

• Like 3

On 11/12/2019 at 16:47, choffer said:

3j94ga.jpg

• Haha 2

Â