Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dress it up however you want, but selling now for 20m rather than next summer for half that price just makes sense.

He is certainly replaceable.

that depends on how we view things. is selling him now and having an additional player to replace a good idea considering we could get the defence and keeper sorted out this year, sell downing next year and then look for his replacement? the less players we need to replace the better imo, so id take the potential £10m hit that we might have if downing has a poor season

Dress it up however you want, but selling now for 20m rather than next summer for half that price just makes sense.

He is certainly replaceable.

that depends on how we view things. is selling him now and having an additional player to replace a good idea considering we could get the defence and keeper sorted out this year, sell downing next year and then look for his replacement? the less players we need to replace the better imo, so id take the potential £10m hit that we might have if downing has a poor season

How he plays next year will have zero bearing on the price he will leave for. He could score a hat trick in the Euro 2012 final and he will still be leaving for peanuts next summer. The ONLY reason it would make sense to keep Downing is if we had a realistic shot at getting a CL spot next season. Which we havent.

The ONLY reason it would make sense to keep Downing is if we had a realistic shot at getting a CL spot next season

nonsense

unless the price is met we keep him, otherwise we become a pushover for players and clubs

After 'Tin Tin' was appointed by the board i stated on here that Downing would leave.

Bent will be next, maybe not until January but he will be off too.

Downing stated he wanted to leave in May, before Houllier had gone ....

..well appointing a manager with worse PREMIERSHIP EXPERIENCE pedigree than Mick McCarthy was hardly going to change his mind .

This appointment has sent out big signals to everyone including the players.

Its made Downings pondering whether to leave or not a lot, lot easier.

After 'Tin Tin' was appointed by the board i stated on here that Downing would leave.

And if we'd appointed someone like Ancelotti do you not think Downing would have reconsidered?

The appointment of 'Tin Tin' smacks of a lack of ambition and has sent a clear message out to the rest of the Premiership.

Now that it is clear for whatever reason that Downing will go, 20m is too light in my opinion. Henderson went for 20m and is still unproven. I'd hope that our board would have the sense to price Downing at 25m!

..well appointing a manager with worse PREMIERSHIP EXPERIENCE pedigree than Mick McCarthy was hardly going to change his mind .

or better premiership experience than villas boas?7

stuf about the mccarthy stuff anyway, he's a fantastic manager

I thought Downing wanted to play in the Champions League?

So why is he going to a club that aren't even in the Europa League yet alone the Champions League?

What has Mick McCarthy won?

hes never been at a team with the resources to win anything. he made ireland one of the better footballing teams in europe with a limited squad not too long ago

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

The ONLY reason it would make sense to keep Downing is if we had a realistic shot at getting a CL spot next season

nonsense

unless the price is met we keep him, otherwise we become a pushover for players and clubs

What you talkin about?! Of course only let him leave if the price is met! Pretty much what ive been saying. Its you that wants to hang onto him no matter what!

Where have i ever said we should let him go on the cheap?

hes never been at a team with the resources to win anything. he made ireland one of the better footballing teams in europe with a limited squad not too long ago

Yes mate and there is a reason for that!

Shut up about Mick **** McCarthy. He has nothing to do with anything.

I also don't think Downing wasn't pondering, his comments were all so obvious. It's so, so, so easy to see when a player wants to leave these days. Same with Downing.

Â