Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Controversial but I don't think he or baker are good enough and I'd love a new cb

I agree, neither are that good.

I can't help but think that Clark went up in a lot of peoples opinions for 'that' tackle but personally I'm still not convinced by him and I don't think he really improved all that much last season.

We could and should do better because his lapses of concentration will cost us goals again this season.

I wouldn't sell him for £2m but I'd take £5m and half their hand with it.

I can't speak for anyone else, but not all of us care so much about that tackle.

I think Clark has improved markedly, and he definitely grows with responsibility, just like Shropshire Lad said. I regard that as a very promising feature. Basically everything SL said is correct, except that I knew Tonev was shit the first moment I lay my eyes on him, and it'll never change.

Clark will still have his poor moments, and we all would like to get in better guys (I actually think we need another strong CB, one that's good in the air). However, I don't think Clark is the weak link in our defense, and I wouldn't sell him. Let's see if he can still improve. But to do that, he needs to feel he's counted on.

Edited by AVTuco

Clark was excellent last season and I would be against him leaving. At 25 he for a defender he is yet to reach his peak and is definitively worth keeping at least as backup for the starting XI. If he wasn't playing last season we would have got relegated as no other centre half really pulled their weight due to injuries and/or loss of form.

Something that I have always thought about Clark is he has excellent positioning when it comes to defending crosses. He always picks up good areas to cut the danger out and last season he added to the other areas of his game. Best centre-back we have for me. 

I have never been a huge Clark fan, but last season he was superb and by far the best defender at the club.

I don't know if he can maintain that form, but now is not the time to sell what appears to be the best defender we have on last seasons form having offloaded our best midfielder and striker.

He and Okore was our best partnership and i think that will be the case again when Okore is fit, unless we make more signings.

£5million for one of the Chuckle Brothers - if true I'd snap their hand off. Appreciate others rate him but he's only got a year left on his contract.

Also think Pulis might make a decent defender out of him

This time last season I would have agreed but Clark was very good last season so I'd prefer him to sign a new contract.

The problem with playing Clark and Baker together is that they are both left sided player, just as playing 2 right sided players Okore and Vlaar didn't work out.

That said if he doesn't want to sign then sell but not for less than 5m.

with young centre backs, you should be looking to sell them when they are decline... Ciaran and Nathan baker are both still getting better (and in my opinion substantially so)....

people on here are constantly bitching that we sold gary cahill for buttons before he reached his prime and he went on to great things and yet they are baying for Ciaran and Nathan b to be sold for buttons....

as an aside, I first met Ciaran and watched him play six or seven years ago in hong kong at the soccer sevens in a team of marc albrighton, barry bannan, harry forrester, zoltan steiber and a couple of others.... many of these were being hyped as the next big thing back then, but every single player in that squad looked to Ciaran on the pitch as the captain and leader of the team... it is no surprise to me that he is the last man standing of that group and I think that he will be a fine captain of villa in the not-too distant future.

I also note that Nathan did not come to hong kong until several years later, so I always remind myself that we are not comparing like with like in terms of development - Nathan b should be compared to Ciaran of say 18-24 months earlier in terms of development....

i'd keep both as part of a centre back unit, all of whom can play at premier league level.

• Like 4

We're mugs if we sell Clark off the back of last season. He's out best defender.

Honestly, I feel pretty comfortable now that if we DO sell him it won't be through being mugged. It would tell me were prepared to bring a better player in, I trust the set up we have at the moment.

Â