Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

I'd say all the spin and bullshit (remember the club coming famous 'top class players' comment and then we went on to sign Philip Bardsley on loan - it streches as far back as then) previously thats been spoonfed to us since they've arrived shown that. But that's not about Downing.

And we signed John Carew in the same transfer window as well, along with Ashley Young. Strange how you forgot that isn't it.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say all the spin and bullshit (remember the club coming famous 'top class players' comment and then we went on to sign Philip Bardsley on loan - it streches as far back as then) previously thats been spoonfed to us since they've arrived shown that. But that's not about Downing.

And we signed John Carew in the same transfer window as well, along with Ashley Young. Strange how you forgot that isn't it.

Not at all. Depends if you call them top class. I wouldn't. Decent players (when they can both be arsed) but top class? Young at the time, remember, was considered very, very overpriced and was actually dropped for a while. Even if you consider him as top class now - he wasn't when we bought him.

Even if you consider him as top class now - he wasn't when we bought him.

So, you think we shouldn't try and sign potential top class, we should just buy actual top class ?

Next time you're at a match, take a look at the name of the club your support. Its Aston Villa, not Barcelona, Man Utd, Real Madrid etc

Look at a club some claim are huge like Liverpool. None of their transfer business has been anywhere near 'top class'.

You have to know your shopping level and make the most of it.

Not at all. Depends if you call them top class. I wouldn't. Decent players (when they can both be arsed) but top class? Young at the time, remember, was considered very, very overpriced and was actually dropped for a while. Even if you consider him as top class now - he wasn't when we bought him.

Well I would call them better than Phil Bardsley who you chose to name.

Unfortunately Zidane has recently retired.

I think any suggestion of signing top class players, I don't even remember it been said, would be down to naivety other than trying to lie to the fans. Anyone with half a brain would know that we would struggle to sign really "top class" players.

So, you think we shouldn't try and sign potential top class, we should just buy actual top class ?

No. I've not said that anywhere. But what I have said, is that the club have been feeding us, what is in my opinion, bullshit for quite some time about a number of things. It started with that comment and has continued - sometimes little small things, sometimes bigger things. But it's all PR and spin including Krulak's limited appearances.

Next time you're at a match, take a look at the name of the club your support. Its Aston Villa, not Barcelona, Man Utd, Real Madrid etc

Look at a club some claim are huge like Liverpool. None of their transfer business has been anywhere near 'top class'.

I wasn't the one who said we'd be buying top class players. That was the club telling the fans. You are directing this at the wrong person!

Well I would call them better than Phil Bardsley who you chose to name.

Me too. But they still weren't top class :)

It wasn't me that said it. The very fact that you have both said it's not achievable, whilst at the same time had a club spokeman saying these things, only backs up the point that they were lying to us from the very start. Either that, or the people at the club don't have 'half a brain'.

And to get it back on topic of Downing, that's why I won't be treating these latest things about Downing not being for sale with any sort of belief it's true. When you get so much PR and spin from the club, it gets harder to distunguish between that and the truth.

And to get it back on topic of Downing, that's why I won't be treating these latest things about Downing not being for sale with any sort of belief it's true. When you get so much PR and spin from the club, it gets harder to distunguish between that and the truth.

Yes absolutely agree with that. Downing is not for sale for me means Downing is not for sale at the price you have offered..

Everyone has a price, and it just so happens that the club fell that Downings is £19m. The club is a business lets not forget.

People say we shouldnt be selling our best players, well if your best players dont want to be hear then its a little difficult.

The clubs stance was always that Stewart was not for sale, however since that statement i would expect that Stewart has made it clear to the club that he would like to move to Liverpool, the club then (and rightly so) assume Stewart no longer wants to be at the club and they have set his valuation which id £19m, which Liverpool will either meet and he leaves or they dont and he stays.

AVFC are not just selling there best players to line Randy's pockets, they are taking into consideration what the players wants, in this case it is clear that Stewart wants to play for Liverpool and has told the club this, that is why their stance has changed and they have set a price.

Direct quotes saying he is not for sale.

Good news.

Like Big Feck has a say over transfers out of the club if a big enough offer comes in.

Like we can realistically believe a words that comes out from AVFC.

I can see Liverpool coming in with a stupid money offer and there doesn't appear to be any other bidders.

I expect he will stay a Villa player this summer.

If you were going to bet on it would you put money on him staying or going this window?

I think it's embarassing that if we lose Downing the only players we've got to fall on is Bent, the kids, troublesome players such as Warnock, Ireland, Beye, Collins, Dunne etc.

Levy is making it clear he doesn't want Modric gone. This is the true test to see how good our board really is keeping players because we full well know that Modric is way superior than Downing and if we can't keep Downing, we need a new board who knows how to persuade keeping players better because losing 4 best players in 3 seasons is unacceptable. A piss poor job.

Direct quotes saying he is not for sale.

Good news.

Like Big Feck has a say over transfers out of the club if a big enough offer comes in.

Like we can realistically believe a words that comes out from AVFC.

I can see Liverpool coming in with a stupid money offer and there doesn't appear to be any other bidders.

I expect he will stay a Villa player this summer.

If you were going to bet on it would you put money on him staying or going this window?

I would put money on him leaving to be honest as I think it is the only way Mcleish will have decent money to reinvest

That should obviously have read "can't see Liverpool offering stupid money".

We have turned down £15mill and said he is not for sale. They won't spend the 20mill+ on a player who is 27 and will have very little resale value in a few seasons. They look like they are only willing to spend big money on youth and I expect them to turn their attention to the spanish kid they are watching.

I would put money on him leaving to be honest as I think it is the only way Mcleish will have decent money to reinvest

This. The statement is just the usual he's not for sale at any price (but he really is for sale we just want to up the price or make him hand in a transfer request so he loses his share of the fee)

I think it's embarassing that if we lose Downing the only players we've got to fall on is Bent, the kids, troublesome players such as Warnock, Ireland, Beye, Collins, Dunne etc.

What happened to players like Gabby? or Petrov? Cuellar? Not saying the situation is brilliant, but why forget players?

ALEX McLeish has insisted Stewart Downing is “not for sale” after Randy Lerner rejected Liverpool’s £15 million bid for Villa’s star of last season.

McLeish remains determined to hold onto Downing despite Kenny Dalglish testing the claret and blues’ resolve with an offer for the England winger.

But Liverpool – who completed the signing of former Villa midfield target Charlie Adam from Blackpool yesterday – are unlikely to be deterred easily. And McLeish and Lerner could have a major dilemma on their hands if Downing forces the issue and the Reds return with a bid nearer to £20 million.

Villa’s new boss had a conversation with Downing last week and will meet the former Middlesbrough favourite for a more detailed discussion tomorrow.

McLeish is reluctant to lose a second star player just weeks after Downing’s international team-mate Ashley Young joined Manchester United for £16 million.

Villa are adamant they have no desire to sell Downing who cost £10 million, rising to £12 million, when he arrived on crutches with a fractured foot two years ago.

“He had a magnificent season last year and really came to full maturity as a top player,” said McLeish.

“I understand why there’s teams interested in him and that is what happens when you play well consistently.

“His performances last season were top drawer.

That’s why he’s not for sale. The club don’t want to sell him. I spoke to him briefly last week and I intend speaking to him again when all the lads are back in for training.”

Downing has two years left on his current contract but performed a sharp U-turn after originally telling the Birmingham Mail he was open to signing an extended deal.

From the Birmingahm Mail

Villa are adamant they have no desire to sell Downing who cost £10 million, rising to £12 million, when he arrived on crutches with a fractured foot two years ago.

“He had a magnificent season last year and really came to full maturity as a top player,” said McLeish.

“I understand why there’s teams interested in him and that is what happens when you play well consistently.

“His performances last season were top draw.

“That’s why he’s not for sale. The club don’t want to sell him. I spoke to him briefly last week and I intend speaking to him again when all the lads are back in for training.”

Good enough for you?

Probably not.

im pretty sure AM was quoted as saying something such as if we get a crazy bid we will sell?

so either he is not for sale or he is?

both are quotes coming from villa so someone is lying

“His performances last season were top draw.

“That’s why he’s not for sale. The club don’t want to sell him. I spoke to him briefly last week and I intend speaking to him again when all the lads are back in for training.”

Good enough for you?

Probably not.

im pretty sure AM was quoted as saying something such as if we get a crazy bid we will sell?

so either he is not for sale or he is?

both are quotes coming from villa so someone is lying

One is a quote from Alex McLeish and the other is what MM informed was said, by McLeish, at a fans meeting.

He's not for sale. But if a crazy offer comes in then we'd be mad to turn it down. I understand that completely. If an offer of £27m came in, we'd be better off accepting it and investing back into the squad.

I presume that they're all singing from the same hymn sheet at Villa and therefore McLeish's position would be completely undermined if he were to be sold now after what he's said. Having said that there's a price for everything and turning down 25m wouldn't be good business in my book.

Downing isn't coming out of this very well and looks to have been poorly advised like Gareth Barry.

There has to be a point where it becomes in the best interest of the club to sell him. Ie if a massive bid comes in and we can reinvest it back into the squad it would be foolish to keep him. I'm sure AM and RL are working in the best interests of the club and I am please by what he has come out and said.

Â