Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

I am flummexed in all this.

Our player of the season, both fans and players - thus, I presume he did actually put in a few shifts last season.

Now he said he won't sign a new contract - that is all from what I can see. And I don't blame him either, no player, whether it be Downing, Salifou, or Lionel Messi will sign a contract again until he has 12 months left - it would be financial suicide - look at what Man U had to do when Rooney got to that stage - if it happens to Man U , I'm sure it will happen to us - thats just life now.

Has he said he wants to leave - no , has he said he doesn't want to play for Villa - no , has he said anything bad about the club - no, has he said he wants to play for Liverpool - no.

So can I seriously ask - why are people slagging off and saying "I don't want him - get rid of him etc.. to our player of the season , and want us to sell him for what is in reality a pittance, just because Talk sport (yet again) are shit stirring.

Why don't you just wait and see what happens and what colour shirt he has on in 5 weeks. I remember the same people saying the exact same thing about one Gareth Barry a few seasons ago, when he DID say he wanted to leave. What happened , he stayed and probably played his best football of his 12 year career for the Villa.

Give him a break - seems to me, fans just want to slag absolutely everything off at the moment, whether it is deserved or not. I think if we announced the signing of Lionel Messi and David Villa people would slag the club off for something.

Dug out some quotes from Stewart Downing.

From this:

Yes, I am happy here. There is speculation that players are going to clubs all the time but I am happy here. Since the first day I came here I have enjoyed every minute

A lot of faith went into me when Martin paid a lot of money for me when I was injured

On a personal note I want to do well because the club put a lot of faith in me

It's a family club. You feel very welcome and there's a great environment. I love the fact the team has great ambition for the future

I'm looking forward to next season already. We're looking to really progress

I am thoroughly enjoying my time at Villa. Even though it's been a frustrating season, I see the bigger picture and the ambition of the club

It’s part and parcel of being a player and doing well. Ever since I was young I’ve read stories saying ‘you’re going here, you’re going there.' Obviously if you have a good season you get linked, but I’m happy here

There are terrific players here. I’m confident, despite this season, that we’re going in the right direction and, if we get the right players in, then I’m happy

The important thing in football is if you’re happy, then why change it. I know it’s been a disappointing season but I can see the bigger picture

To this

My agent had a recent meeting with our chief executive. However, I am 26, and at a major crossroads in my career, so I won't be committing to a new deal at the moment

I want to keep playing and enjoying my football. When I was injured that made me realise what it can be like to be out for such a long time. It hurt. The most important thing is to play football, but I do want to play in the Champions League at some point

With England as well, all the top players play in good teams. I'm no different

You just want the best for your career. You want to finish with medals at the end of it so, if it's a step up with Villa or with someone else, then I'm ready for it

You watch teams in the Champions League and it makes you wish you were there. You sit at home and watch it, hear the music come on, you see the teams and you think 'that's where you want to be.

It's the pinnacle. It's the best. It's the best standard with the best players. It would be nice to taste that one day

My agent had a meeting with the club - just one meeting - and he just felt it was the right time not to sign my contract

Will I be at Villa next season? I'm not sure

You hope they do (understand) but normal fans will want you to stay at their club for the rest of your life. If you do leave there's obviously a bit of bitterness there

You hope they do understand because, it's like any job, if there's a better job on hand, or a better level to do it, then people do it

It's up to their fans and their opinions of me. If they want to be loud and clear with what they think of me, then that's fine

:|

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shame to see these players leave, Barry, Milner, Young and now possible Downing, just wish Bent had joined us a few seasons ago.......I think he would have made us push into the top 4, then these players would have stayed......maybe? Oh well so near yet so far........

£20m and i will drive you there.

I am flummexed in all this.

Our player of the season, both fans and players - thus, I presume he did actually put in a few shifts last season.

Now he said he won't sign a new contract - that is all from what I can see. And I don't blame him either, no player, whether it be Downing, Salifou, or Lionel Messi will sign a contract again until he has 12 months left - it would be financial suicide - look at what Man U had to do when Rooney got to that stage - if it happens to Man U , I'm sure it will happen to us - thats just life now.

Has he said he wants to leave - no , has he said he doesn't want to play for Villa - no , has he said anything bad about the club - no, has he said he wants to play for Liverpool - no.

So can I seriously ask - why are people slagging off and saying "I don't want him - get rid of him etc.. to our player of the season , and want us to sell him for what is in reality a pittance, just because Talk sport (yet again) are shit stirring.

Why don't you just wait and see what happens and what colour shirt he has on in 5 weeks. I remember the same people saying the exact same thing about one Gareth Barry a few seasons ago, when he DID say he wanted to leave. What happened , he stayed and probably played his best football of his 12 year career for the Villa.

Give him a break - seems to me, fans just want to slag absolutely everything off at the moment, whether it is deserved or not. I think if we announced the signing of Lionel Messi and David Villa people would slag the club off for something.

Dug out some quotes from Stewart Downing.

From this:

Yes, I am happy here. There is speculation that players are going to clubs all the time but I am happy here. Since the first day I came here I have enjoyed every minute

A lot of faith went into me when Martin paid a lot of money for me when I was injured

On a personal note I want to do well because the club put a lot of faith in me

It's a family club. You feel very welcome and there's a great environment. I love the fact the team has great ambition for the future

I'm looking forward to next season already. We're looking to really progress

I am thoroughly enjoying my time at Villa. Even though it's been a frustrating season, I see the bigger picture and the ambition of the club

It’s part and parcel of being a player and doing well. Ever since I was young I’ve read stories saying ‘you’re going here, you’re going there.' Obviously if you have a good season you get linked, but I’m happy here

There are terrific players here. I’m confident, despite this season, that we’re going in the right direction and, if we get the right players in, then I’m happy

The important thing in football is if you’re happy, then why change it. I know it’s been a disappointing season but I can see the bigger picture

To this

My agent had a recent meeting with our chief executive. However, I am 26, and at a major crossroads in my career, so I won't be committing to a new deal at the moment

I want to keep playing and enjoying my football. When I was injured that made me realise what it can be like to be out for such a long time. It hurt. The most important thing is to play football, but I do want to play in the Champions League at some point

With England as well, all the top players play in good teams. I'm no different

You just want the best for your career. You want to finish with medals at the end of it so, if it's a step up with Villa or with someone else, then I'm ready for it

You watch teams in the Champions League and it makes you wish you were there. You sit at home and watch it, hear the music come on, you see the teams and you think 'that's where you want to be.

It's the pinnacle. It's the best. It's the best standard with the best players. It would be nice to taste that one day

My agent had a meeting with the club - just one meeting - and he just felt it was the right time not to sign my contract

Will I be at Villa next season? I'm not sure

You hope they do (understand) but normal fans will want you to stay at their club for the rest of your life. If you do leave there's obviously a bit of bitterness there

You hope they do understand because, it's like any job, if there's a better job on hand, or a better level to do it, then people do it

It's up to their fans and their opinions of me. If they want to be loud and clear with what they think of me, then that's fine

:|

Yeah...seems funny he had a meeting then he basically wants to leave, he's obviously discussed the clubs ambitions which have gone down hill basically & now he doesnt wanna commit to us & I gotta be honest I dont blame him one bit..why on earth would he?

Thing is when asked the questions that led to the original answers we were very much in the do do in the league and fighting a relegation battle.

If he had said then "look I dont know what's going to happen and of course I want champions league football" or any of the things above he would have been shafted for throwing a huge spanner in our fight to avoid relegation

I for one do not blame him at all.

With regards to Bent, him not being an all-round striker could work in our favour. All the clubs above us will be looking for more complete forwards. Everton, who are about on our level, wouldn't come close to affording him, neither would any of the clubs below us.

After 'Tin Tin' was appointed by the board i stated on here that Downing would leave.

Bent will be next, maybe not until January but he will be off too.

This. How people can argue that a higher profile manager wouldnt have acted as a reassurance of our ambition to Downing is beyond me.

The ship was rocking last year and Downing knew Young was going so his head was turned, the right managerial appointment would not only have convinced the fans of our ambition, it would have done the same to the players.

How people can argue that a higher profile manager wouldnt have acted as a reassurance of our ambition to Downing is beyond me.

The ship was rocking last year and Downing knew Young was going so his head was turned, the right managerial appointment would not only have convinced the fans of our ambition, it would have done the same to the players.

Believing that a different manager of virtually any calibre would change the money focused minds of agent and player is very, very naive.

After 'Tin Tin' was appointed by the board i stated on here that Downing would leave.

Bent will be next, maybe not until January but he will be off too.

This. How people can argue that a higher profile manager wouldnt have acted as a reassurance of our ambition to Downing is beyond me.

beyond us? Downing stated he wanted to move long before McLeish was ever appointed so I imagine whoever was appointed, Downing's feelings were going to be the same. When we had O'Neill, we finished 6th 3 times in a row and it didn't stop Barry and Milner from leaving. So it's nothing new, successful team/good manager or not.

Believing that a different manager of virtually any calibre would change the money focused minds of agent and player is very, very naive.

Players want to play, enjoy playing and be succesful or believe they can be succesful. They also want to be paid the same as their peers.

Agents dont get paid unless they transfer players, therefore they will always be looking to engineer a move.

Is that naive enough for you?? I am old enough to understand the world, but the most damaging aspect to me is still the fact that our ambitions are shot! Downing will go this window, as despite McLeish telling a fans forum it would take a ridiculous bid, that ridiculous bid appears to be less than a 20 year old from Sunderland.

Says it all to me.

Thing is when asked the questions that led to the original answers we were very much in the do do in the league and fighting a relegation battle.

If he had said then "look I dont know what's going to happen and of course I want champions league football" or any of the things above he would have been shafted for throwing a huge spanner in our fight to avoid relegation

We were safe by then, just before the Arsenal game. 6 points clear, 4 places above and a far higher goal difference.

Players want to play, enjoy playing and be succesful or believe they can be succesful. They also want to be paid the same as their peers.

Agents dont get paid unless they transfer players, therefore they will always be looking to engineer a move.

Is that naive enough for you?? I am old enough to understand the world, but the most damaging aspect to me is still the fact that our ambitions are shot! Downing will go this window, as despite McLeish telling a fans forum it would take a ridiculous bid, that ridiculous bid appears to be less than a 20 year old from Sunderland.

Says it all to me.

Well that depends who you believe. Newspaper says £19 million, BBC Sport says we don't want to sell at all.

Says it all to me.

Yes.

Why don't you wait to see whether Downing is sold this summer, let alone for less than £20m, before banging the same drum?

We were safe by then, just before the Arsenal game. 6 points clear, 4 places above and a far higher goal difference.

At that point some on here were having us believe we were favorites to go down. :lol:

Downing stated he wanted to move long before McLeish was ever appointed

Did he?? Or did he say that he wasnt going to sign a new contract?? Would you given Houlliers condition and the uncertainty over who would replace him?

Why don't you wait to see whether Downing is sold this summer, let alone for less than £20m, before banging the same drum?

I can see him going as I firmly believe that we are facing an uphilll struggle to keep him at Villa and convince him of our ambitions.

If you want to argue that point as the basis of my opinion then that is your perogative.

Did he?? Or did he say that he wasnt going to sign a new contract?? Would you given Houlliers condition and the uncertainty over who would replace him?

I can see him going as I firmly believe that we are facing an uphilll struggle to keep him at Villa and convince him of our ambitions.

If you want to argue that point as the basis of my opinion then that is your perogative.

I can see why you might believe that Downing will leave this summer; after all, many Villa fans were 100% convinced that Barry was leaving during the summer - one year before he actually did.

I can see why you might believe that Downing will leave this summer; after all, many Villa fans were 100% convinced that Barry was leaving during the summer - one year before he actually did.

Difference being then we played hardball, had a charasmatic manager and appeared to be going places.

I get labelled a doom monger, but I cannot see for one second that we are even remotely in this position with Downing.

not confirmed but apparently Liverpool have put another offer in for £17m..

'Apparently' is one of my least favourite words.

It looks like the Barry saga all over again and we easily held Liverpool off and got another good year out of the player.

By your own game, who says he wants to leave now? Liverpool have put in a bid, that doesn't mean Downing wants to leave.

As he's never stated directly he wants to leave.

Â