Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

4 hours ago, choffer said:

I know that the beeb (rightly) cops a lot of flak but this got me right in the feels this morning.

Who's been peeling the onions by me! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, choffer said:

I know that the beeb (rightly) cops a lot of flak but this got me right in the feels this morning.

Yeah, that caught me off guard when watching it earlier. It’s beautiful but so sad at the same time. It’s only been fairly recently I’ve realised how awful loneliness must be.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Genie said:

Reminded me of a flight I was on about 10 years ago. On the approach to land a guy gets his phone out and turns it on. The steward who was sat near asked him to turn it off, guy says no. Steward reminds him again its an offense, guy says no. We land and message over the PA tells everybody to remain seated for a few minutes. 3 heavily armed police officers board and take him away. I hope he learned something that day.

He was shot? Omg RIP

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Yeah, that caught me off guard when watching it earlier. It’s beautiful but so sad at the same time. It’s only been fairly recently I’ve realised how awful loneliness must be.

U OK hun?

• Like 1

This is really quite infantile I suppose, but reading books from the past, when euphemistic words meant completely different things. Example this innocent description from Cora Sandel describing the protagonist spotting her mother exiting a jeweler / pawn shop.

"She looked about her for a moment, up and down the street. Without noticing Alberta she gathered up her skirt, and went down the steps, holding her muff out a little with one hand, as was her habit."

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Today it was Deutsche Bahn

We had most trains out of Paddington cancelled, delayed or only running part of the route.

Two weekends to Christmas and the trains can’t run due to shortages of staff, shortages of train stock, and the forecast of stormy weather.

This means that tomorrow all the trains will be in the wrong place. Of course, GWR won’t spot this until tomorrow morning.

Watching a bit of that His Dark Materials with my nipper.

The scene currently on, girl talking to bear in big hall, my nipper watched that being filmed, whilst on some work experience!

I did a week in an office down the docks on work experience.

• Like 1

When homeless people and other undesirable types take an interest in me beyond what they can acquire, and tell me I'm a good man, or compliment something I've done.

Then, and only then, do I believe momentarily with some certainty that there's meaning and purpose to be found in life, and that I have some partial understanding for what it can be.

The fact I can attract their attention away from hardship and whatever other turmoil they endure to recognise and articulate an appreciation for something we can share, says a lot.

A single parent friend of mine is taking her 3 year old daughter to volunteer with the homeless this Christmas Day, I will accompany them and we'll hopefully make someone's day.

But the fact that this single mother, who has her doubts and insecurities about life, has the heart and principles of kindness and generosity regardless of her fears, warms me.

Add to that she has the courage and bravery to take her young daughter for the experience and it becomes apparent to me I have had a limited view of what constitutes greatness.

• Like 1

On 15/12/2019 at 21:31, chrisp65 said:

Watching a bit of that His Dark Materials with my nipper.

The scene currently on, girl talking to bear in big hall, my nipper watched that being filmed, whilst on some work experience!

I did a week in an office down the docks on work experience.

Docks you say

59a98fea4165faf6f7f3443a8332bc6c--blackadder-quotes-the-pillow.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Â