Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

After 'Tin Tin' was appointed by the board i stated on here that Downing would leave.

Bent will be next, maybe not until January but he will be off too.

Downing stated he wanted to leave in May, before Houllier had gone ....

..well appointing a manager with worse PREMIERSHIP EXPERIENCE pedigree than Mick McCarthy was hardly going to change his mind .

This appointment has sent out big signals to everyone including the players.

Its made Downings pondering whether to leave or not a lot, lot easier.

This. Totally agree mate

Simply, for my own sanity

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Downing wanted to play in the Champions League?

So why is he going to a club that aren't even in the Europa League yet alone the Champions League?

Cos maybe...just maybe they have a better chance of getting into CL than us?

So why is he going to a club that aren't even in the Europa League yet alone the Champions League?

They do have a better chance, but that chance still remains at somewhere between slim and rofl judging by the calibre of players that they're signing.

Maybe Mick Mcarthys being touted as the next Liverpool manager is a big pull

They do have a better chance, but that chance still remains at somewhere between slim and rofl judging by the calibre of players that they're signing.

Youre being at best naive.

Yes Liverpool might not get champs league but they still have infinite more times chance than we do.

The chasm between us , Liverpool and Spurs is massive.

We are now competing with the likes of Sunderland , Fulham and Stoke . Europa league is well beyond us at moment and with the terrible appointment we'vce made we will do well to consolidate 10th-12th every season.

I am flummexed in all this.

Our player of the season, both fans and players - thus, I presume he did actually put in a few shifts last season.

Now he said he won't sign a new contract - that is all from what I can see. And I don't blame him either, no player, whether it be Downing, Salifou, or Lionel Messi will sign a contract again until he has 12 months left - it would be financial suicide - look at what Man U had to do when Rooney got to that stage - if it happens to Man U , I'm sure it will happen to us - thats just life now.

Has he said he wants to leave - no , has he said he doesn't want to play for Villa - no , has he said anything bad about the club - no, has he said he wants to play for Liverpool - no.

So can I seriously ask - why are people slagging off and saying "I don't want him - get rid of him etc.. to our player of the season , and want us to sell him for what is in reality a pittance, just because Talk sport (yet again) are shit stirring.

Why don't you just wait and see what happens and what colour shirt he has on in 5 weeks. I remember the same people saying the exact same thing about one Gareth Barry a few seasons ago, when he DID say he wanted to leave. What happened , he stayed and probably played his best football of his 12 year career for the Villa.

Give him a break - seems to me, fans just want to slag absolutely everything off at the moment, whether it is deserved or not. I think if we announced the signing of Lionel Messi and David Villa people would slag the club off for something.

Yes Liverpool might not get champs league but they still have infinite more times chance than we do.

We are now competing with the likes of Sunderland , Fulham and Stoke . Europa league is well beyond us at moment and with the terrible appointment we'vce made we will do well to consolidate 10th-12th every season.

10th-12th every season, even though we finished 9th last year after having a really bad season. I think we will be challenging somewhere between 6th and 9th maybe 10th, but definately not down to 12th. If we can get a settled squad with a few new recruits and sort the defense, definately top 8 team, with hopefully a push towards the top 6.

Think its even more naive to think that they have an infinite more times chance of qualifing for CL, yes they have a better chance but not by loads. They have a decent side but just because they have signed Andy Carroll and spunked away £20m on a very average player does not mean they are up there with the top 4. Spurs are also likely to lose their best player this summer.

As for the 10th-12th placed consolidation well I think we will finish higher than last season.

After 'Tin Tin' was appointed by the board i stated on here that Downing would leave.

Unfortunately I fear you may be right.

He wont be here next season I fear

He will be. Besides the fact we will strengthen in the coming weeks, who will buy him?

United- Nope

Chelsea- Nope

Man City- Will want a 'bigger name'

Arsenal- Would be a good fit but Wenger won't pay big for a 27 yo

Liverpool - Suarez & Carroll so Nope

Spurs- Not again

Where do you think he will go?

He will be. Besides the fact we will strengthen in the coming weeks, who will buy him?

United- Nope

Chelsea- Nope

Spurs- Not again

Should have been clearer, he wont be here for the 12/13 season.

Who do you think we will strenghten with in the coming weeks? I dont think I am as optimistic as you on that front

United- Nope

Chelsea- Nope

Spurs- Not again

Should have been clearer, he wont be here for the 12/13 season.

Who do you think we will strenghten with in the coming weeks? I dont think I am as optimistic as you on that front

Not sure. But they will be players who want to play for us. Things like this happen all the time. It goes in cycles. A new team will be built. Best comparison I can make is the season where Little signed Draper, Milosevic & Southgate. New heroes will come along and crewate optimism.

Randy will not let the team slide down the table because in the long term it reduces commercial revenue, Kudos, Pride & fans/customers. Therefore, I am sure he will give funds to McLeish.

Anyway our CEO only gets back either today or tomorrow.

Can't see Bent going, no one is going to sign Darren Bent (28-29) for 12/13 season for £20-25 million etc...

depends how he does next year and how he does for england

Can't see Bent going, no one is going to sign Darren Bent (28-29) for 12/13 season for £20-25 million etc...

depends how he does next year and how he does for england

What, when Carroll & Rooney are upfront?

Bent has always scored goals and never gone to one of the top 4 or 5 (depending on your view of Spurs).

At 27, we ARE his big career move.

Â