Barry Bannan

villianusa

This is true, he might not hold down a place. The midfield, although young, has players who can pass. Its such a shame a few years of development were lost under previous managers, who thought the idea of football was to see how many times one of the back 5 (4 defenders plus the keeper) can kick the ball through to the opposition keeper.

In american football they always talk about the yards thrown by a quarter back in a game. Our defenders must win this stat hands down.

Most consistent player in pre-season for me, and was excellent last night. Not his biggest fan, but looks very sharp on the ball and the new system seems to be suiting him a lot, whether that transfers to a higher paced Premier League game though I'm not sure. Still see him as sort of a luxury player. It was interesting to see him constantly drop between the centre backs last night though as a link between defence and midfield, we managed to move the ball forward very quickly because of this. One of many tactical approaches we haven't seen down VP for a number of years, which is very promising.

the emergence of Gardener and Carrathurs

Two new signings?

:winkold:

not to get ahead of ourselves here but i would speculate even more!

KAE this pre season has looked great and if he can keep this up in the league he will deffo be in the 'new signing' category.

Delph has only been at the club 3 years? and when considering the history of the club that makes him a relatively 'new signing' as well.

Not to mention Ireland who apparently is a 'new signing' every season so i don't see why this season should be any different.

I make that a midfield full of new signings. Lambert has been busy!

Best player on the park by a mile last night, ran the game and displayed a range of passing superior to anything I've seen at Villa before. I fancy Bannan will be key to the possession system Lambert is putting in place he looks a different class of player in this setup than the lost boy under McLeish last season.

Best player on the park by a mile last night, ran the game and displayed a range of passing superior to anything I've seen at Villa before. I fancy Bannan will be key to the possession system Lambert is putting in place he looks a different class of player in this setup than the lost boy under McLeish last season.

Could not agree more sir. I hope we play this passing game. His range of passing has always been a step ahead of his team mates. Probably why so many of his passes went astray. because his team mates didn't expect the ball. Now of course, they are moving to recieve it. Almost like they have been told to help each other and look for the ball. Amazing.

Bannan's looking like a different player from last season. Now when he gets the ball he's got options to get rid of it before he's closed down and muscled off the ball. As long as he's not forced to hold off bigger, stronger players while he creates space and finds a pass, his size isn't as much of an issue and he can be very effective. He's got the skill on the ball to create the yard of space he needs to find the short pass he knows will be there or maybe even a good option for a longer pass. Last season he was getting the ball in tight quarters with no good options to move it on and there were usually only 3 possible outcomes: a) lose the ball before getting rid of it (often), B) create enough space to find a backward or sideways pass (not going to impress anyone) or c) create enough space to try a spectacular but low-percentage pass forward (rarely worked and got him slated on VT for giving it away). The big unknown right now is whether the new passing game will allow him enough time and space in the Premier League. We know it works against MLS teams, but the real test is yet to come.

Last season he was getting the ball in tight quarters with no good options to move it on and there were usually only 3 possible outcomes: a) lose the ball before getting rid of it (often), B) create enough space to find a backward or sideways pass (not going to impress anyone) or c) create enough space to try a spectacular but low-percentage pass forward (rarely worked and got him slated on VT for giving it away)

I watched the game from last night. Whilst Bannan had a very good game, the thing which helped him out most was movement. It was movement from a Villa midfield that I have pretty much never seen. Lots of interchanging and players looking for the ball. If there were no options, we'd just go back, and build up again. Bannan will always be a player who will play better when other people are giving him options. With Ireland, Bannan and Karim we really have the ability to move the ball in triangles, which is something I've never seen us do. It really was a joy to watch.

With a little more intent and creativity going forward he could play a huge role next season. Though, as we all know the MLS is a different standard to the Premier League. I hope all 3 of those midfielders can combine effectively against Premier League teams.

two things. Bannan looked incredibly good in deep lying midfield role in Portland. I would not have expected that, but very impressed.

Intersting story: At the chicago signing, a guy right behind me kept going on about the cross from bannan to albrighton at craven cottage. The guy was a fulham fan, so he wasn't happy at the goal, or the cross. Anyway, when he stepped to the table, he said to BB "I'm a Fulham fan, do you remember the cross you hit at craven cottage a while back?" BB immediately stated (not asked) "you mean the one to Marc."

So, a previous poster remembers that cross as a moment of brilliance. Clearly BB does too. I thought it was amazing the BB knew exactly what the fulham fan was referencing. I don't remember where I left my keys.

Playing so deep suits barry. He can pick the ball up, look up and play a pass. Mcleish had him hustling and chasing the ball like a mad man. Barry needs to play like scholes and just sit deep pickng the ball up from clark and co

I've never really doubted his ability I have to say, but I was a little unsure where he would actually fit in the side. Evidently he isn't a winger as McLeish wanted him (and Hutton and Heskey etc) to be, but sitting deep and spraying passes suits his game perfectly. He'll need to learn to do the dirty stuff as well though if he wants to hold down a starting spot.

I wonder if this coming season, with a fair few of these players, especially Bannan, we'll see just how bad a manager McLeish was tactically? Just how wrong he got it with what he told these players to do?

Imagine that? If McLeish was worse than we thought? :shock:

two things. Bannan looked incredibly good in deep lying midfield role in Portland. I would not have expected that, but very impressed.

Intersting story: At the chicago signing, a guy right behind me kept going on about the cross from bannan to albrighton at craven cottage. The guy was a fulham fan, so he wasn't happy at the goal, or the cross. Anyway, when he stepped to the table, he said to BB "I'm a Fulham fan, do you remember the cross you hit at craven cottage a while back?" BB immediately stated (not asked) "you mean the one to Marc."

So, a previous poster remembers that cross as a moment of brilliance. Clearly BB does too. I thought it was amazing the BB knew exactly what the fulham fan was referencing. I don't remember where I left my keys.

It was probably the best thing he did all season so no surprise he remembers it!

Bannan's got a chance for a fresh start after last season, and he's perhaps one who needs it most, as he faded badly after the driving thing and then hardly getting in the (underperforming) team.

He is definitely good with the ball, but it's a question of applying it at the top level - can he make the right passes at the right time, etc. And that's also partly down to whether manager plays a system in which he fits. Certainly would be an attribute in the team for dead ball situations and a deep-lying playmaker role might be where he fits, if alongside the right players

It was probably the best thing he did all season so no surprise he remembers it!

Bannan's got a chance for a fresh start after last season, and he's perhaps one who needs it most, as he faded badly after the driving thing and then hardly getting in the (underperforming) team.

He is definitely good with the ball, but it's a question of applying it at the top level - can he make the right passes at the right time, etc. And that's also partly down to whether manager plays a system in which he fits. Certainly would be an attribute in the team for dead ball situations and a deep-lying playmaker role might be where he fits, if alongside the right players

Just found it on youtube and it is a thing of beauty, from within our half as well.

video:

his bit starts at 1:23 but is interesting to watch the whole video because in a video containing amazing assists and world class players bannan for me stand out.

It's the only thing he's ever done! I remember it and I'm not Barry Bannan, why wouldn't he?

I remember this amazing flick I did at school about 11 years ago. And this back-heel I did out of defence which was too smooth. I also remember missing a header in the last minute of a knockout game, shiiiit.

I'll stop now :oops: