Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

I can see why you might believe that Downing will leave this summer; after all, many Villa fans were 100% convinced that Barry was leaving during the summer - one year before he actually did.

Difference being then we played hardball, had a charasmatic manager and appeared to be going places.

I get labelled a doom monger, but I cannot see for one second that we are even remotely in this position with Downing.

The signs are we are ready to play hardball again.

We don't know how charismatic Downing and his agent think McLeish is and, more importantly, how important 'charisma' is to them. I strongly suspect it isn't!

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By your own game, who says he wants to leave now? Liverpool have put in a bid, that doesn't mean Downing wants to leave.

As he's never stated directly he wants to leave.

Mate once again you have me confused. You tell me that Downing has stated that he wants to leave and then ask me why I think he wants to leave now?? You told me that he stated he wants to leave before McLeish came in, surely you have evidence for that and can therefore answer your own question??

To me, I would think he would be more inclined to consider leaving after this managerial appointment. In my opinion, I would be surprised if he is here at the end of the window.

BBC Sport reporting he is not for sale at any price. Make of it what you will.

I hope this is nearer the mark!

This 'open season' at Villa has to stop somewhere soon before it become terminal (if its not already)!

17 Million for Downing =drive on driver...- No deal.

I am curious as to how Liverpool can afford to me spending money like there is not tomorrow with the UEFA finicial fair play rule around the corner...!

Any body like to educate me please do.

I hope that he stays "for just one more season", we have a great season of progress and success, so that he puts pen to paper on a new deal and says something like "I never said I wanted to leave, I love it here..." Dream, dream and dream again!!

DJ is a fine player, no question, but at the end of the day, if he were to leave, it certainly isn't the end of the world. Having said that, we should be getting +£20M for a player of his calibre, considering Pool paid that much for Henderson who is nowhere near DJ's class.

Think we have an interesting season to look forward, especially if DJ also leaves, because it will mean we have to buy more QUALITY players. And I sincerely hope McLeish gets it right.

BBC Sport reporting he is not for sale at any price. Make of it what you will.

I hope this is nearer the mark!

This 'open season' at Villa has to stop somewhere soon before it become terminal (if its not already)!

If he don't go this season he will be going next as he doesn't want to sign a new contract and the club would be stupid to allow players to go for nothing.

Either way he's going and there is nothing the club can do about it really, only to get the best deal for the club money wise.

Well if Villa have told Liverpool to do one unless it's stupid money..... good for them!

Backs up what the general has said in his thread and is exactly what Alex McCleish told the fans at meeting a couple of weeks ago as well.

No one is listening though, just so ready to see the negatives in everything.

At least Dalglish & Gerrard haven't come out and spoken openly about Downing like FSW did over Barry. However the media rumours no

doubt eminating from Anfield HQ, surely have left the player and his agent in no doubt of the LFC's intentions.

Apparently the Times are running with this as well. From twitter..

THE TIMES "McLeish will inform [Downing] that he is not available for transfer... remains a key part of Villa’s plans for next season."

Hope he reminds him of the first year of his contract saw him take full advantage of the excellent treatment and rehabilitation facilities at BMH

whilst easing himself back from a broken ankle... and as we've only really had one decent season out of our £12M investment, it might be

nice to see a little pay back from Stewart.

I really wish MM could shead some light on this possible transfer and others! I guess his hands are tied...

The club know who he is his cover is blown.... and besides he gets nowt but abuse from some quarters.....

MM told us all exactly what AM said at the meeting with the fans.

Downing, Albrighton, Gabby & Bent were specifically mentioned as playing vital attacking roles this coming year.

Villa have managed to keep under wraps the new backroom management team and apart from a couple of rumours Given being the strongest..... NONE of us know who AM is after for midfield, GK or in fact defence. Which is how it should be until any deals are done and dusted.

I don't see why Downing would want to go to Liverpool right now other then money. Looking at their team and options he's going to find it very hard to get into their team a year before Euro 2012 which I'm sure he'll be desperate to go to. Unless of course Dalglish has plans to drop Kuyt who imo is one of the most underrated players in the league or Suarez who is far superior to him.

There's squad rotation but Downing isn't close to the England XI right now, and starting 20 or so games isn't going to get him anywhere near the team. If he wants to go though, **** him, he's a good player who I stood up for even when he was out of form but for £20m there are several players better then him. Although I don't have much confidence in our manager getting them giving his transfer record with attacking players.

This is the same Downing who was waffling on about how great the Champions League is.

Liverpool are not in Europe this coming season.

They are in the same boat as us - Premier League, FA Cup & Carling Cup.

Â