Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

3 hours ago, Tegis said:

Connecting to a Video-conference with another company that's taking over one of our customers. The lead tech at the company taking over, not knowing he is already connected says: Right lets call those dumbasses at "our company". Three seconds later he hung up. Awkward silence.

There will be words spoken at upper management and someone is getting an earful. :lol:

I had a call with a supplier the other day where, when he thought he was on mute, he said "I'm taking these guys to the cleaners on the price"

Can't wait to bring that up when the cost negotiation stalls.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yesterday at Villa Park, about 3 or 4 minutes in, El Ghazi mis-controlled a hoof up to him and turned over possession.  We were actually playing ok at that point, but the 3 chaps in front of me started with the old "HE'S **** SHIT, GET HIM OFFFFFFF!", crying over nothing thing.  My mate said "Give him a chance eh?" quite generally, not aimed at the person, but for the next 10 minutes until they scored every time something went wrong, the thickest of the 3 shouted "It's ok! Give him a chance", usually with a muttering of something under his breath. 

Then obviously they scored and they turned around and started mouthing off. 

I mentioned that we're playing City and then the thickest of the 3 gave me the "Well I've never seen you before, so you can't know what's going on" (my mate is a season ticket holder :lol: )  I'm not, thankfully :lol:  

So I just said "if we're playing the better fan game, I'll leave you to it". 

They left after 40 minutes and the whole atmosphere was improved.

But after hundred of games at VP, I've never had the "I'm a better fan than you" comment :D 

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Yesterday at Villa Park, about 3 or 4 minutes in, El Ghazi mis-controlled a hoof up to him and turned over possession.  We were actually playing ok at that point, but the 3 chaps in front of me started with the old "HE'S **** SHIT, GET HIM OFFFFFFF!", crying over nothing thing.  My mate said "Give him a chance eh?" quite generally, not aimed at the person, but for the next 10 minutes until they scored every time something went wrong, the thickest of the 3 shouted "It's ok! Give him a chance", usually with a muttering of something under his breath. 

Then obviously they scored and they turned around and started mouthing off. 

I mentioned that we're playing City and then the thickest of the 3 gave me the "Well I've never seen you before, so you can't know what's going on" (my mate is a season ticket holder :lol: )  I'm not, thankfully :lol:  

So I just said "if we're playing the better fan game, I'll leave you to it". 

They left after 40 minutes and the whole atmosphere was improved.

But after hundred of games at VP, I've never had the "I'm a better fan than you" comment :D 

Sounds like the guys I used to sit next to when I had a ST. Group of about 5 or 6 (it varied). Literally one of the biggest factors to me not renewing.

I don't understand why people like that even go to games. They can't enjoy it. They would literally spend 90 minutes moaning. Regardless of the score and how we were playing, they'd only focus on the negatives.
And I don't just mean they'd be a bit miffed. They'd be literally red faced with rage.

I don't get it. Do something else with your afternoon. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Sounds like the guys I used to sit next to when I had a ST. Group of about 5 or 6 (it varied). Literally one of the biggest factors to me not renewing.

I don't understand why people like that even go to games. They can't enjoy it. They would literally spend 90 minutes moaning. Regardless of the score and how we were playing, they'd only focus on the negatives.
And I don't just mean they'd be a bit miffed. They'd be literally red faced with rage.

I don't get it. Do something else with your afternoon. 

Yup exactamundo brosif.  If you're choosing to spend a few hundred quid a year to go and watch Villa, don't expect us to win every game, don't expect us to play well every game - otherwise you're very thick. 

To be honest it appeared like they didn't even like football, they just are Villa fans with nothing else to do in their lives.  The gobby, skinny one was carrying the McCains chip factory on his shoulder, whilst saying "WOT?" every time he said something and I replied, so I had to tell him to "listen more" :lol:  

But yea, lots of thicko's yesterday, glad I don't go up much anymore, and if I did, I'd be in Trinity or Ellis where the thickos don't really go. 

3 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Yup exactamundo brosif.  If you're choosing to spend a few hundred quid a year to go and watch Villa, don't expect us to win every game, don't expect us to play well every game - otherwise you're very thick. 

To be honest it appeared like they didn't even like football, they just are Villa fans with nothing else to do in their lives.  The gobby, skinny one was carrying the McCains chip factory on his shoulder, whilst saying "WOT?" every time he said something and I replied, so I had to tell him to "listen more" :lol:  

But yea, lots of thicko's yesterday, glad I don't go up much anymore, and if I did, I'd be in Trinity or Ellis where the thickos don't really go. 

This is the main reason i am an armchair fan now, paying my sky and BT subs.

Too many pissed/coked up gammons in packs of 4 or 5 confronting you if you dare say something (or sumfink) their tiny brains can't process, so they gob off or offer you out (never one on one, mainly when they got the rest of their zombie gang backing them up).

• Like 3

yeah I stopped going 9/10 years ago. Surrounded by too many hysterically angry morons, who are variously racist, homophobic or just abusive. Constantly. Was such a depressing place to be, and I'd hate it when I got caught up in that, and I thought I'm 23,24 being encouraged to shout "**** hell, useless pr**k" etc. Then you see people who must have spent decades of their lives doing this, and I've had no desire to go back since. If I could go back and undo an attachment to football in general I probably would tbf. Sport seems to attract the worst / bring out the worst in people.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Rodders said:

yeah I stopped going 9/10 years ago. Surrounded by too many hysterically angry morons, who are variously racist, homophobic or just abusive. Constantly. Was such a depressing place to be, and I'd hate it when I got caught up in that, and I thought I'm 23,24 being encouraged to shout "**** hell, useless pr**k" etc. Then you see people who must have spent decades of their lives doing this, and I've had no desire to go back since. If I could go back and undo an attachment to football in general I probably would tbf. Sport seems to attract the worst / bring out the worst in people.

I still love football but I definitely don't love a lot of the people who also love football. And I dislike a lot of the culture around it.

Bit of a weird thing to say on a football forum but it's true.

• Like 2

I don't miss going down to the Villa. Barely missed a home game from 1990 to about 2002. Then just started going less and less. Now if I see one game a season, that's it. 

32 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Bit of a kit clash, there. 

Similar happened to my local team Horsham a few years ago, my Dad as secretary got interviewed on Talkshite about it and he got very pissed off that they were laughing at him explaining there's a difference between amber and yellow.  He still gets very grumpy if we bring it up in conversation.

7 hours ago, mottaloo said:

This is the main reason i am an armchair fan now, paying my sky and BT subs.

Too many pissed/coked up gammons in packs of 4 or 5 confronting you if you dare say something (or sumfink) their tiny brains can't process, so they gob off or offer you out (never one on one, mainly when they got the rest of their zombie gang backing them up).

A lot of it is people drinking and doing too much sniff before the game and then crashing during the match because they can’t reload for 45 mins.

Top tip: if you’re about to spend 90 minutes in a heavily policed, enclosed space without access to alcohol, where you may be about to witness a footballing horror show, don’t go in there ****ed off your face and expect to have a good time! 

• Like 1

I think you've got to go in with the right mindset to games like City or Liverpool at home. We're almost certain to lose, and very likely to play badly, so you need to be someone who can accept that, and find some value in the quality of the opposition's play, or else you're just going to end up pissed off and shouting.

I know I can't do it, so I don't go to those games. In fact I haven't been all season, but I went a dozen or more times last year and if we get relegated I'll do the same again. Maybe that's sad, but I view it as knowing what I can stand without being an arsehole.

• Like 1

On 13/01/2020 at 17:51, Xela said:

I don't miss going down to the Villa. Barely missed a home game from 1990 to about 2002. Then just started going less and less. Now if I see one game a season, that's it. 

Ironically going down the Villa is a thing that cheers me up. I'm lucky as I have a good group around me in the Lower Holte, where it is a lot more 'sane' but retaining most of the atmosphere. I've got a couple of regular stewards I get on with, the beer is always shite but it's alcoholic, I love the sights, smells and sounds. Win, lose or draw, pretty much. 

It's a shame that there are idiots who ruin it for everyone around them, I rarely get angry now. Mostly just laugh at them and do my own thing. It's all part of the match day experience, for me. 

• Like 2

Â