Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

Exactly and I can't see them winning either of the three trophies. They'll no doubt have a better season then us but surely Downing would be better off waiting a season, where at a lower price he's likely to have more options whilst in the mean time he can start regularly in a very important season.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liverpool look a lot more appealing to a player than Villa regardless of Europe, let's be honest. They're investing heavily, have a manager who is one of football's all time legends and despite lack of recent success they still have a reputation as a club that we can only dream of.

We now sell our best players every year and have McLeish as manager.

I say get rid of him ($20m minimum) and spend that money on someone who'd like to play for us. I cannot believe we can't get a better player than Downing for $20m.

In one of the Charlie Adam articles:

Liverpool have had a £15m offer for Downing rebuffed but are unlikely to be deterred by Aston Villa’s hardline stance and will return with an improved bid for the England winger, who has his heart set on a move to Anfield.

Villa are adamant their England star is not for sale and are even prepared to invite him to restart talks on a new contract, although he has two years remaining on his current deal. Villa feel they are under no pressure to sell having allowed Ashley Young to join Manchester United this summer.

The Sun even have "quotes" from a "Villa source":

A Villa source told SunSport: "Ashley Young has been sold and the club do not need or want to sell Downing who has time to run on his contract.

"Every player has his price but Liverpool are nowhere near that yet."

Liverpool look a lot more appealing to a player than Villa regardless of Europe, let's be honest. They're investing heavily, have a manager who is one of football's all time legends and despite lack of recent success they still have a reputation as a club that we can only dream of.

We now sell our best players every year and have McLeish as manager.

I say get rid of him ($20m minimum) and spend that money on someone who'd like to play for us. I cannot believe we can't get a better player than Downing for $20m.

Not sure 20 million dollars would quite meet our valuation :winkold:

Sky sports just said on their telecast that we would accept 19m. That is a **** joke for a player that is apparently crucial for us.

This £19m seems to keep appearing. My guess is that its what Liverpool would ultimately expect to pay probably spread by Downings agent.

The trouble is they paid £20m for Henderson so they have to top that by a margin. I think Cuntiolli of whatever their DoF is called did his business the wrong way round.

well levi said modric is not for sale as they wont be selling their best players. then football journos say it is a statement of intent and shows the ambitions of the club that they are not willing to off load their best players just because the player and a buying club want a deal.

no doubt krulak who thinks appointing any manager makes no difference to the ambitions and statements of intent of the club will disagree and downing and then bent will be off

and will spout more anti football ignorance and in the same breath claim fans know **** all about football because he and several others who have no idea about football and didnt even know what it was until they got employed by the club.

downing to be sold for £22 million is my guess to either arsenal or liverpoo

Villa are adamant they have no desire to sell Downing who cost £10 million, rising to £12 million, when he arrived on crutches with a fractured foot two years ago.

“He had a magnificent season last year and really came to full maturity as a top player,” said McLeish.

“I understand why there’s teams interested in him and that is what happens when you play well consistently.

“His performances last season were top draw.

“That’s why he’s not for sale. The club don’t want to sell him. I spoke to him briefly last week and I intend speaking to him again when all the lads are back in for training.”

Good enough for you?

Probably not.

Full Article from B'ham Mail

Backs up what MM told us weeks ago from fan meeting with AM. Downing is NOT FOR SALE unless we get a stupid offer for him.

Aston Villa: Stewart Downing is NOT for sale - Alex McLeish

by Mat Kendrick

Jul 7 2011

ALEX McLeish has insisted Stewart Downing is “not for sale” after Randy Lerner rejected Liverpool’s £15 million bid for Villa’s star of last season.

McLeish remains determined to hold onto Downing despite Kenny Dalglish testing the claret and blues’ resolve with an offer for the England winger.

But Liverpool – who completed the signing of former Villa midfield target Charlie Adam from Blackpool yesterday – are unlikely to be deterred easily. And McLeish and Lerner could have a major dilemma on their hands if Downing forces the issue and the Reds return with a bid nearer to £20 million.

Villa’s new boss had a conversation with Downing last week and will meet the former Middlesbrough favourite for a more detailed discussion tomorrow.

McLeish is reluctant to lose a second star player just weeks after Downing’s international team-mate Ashley Young joined Manchester United for £16 million.

Villa are adamant they have no desire to sell Downing who cost £10 million, rising to £12 million, when he arrived on crutches with a fractured foot two years ago.

“He had a magnificent season last year and really came to full maturity as a top player,” said McLeish.

“I understand why there’s teams interested in him and that is what happens when you play well consistently.

“His performances last season were top draw.

“That’s why he’s not for sale. The club don’t want to sell him. I spoke to him briefly last week and I intend speaking to him again when all the lads are back in for training.”

Downing has two years left on his current contract but performed a sharp U-turn after originally telling the Birmingham Mail he was open to signing an extended deal.

The 26-year-old left-footer then did an interview in his native north east revealing he had put the talks on hold and was not prepared to agree to bumper new terms.

And Downing dropped an even stronger hint he wanted to leave Villa when discussing his club ambitions on England duty before last month’s Switzerland game.

McLeish faces a tough task persuading Downing to stay for another season, let alone sign the new contract offer discussed with the club towards the end of last season.

If Downing is still determined to leave for Liverpool he could be forced to submit a formal written transfer request.

Given Villa’s strong ‘hands off’ stance, the claret and blues would be reluctant sellers but they would not keep an unhappy player if their valuation was met.

It has not yet got to the stage where Villa have decided Downing’s price, although having sold Young for £16 million with just a year left on his contract, they would be likely to demand at least £20 million for Downing, whose remaining deal is twice as long.

In terms of incoming deals, money has already been made available for Villa’s priority position, a new goalkeeper, and they are hopeful of progressing with their swoop for Manchester City’s Shay Given.

There will also be some funds for outfield reinforcements.

Although keeping Downing is still McLeish’s preferred outcome, any potential proceeds from grudgingly selling him would give the new boss more scope to strengthen and stamp his own mark on the squad.

Villa are braced for a summer long stand-off with Liverpool, if necessary, which has parallells with the tug-of-war between the clubs for Gareth Barry three seasons ago which ended with the Reds eventually pulling the plug on the deal.

Meanwhile, Adam has moved to Anfield in a move believed to be worth up to £9 million. Villa decided against seriously renewing their interest in the Blackpool captain after having a £3.5 million bid rejected in January.

Note: Slight change of reporting in this from Mat, because he tweeted a couple of wks ago, that he understood AM would be given funds for a new GK but would have to buy & sell to raise funds to fill other outfield positions that needed strengthening. This article says AM will be given "some funds" additionally for other postions, which is the inference from what the General posted on VT also.

Although keeping Downing is still McLeish’s preferred outcome, any potential proceeds from grudgingly selling him would give the new boss more scope to strengthen and stamp his own mark on the squad.

This scares me in so many ways!!!

Downing only has to come out and say he wants to leave though? Especially when a club like Liverpool come knocking.

Which, although he hasnt directly said it yet, he's strongly hinted that that's what he wants, and the situation hasn't really changed from that apart from Scouse fans jumping to conclusions.

I still believe Downing to be a top professional though. He wants to leave, and he probably thought itd be in the clubs interest to 'cash in', but if the manager wont sell him I still think he'll give us 100%.

Downing only has to come out and say he wants to leave though? Especially when a club like Liverpool come knocking.

Which, although he hasnt directly said it yet, he's strongly hinted that that's what he wants, and the situation hasn't really changed from that apart from Scouse fans jumping to conclusions.

I still believe Downing to be a top professional though. He wants to leave, and he probably thought itd be in the clubs interest to 'cash in', but if the manager wont sell him I still think he'll give us 100%.

He has to if he has any aspirations of playing for England at next summers Euro's.

He has to if he has any aspirations of playing for England at next summers Euro's.

Exactly, if McLeish makes Downing stay, it will show McLeish in a decent light as well. So what, we will lose a bit of money when/if Downing leaves next season, but he will only get to go to a decent club if he plays well for us all season.

Direct quotes saying he is not for sale.

Good news.

Like Big Feck has a say over transfers out of the club if a big enough offer comes in.

Like we can realistically believe a words that comes out from AVFC.

Like Big Feck has a say over transfers out of the club if a big enough offer comes in.

Like we can realistically believe a words that comes out from AVFC.

End of the transfer window is probably the best time to see if we can.

I'd say all the spin and bullshit (remember the club coming famous 'top class players' comment and then we went on to sign Philip Bardsley on loan - it streches as far back as then) previously thats been spoonfed to us since they've arrived shown that. But that's not about Downing.

Â