Barry Bannan

villianusa

Players like Bannan, Albrighton, Delph and possibly Gradener need a good manager to help rebuild their PL careers from the ground up.

BB and MA in particular have shown flashes of quality in the past but have been thrown in by a clueless manager and badly lost their way.

A decent manager and first team coach could make a huge difference to the careers of these lads.

Never seen what all the fuss is about Bannan to be honest. Always looks like a highlights clip player I.e. one or two great passes a game (not game changing though) but the rest of his game is not of enough quality for anywhere near a starting place for us.

I am not saying Bannan is a world beater (he may become one, but right now he's nowhere near it), but some of the criticism is grossly unfair. The lads got a decent first touch, good close control, plays with his head up, can spot a pass better than anyone else in the squad (Ireland's vision is not that good, he's creative with a beautiful touch, but his vision is not that broad) and to me looks like a natural playmaker. When he's been played in the middle he has shown genuine 'moments' of quality. However since the drink drive thing early this season he hasn't been played centrally and only started a few. Up until that point (drink drive incident) everyone was chomping at the bit to see him given a proper run in the team. Since then he has been played out of position in a team defending for its life, so obviously he is going to struggle.

Gerard Houillier, who's man management and motivational skills are rather poor, does have an eye for a player, and immediately he picked out Bannan as one of our best prospects. The problem with Bannan is he is the kind of guy you have to build your midfield around, he lacks pace and strength, is not a tough tackler and at the same time does not run beyond players making lung brusting runs from the centre of the park. His game is about spotting the passes and keeping the ball ticking over. To get the best out of him you need two players alongside him in the middle of the park one to do the defensive work and another to make those forward runs from deep. Used in the right way he could be a real asset.

Does anyone remember Riqelme, (now I know Bannan is not in the same class [ever diminishing small chance he may prove to be but thats it]) when he moved to europe he struggled at every club with the exception of Villareal, where he was superb. The reason he succeeded there was because they built their team around him, and pretty much all their attacks came through and were orcastrated by him.

• 3 weeks later...
I am not saying Bannan is a world beater (he may become one, but right now he's nowhere near it), but some of the criticism is grossly unfair. The lads got a decent first touch, good close control, plays with his head up, can spot a pass better than anyone else in the squad (Ireland's vision is not that good, he's creative with a beautiful touch, but his vision is not that broad) and to me looks like a natural playmaker. When he's been played in the middle he has shown genuine 'moments' of quality. However since the drink drive thing early this season he hasn't been played centrally and only started a few. Up until that point (drink drive incident) everyone was chomping at the bit to see him given a proper run in the team. Since then he has been played out of position in a team defending for its life, so obviously he is going to struggle.

Gerard Houillier, who's man management and motivational skills are rather poor, does have an eye for a player, and immediately he picked out Bannan as one of our best prospects. The problem with Bannan is he is the kind of guy you have to build your midfield around, he lacks pace and strength, is not a tough tackler and at the same time does not run beyond players making lung brusting runs from the centre of the park. His game is about spotting the passes and keeping the ball ticking over. To get the best out of him you need two players alongside him in the middle of the park one to do the defensive work and another to make those forward runs from deep. Used in the right way he could be a real asset.

Does anyone remember Riqelme, (now I know Bannan is not in the same class [ever diminishing small chance he may prove to be but thats it]) when he moved to europe he struggled at every club with the exception of Villareal, where he was superb. The reason he succeeded there was because they built their team around him, and pretty much all their attacks came through and were orcastrated by him.

The only major problem with building a team around Bannan is that he cannot actually pick a pass.

If by picking a pass you mean attempting a 50 yard Hollywood ball straight to the opposition goalkeeper or on to the head of the opposing centre half then I suppose you are right, on that count count he is second to none.

Very poor player IMO.

one of the first players that should leave the club come summer

average to poor. dont see what the hype is about with this guy?

Nonsense!

He's clearly gifted. Fair enough he hasn't set the world alight this season but I don't see how a player of his ilk can be expected to prosper in a team managed by Alex McLeish, especially when he's only brought on with ten minutes to go when we're chasing a game. Not to mention the fact that he has generally been played out of position on the right.

I honestly think he has the potential to do great things, he just needs to be part of an actual football team (you know, the type that tries to keep possession and forge attacks) and he needs a manager who has faith in him.

All well and good him laughing at them being in the Championship but it's about his level and i'd half expect him to be playing in it next season as well

mail

VILLA star Barry Bannan was involved in a Twitter bust-up with Blues fans after their promotion dream died.

It started when the Scot, who was on loan at Blackpool earlier in his career, tweeted: “Buzzing for the Blackpool boys another trip to Wembley”.

Blues fans responded by taking the mickey out of the 5ft 7ins tall midfielder’s height and bringing up his 18-month driving ban, imposed last November after he admitted drinking and driving.

In a series of late-night exchanges, Bannan told one Birmingham City supporter: “Can’t wait to watch you on Match of the Day next season, oh wait Football League hahahaha.”

And in another message, he tweeted: “Pipe down enjoy your trips to Charlton and Sheffield Wednesday and places like that next year.”

Asked if he been drinking, Bannan replied: “Just had the one as a toast to Blues staying in the Championship is that bad?”

The star later told his Twitter followers not to take the exchanges to heart, insisting: “What a funny night, some great banter on here.”

Read More http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2012/05/10/aston-villa-star-barry-bannan-stirs-up-birmingham-city-fans-in-twitter-bust-up-over-blackpool-result-97319-30940940/#ixzz1uVJAWx1WIt started when the Scot, who was on loan at Blackpool earlier in his career, tweeted: “Buzzing for the Blackpool boys another trip to Wembley”.

Blues fans responded by taking the mickey out of the 5ft 7ins tall midfielder’s height and bringing up his 18-month driving ban, imposed last November after he admitted drinking and driving.

In a series of late-night exchanges, Bannan told one Birmingham City supporter: “Can’t wait to watch you on Match of the Day next season, oh wait Football League hahahaha.”

And in another message, he tweeted: “Pipe down enjoy your trips to Charlton and Sheffield Wednesday and places like that next year.”

Asked if he been drinking, Bannan replied: “Just had the one as a toast to Blues staying in the Championship is that bad?”

The star later told his Twitter followers not to take the exchanges to heart, insisting: “What a funny night, some great banter on here.”