Barry Bannan

villianusa

It's all in the coaching. I'm sure with some proper coaching at first team level he'll learn when to keep it simple, and become more effective. He has the quality, that much is apparent.

I really don't think it is apparent personally.

It's all in the coaching. I'm sure with some proper coaching at first team level he'll learn when to keep it simple, and become more effective. He has the quality, that much is apparent.

Have to agree, he can pass and that's it simply not good enough for this level. there's a reason why he didn't get into the leeds and blackpool team often

Depends what you're looking for doesn't it? - (to me) he's clearly got plenty of ability and vision and so on, and I imagine most people see the same. What is less apparent is the invisible stuff - the dedication (crashing cars in the small hours, while under the influence wouldn't be seen as an example of dedication to his career). It's the on and off field willingness to do the right thing that may be in question, perhaps?

Depends what you're looking for doesn't it? - (to me) he's clearly got plenty of ability and vision and so on, and I imagine most people see the same. What is less apparent is the invisible stuff - the dedication (crashing cars in the small hours, while under the influence wouldn't be seen as an example of dedication to his career). It's the on and off field willingness to do the right thing that may be in question, perhaps?

I just don't see anything to be excited about in him.

I question how much ability he actually has because of how frequently he gives the ball away and how little he actually creates which is very little. Granted that could be in part due to the players around him but I don't personally think so.

He hits the odd eye catching pass and for me that is about it, he gives the ball away and he is incapable of winning it back.

Then there is the off field stuff which to me marks him out as being more of a Lee Hendrie than a Gareth Barry.

I just don't see anything to be excited about or to make me think there is a talent there beyond the level of performances he has produced so far which haven't really impressed me.

the thing with bannan is that he offers something no one else in the squad does(with the exception of ireland perhaps) . A killer pass, which he can do from both short and long range. I remember earlier against arsenal in the fa cup he came on and within minutes had split open the defence with two delightful balls and just gave the defenders a new thing to think about. He's a decent player but i think people are just frustrated because he could be great.

The main attribute i liked about him was that he wanted the ball, while most players would shirk the chance to recieve it. But he didn't get much chance to get possession once Eck came in, think that's why we saw an increase in hollywood passes, simply because he was trying to prove he could play through the middle, only problem is, Eck didn't want those attributes in a centre midfielder, he wanted athleticism and tackling.

Hes a billy big time with a shit attitude and its turning me against him.

He is living my dream - villa and scotland.

But i know for a fact the night before he is dur to fly to florida with scotland hes out on the town bevying, takes birds back to his hotel, stays up all night (as u would i suppose :-)) then gets a taxi to the airport in the morning to meet up with the squad.

Pish attitude for a professional and international footballer and last nights result made it even more ridiculous and annoying.

Get shot of. Billy big time. Thinks hes made it already. Piss off son

But i know for a fact the night before he is dur to fly to florida with scotland hes out on the town bevying, takes birds back to his hotel, stays up all night (as u would i suppose :-)) then gets a taxi to the airport in the morning to meet up with the squad.

Pish attitude for a professional and international footballer and last nights result made it even more ridiculous and annoying.

That's a disgrace, if true.

The night before representing his country and all he wants to do is beer it up and get his little midget pecker sucked!

**** him off to League 2 because he hasn't got the professionalism nor the required ability to make it as a player in the higher tiers.

So he didn't miss training? He didn't miss a match? He met up with the squad at the correct time when they are due for a long haul flight? Was he bevvied up the night before a game? Don't really see that he has done anythiong wrong too be honest.

The night before representing his country and all he wants to do is beer it up and get his little midget pecker sucked

night before he gets a long haul flight to Florida. doubt be much training going on

He was absolute shite for Scotland early this morning, kept giving the ball away, granted he seemed to be playing in a holding role which is strange and not exactly natural for him, just can't see him ever making it at Villa anymore, did bugger all this season apart from score a penalty.

He was absolute shite for Scotland early this morning, kept giving the ball away, granted he seemed to be playing in a holding role which is strange and not exactly natural for him, just can't see him ever making it at Villa anymore, did bugger all this season apart from score a penalty.

And he apologised for his performance afterwards on twitter. Seems to be a pretty common occurrence really.

I was excited by him when he was coming through the ranks but he is quickly going down in my opinion with his performances and reports about his attitude. I'd still like him to get another chance next season under an attack-minded manager though.

• 4 weeks later...

Aston Villa: Barry Bannan vows to fight for his Villa future

BARRY Bannan admits it is a “make-or-break” season for his Villa career as he strives to become a first-team regular under Paul Lambert.

Bannan started ten Premier League matches and two cup ties and made 20 substitute appearances in all competitions during the 2011-12 campaign.

But with the Scottish midfielder now aged 22, he feels he must become one of the “main players” if he is to have a future in claret and blue.

“It’s probably make or break for me this season if I’m being honest,” said Bannan. “It’s a big, big season. I’m 22 now and I’ve got to be playing so hopefully I can have a strong pre-season and show the gaffer what I’m about.

“My aim this season is to be one of the main players in this team.”

Bannan, who came through the ranks at the Bodymoor Heath academy after joining Villa at 14, has two years remaining on his contract.

And he knows that three-and-a-half years after his debut for the club the time has come to add to his total of 27 starts and 27 substitute cameos.

“I definitely think there’s a lot more to come from me and I haven’t fulfilled my potential just yet,” he said.

“I think I’ve shown it in flashes but not quite enough over a period of time.

“It’s hard, especially last season as well when we weren’t really winning games. It’s tough for us.

“But hopefully this season with the new gaffer we’ll start winning games and hopefully I can be a big part of that team.

“I’ve got two more years left, so I’ve still got plenty of time. But I want to be one of the main players this season.”

Good to see that Bannan hopefully realizes there is now some urgency needed on his behalf if he is ever going to really make it with us. Really hope Lambert can find the best way to use him in our side.

Some good tactical coaching and a good set of team-mates is all he needs. The technical ability is there. There's no guarantee he'll succeed here, but I'm far from writing him off either. There was a period early on last season where he looked like solidifying his place in the side with a sequence of a few very good performances.

I expect most if not all of the squad will up their game for Lambert. The real winner will be the fans and the club :)