Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

A season of Darren Bent standing alone up front with no support looks to be on the cards at this rate.
ANd then some fans saying we should flog him as he has done nothing anyway!

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were Villa to sell for £19m which I very much doubt I think there would be huge questions for the club to answer as that almost smacks of a fire sale.

AMcL is on the record saying that it would have to be ridiculous offer for Downing to go. That is not such an offer. Clearly the steer came from the club so he would be being undermined if we accepted a lower offer. I think the £19m is what Liverpool probably want to pay and no doubt they or Downing's agent is putting that about the media.

What's interesting is the clear disrespect Liverpool have again shown for Villa. With Barry I attributed it to a combination of the FSW and Rick Parry. Clearly its endemic to that club. Peronsally I can see RL and PF playing hardball on this.

I agree.

If Downing leaves then it will be yet another signal of Lerner's ambitions. I have stood by him thick and thin, even through the Mcleish saga, but if this sale goes ahead then even I will start to believe Lerner wants nothing but mediocre.

Bent must be thinking to himself what the hell is going on?

Might even be thinking what a mistake he made leaving Sunderland.

When he first arrived he said massive reason for joining was becuase of opportunity to play alongside quality wingers in Ash and Downing..fast forward few months and both gone already.

The man is clearly

We made a loss of over 37m last year so even if we sold Downing for 20m on top of the Young money we would still be making a loss. Randy is losing money and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. He also knows we will be a weaker team without these players and so will make funds available. I expect action early next week when the staff get back to work.

I don't see Liverpool going to 20m so think it quite possible Downing will be at the Villa next season, even if he doesn't want to be.

Bent must be thinking to himself what the hell is going on?

Might even be thinking what a mistake he made leaving Sunderland.

When he first arrived he said massive reason for joining was becuase of opportunity to play alongside quality wingers in Ash and Downing..fast forward few months and both gone already.

I think Bent will also be excited at the prospect of Albrighton who has the potential to be better than both of them given time. Yes it is all doom and gloom right now and Bent is probably a bit wary, but if he has a bit of intelligence he will know that whoever we buy in may be just as good. I think he was more excited about the supply line and less about the actual players.. If N'Zogbia or whoever we buy in and Albrighton produce the same quality of balls into the box then he won't care.

If a player wants to go and play for another team then why keep him ? The key is replacing him if he goes. Why does all this intent about selling and therefore medicority sit at Randy's door? It isn't Randy who is touting clubs for Downing.

Find a suitable replacement and then let him go. We thought it was end of the world when Barry went, we survived, same with Milner, again we survived. We will be fine without Young and Downing as long as we replace with 1st teamers in similar positions.

All this talk of it being Randy selling the players is utter tosh in my opinion. Downing didn't want to sign a new contract so we must have tried to and that is not cashing in.......

Give Eck chance to look at the players and see who he wants to buy, all this talk of relegation is rather premature.

Give Randy a break, best thing to happen to the club in a long time.

Were Villa to sell for £19m which I very much doubt I think there would be huge questions for the club to answer as that almost smacks of a fire sale.

AMcL is on the record saying that it would have to be ridiculous offer for Downing to go. That is not such an offer. Clearly the steer came from the club so he would be being undermined if we accepted a lower offer. I think the £19m is what Liverpool probably want to pay and no doubt they or Downing's agent is putting that about the media.

What's interesting is the clear disrespect Liverpool have again shown for Villa. With Barry I attributed it to a combination of the FSW and Rick Parry. Clearly its endemic to that club. Peronsally I can see RL and PF playing hardball on this.

I agree.

If Downing leaves then it will be yet another signal of Lerner's ambitions. I have stood by him thick and thin, even through the Mcleish saga, but if this sale goes ahead then even I will start to believe Lerner wants nothing but mediocre.

For me, it depends on who we replace Downing with. I've accepted that Downing and his agent have been tapped up by Liverpool some weeks back. Now it is up to Randy and Faulkner to wring as much money out of the cheating Scousers as we can. Then we need to go out and bag ourselves a top player or two to raise the teams quality and our fans optimism levels. If we don't do the final part, then I will question Randy's ambitions further. I will admit that the AMc appointment has made my support of Randy waiver a lot recently, but i'll see what he offers us this summer in funds before getting too angry, afterall he did shock us all in January by signing Bent.

Villa give Downing £19 million price tag. Who on earth is doing the pricing at Villa? For god sake this is the team that paid £35 mil for Carroll and £20 mil for Henderson!!! A. Why put a price tag on him...other clubs will enquire now and B. £20 mil plus please. Liverpool have a thing for unsettling players. Dirty scousers.

Downing is now on my hitlist for suddenly going from 'staying through relegation' to 'oh liverpool? Great sign me up pweeeease' t*sser.

What's interesting is the clear disrespect Liverpool have again shown for Villa. With Barry I attributed it to a combination of the FSW and Rick Parry. Clearly its endemic to that club.

THIS!

How can we keep a player that wants to leave. It would make no sense.

If they want to go, get em out for the highest amount.

And this also. Ian Taylor was on TalkSport earlier saying pretty much the same thing. Sell him now whilst his price is at a premium. Hopefully Arsenal will come in with a 20m offer which will then give Liverpool the kick up the arse to cough up closer to 25m.

FWIW i think Arsenal will come in for him when Nasri goes to City

Is Oxlaide Chamberlain as nailed on to Arsenal as most people seem to suggest? He would seem like the ideal buy for us as a replacement for Downing given his potential resale value in a couple of years.

How can we keep a player that wants to leave. It would make no sense.

very easily. he's got 2 years on his deal, and if we keep him he has to perform if he wants to go to the euros and get a big move next summer. perfect timing for us, since it doesnt matter how pissed downing is, if hes out of our team through not putting in a shift, he's out of the england team, out of the spotlight and out of a big move next summer

Hamburglar wrote:

The man is clearly

We made a loss of over 37m last year so even if we sold Downing for 20m on top of the Young money we would still be making a loss. Randy is losing money and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. He also knows we will be a weaker team without these players and so will make funds available. I expect action early next week when the staff get back to work.

I don't see Liverpool going to 20m so think it quite possible Downing will be at the Villa next season, even if he doesn't want to be.

Don't get me wrong Randy has been good for the club but I can't help thinking he wants his money back, he is a businessman after all, what does he care if we never win anything as long as the turnover is good and we are not making losses year after year! He tried his best and pumped a lot in but we failed big time. We must now reap. I just do not see the guy pumping more money into the club so we can make another fat loss next year. For what its worth I think Downing will not be here next season.

I hope you are right Hackney but I have just got a bad feeling about it all. I believe in positive thinking would you believe and I like your style I am just finding it difficult to agree with you on that one. No offence.

Â